Main Menu

Big Bust of 49 V The Schicklgruber Grab - Bolt-01 Cup - Qualifying - Long: Game

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 July, 2021, 07:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Big Bust of 49 V The Schicklgruber Grab  - Bolt-01 Cup - Qualifying - Long: Game 06

Well since we've fitted all the games in this week I might as well get ahead on the Region with the most games to get through. So two games from the final group in the Long Region as we play matches 5 and 6 there.

All you need do is vote for your favourite between:

Big Bust of 49 - more info

Vs

The Schicklgruber Grab - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite of these two stories at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easy) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Monday 2nd August and the winner (I'll count up who gets the most votes basically) gets 3 points towards qualifying... huh...

... there's a spreadsheet to make following easier... if you fancy. If not, don't worry just VOTE!!!!

What on Earth is all this?

Why on Tharg's Earth head are we doing this?

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Dark Jimbo

Big Bust of '49 is a lot of fun, and Darkus' Howlers earn it a lot of goodwill; but it has to be The Shicklgruber Grag, doesn't it? The classic Johnny-Wulf-Gronk trio going for a jaunt back to WWII - well that alone is deserving of a vote. Add to that mix our first appearance of a Stix, some brilliant Doghouse-based shenanigans and lots of time travel, the Sternhammer silencer, and it's no contest, really.
@jamesfeistdraws

Magnetica

I think Jimbo has summed it up nicely. The Big Bust if great fun but the Schicklgruber Grab is iconic.

Just love the bit where Johnny uses the number 3 cartridge to burrow into Hilter's bunker.

Funt Solo

The Schicklgruber Grab - so good, so quotable, such great villains. The dervish dogs, the Sternhammer silencer, Stix.

It might be my favorite Strontium Dog story.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Buttonman

The stickle... the schticklegrub... the schticklegruer... fook it The Big Bust of 49.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 30 July, 2021, 10:39:19 AM
Big Bust of '49 is a lot of fun, and Darkus' Howlers earn it a lot of goodwill; but it has to be The Shicklgruber Grag, doesn't it? The classic Johnny-Wulf-Gronk trio going for a jaunt back to WWII - well that alone is deserving of a vote. Add to that mix our first appearance of a Stix, some brilliant Doghouse-based shenanigans and lots of time travel, the Sternhammer silencer, and it's no contest, really.

Perfectly summarized Dark Jimbo - for these reasons and more, The Schicklgruber Grab it is! I've been waiting for this one, it's is actually in my all time faveorate SD stories, possibly in my top three. I love the WW2 setting, time travel, Stix, the Sternhammer silencer ("put der sock in it Schicklgruber") and Carlos' beautiful artwork.

Colin YNWA

Another game hackering for more votes as this one is surprisingly - given the stories involved, very quiet. So get ya votes in.

Mind its a touch one to call. Both stories have so much to offer. So much and its tough on Big Bust of '49 that its come up against one of the definitive Strontium Dog stories. I mean you don't get some of the best designed mutants in the series ever tracking down Hitler in war torn Berlin, while the world's most famous gag (out of a Tarantino film) is introduced to us. The Big Bust is brilliant, but

The Schicklgruber Grab

is nailed on classic.

Leigh S

As others have said, The Shicklegruber Grab is nigh on peak Stront.  If they had dressed Johnny and Wulf up as German soldiers (and left the Gronk behind*!) I think it would be unassailably the most perfect encapsulation of the strip.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Leigh S on 01 August, 2021, 11:19:37 AM
...The Shicklegruber Grab is nigh on peak Stront.  If they had dressed Johnny and Wulf up as German soldiers (and left the Gronk behind*!) I think it would be unassailably the most perfect encapsulation of the strip.

Sacrilege! One of my favourite-ever Stront visuals is the Gronk playing cards with Hitler.
@jamesfeistdraws

AlexF

I can seethat, objectively, The Grab is the better story. It might even be THE archetypal Strontium Dog story. But i came to it very late and as such a lot of stuff that was actually new felt old. Whereas Big Bust was, I think, he first of the stories I read that was about just rounding up a bunch of bad guys, and having fun while doing it. So yeah, not mymost valid vote but I'm throwing it to Big Bust of 49.

Leigh S

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 01 August, 2021, 12:48:53 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 01 August, 2021, 11:19:37 AM
...The Shicklegruber Grab is nigh on peak Stront.  If they had dressed Johnny and Wulf up as German soldiers (and left the Gronk behind*!) I think it would be unassailably the most perfect encapsulation of the strip.

Sacrilege! One of my favourite-ever Stront visuals is the Gronk playing cards with Hitler.

ah yes, that was what the star was for - they could pick up the Gronk for the future section, but having him traipse along to Berlin is a bit much!

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well if the other tie was close this one was the opposite of close... so...err.... not close. At least in the score if not individual votes. Both of these thrills offer what you might call 'typical' Strontium Dog action but only one features an axe wielding head on two arms! The match clearly goes to

The Schicklgruber Grab

The Schicklgruber Grab  3  7
Royal Affair                      1  0
The Kid Knee Caper         1  0
The Big Bust of '49          0  -7