Main Menu

Prog 2137 : Mind how you go...

Started by Darren Stephens, 22 June, 2019, 08:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippynumber1

Quote from: MumboJimbo on 23 June, 2019, 02:55:49 PM
I don't think George Elliot wrote this week's Judge Dredd. She died in 1880.

I believe I, Cosh's point is that Kenneth Neimand is, most likely, a pseudonym, just like George Eliot.

Frank

EDITORIAL STAFF

Sidney Falco - Sub-editor Alan McKenzie, scripting Moonrunners
RE Wright - Editor Pat Mills subbing awful scripts by other writers
TMO - Editor or his sub, preserving the illusion of Tharg for young readers
Alan Smithee - Editor Dave Bishop heavily editing and/or rewriting Strontium Hoge
Sonny Steelgrave - Sub-editor John Tomlinson and/or editor Alan McKenzie writing Dredd, for reasons best known to themselves
Alvin Gaunt - Departed editor and sub-editor/former sub-editor Alan Grant, maybe to hide from IPC bosses but probably just to amuse themselves

FREELANCE WRITERS

Keef Ripey - John Wagner, trying not to spoil the surprise of The Dead Man
Rick Clark/Craig Lipp - Wagner & Grant, hiding the fact they were writing most of IPC's output
TB Grover - John Wagner, initially because he was still persona non grata at IPC after walking out on the dying Valiant

APOLLO C VERMOUTH

James 'Paul' McCartney - Moonlighting from The Fabs on Urban Spaceman with The Bonzos

Guys, I think it could be McCartney

athorist

I'll be honest, I didn't really understand what was going on with the previous Judge Anderson story (who's Karen? - is she from the old stories but redrawn, or a newer character, I've read all the Psi-Files volumes and some of the later stories were like that too). Great cover though.

And while it's a bit disappointing that next month's Megazine is reprinting The Candidate, a (admittedly a few years old now) story I've read from the progs, if they reprint the next one after that, (the story before this one) I'm ok with reading it again to try and make sense of it.

But I think the new story's looking ok at the moment, you only really need to know that [spoiler]Karen's possessed, and it pretty much tells you. Looks like she didn't put up any resistance because she knew the monster would attack, unless there's more to it. I think up to that point we were supposed to expect Cassandra and Flowers were going to break her out[/spoiler]

The Judge Dredd story looks interesting, I suppose it's too much to expect [spoiler]Dredd to let the Samaritan off for saving his life, about the best outcome I'd expect is her being made to train as a psi-judge, which doesn't seem likely at her age.[/spoiler]

Seeing as I haven't posted in the prog forum before, love Thistlebone, I think I convinced my non-prog-reading friend to get the book just from the Prog 2135 cover. The ten-page opening to establish a new story is a really great idea, really gave the story space. The only thing I found weird is how recent the Quilli sequel was, given the superficially similar subject matter.

I don't really have much to say about Absolom, I've only read Terminal Diagnosis book 1, I'm waiting for Caballistics from the Ultimate Collection. [spoiler]Nice moment with the doppelgängers though[/spoiler]

And Scarlet Traces is still strong, I find it hard to keep track of all the characters but it always makes sense in the end.
You need light here even in the morning
Compared to this St Petersburg was nothing

The Fall - No Bulbs

Link Prime

Quote from: Frank on 23 June, 2019, 08:51:00 PM

FREELANCE WRITERS

Keef Ripey - John Wagner, trying not to spoil the surprise of The Dead Man
Rick Clark/Craig Lipp - Wagner & Grant, hiding the fact they were writing most of IPC's output
TB Grover - John Wagner, initially because he was still persona non grata at IPC after walking out on the dying Valiant

Also;

G. Powell - Si Spurrier, with a Crispy surprise in The Vort.
Cal Hamilton - Dan Abnett, pinching our red noses.
Brian Skuter - John Wagner's 'Young Death' voice.

Has to be a couple more...

Jim_Campbell

Wasn't Helltrekkers by "F. Martin Candor", another Wagner/Grant pseudonym...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Proudhuff

Cover: Not the kind of thing I like... mind you I've been mumping my gums about how Cass is portrayed since Jesus was a cowboy. at least we cant see her stilettos in this shot.

Damage Report: Harsh but fair reviews, On sale now... looks like the reason I stopped going to ComicCons, so TMO is on the button(nose) marketing to those bright young things

Dredd: spot-on excellent story and art, loving Judge Patsy more please from the Callme Kenneth droid.

Scarlet Traces, soo fecking good, cant wait for next week's instalment never mind glorious hardbound euro editions... unfortunately that security guard's Little Englander mindset are current and ascendancy and not crude cliched ciphers.

Thistlebone? Thistle do nicely! wonderful use of the SD avis droid's talents

Anderson: Enjoyable tale, but think it could almost do with a 'Spider sense tingling' sort of thing when the story uses her powers? anyone know if this is current in the Dreddverse or in the past? Can we resurrect the 'what age is Anderson' thread while I'm at it...

Absalom: another cracker, nice interplay between the demons and outstanding artwork.

Tharg yer playing a blinder  :D :thumbsup:

DDT did a job on me

MumboJimbo

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 23 June, 2019, 06:54:53 PM
Quote from: MumboJimbo on 23 June, 2019, 02:55:49 PM
I don't think George Elliot wrote this week's Judge Dredd. She died in 1880.

I believe I, Cosh's point is that Kenneth Neimand is, most likely, a pseudonym, just like George Eliot.

Yeah I got that, in fact I called it a "nom de plume" in my original post. Cosh's point was that George Eliot was a male pseudonym for a female writer. And the point of that was to pull me up on my original assumption that the person behind the Neimand name was a man. My point was to purposefully misunderstand him (or maybe Cosh is a her - Jesus I won't be making that mistake again) and pretend he was actually claiming that George Eliot actually is Neimand and wrote this week's Dredd. You know, as a joke.

Proudhuff

I can confirm that Cosh fights, drinks writes like a girl...
DDT did a job on me

A.Cow

IMHO, given the quality of writing from-the-get-go, seems more likely that Neimand is an established author just trying to have fun without dragging 'name baggage' into it.  Suspects that spring to mind include Neil Gaiman, Jane Goldman, Graham Linehan or Russell T. Davies.

IndigoPrime

Graham Linehan? Er.

Niemand's strips feel deeply entrenched in Dredd lore. It's not surprising a few people have suggested this is Ewing in disguise. If it's not a pen name, Tharg needs to lock Neimand in a cupboard until he's written something like 500 Dredd scripts and inevitably gets swept away to USAville.

Fungus

Ideally Ken is real and is reading this tearing his hair out   ;)

My vote's for Al.
If it's Neil I'll give you the money meself.

sheridan

Quote from: Link Prime on 24 June, 2019, 12:54:13 PM
Cal Hamilton - Dan Abnett, pinching our red noses.

Was that the Malone story?

sheridan

Did anybody mention Mike Stott yet?

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

List of names: Or P. Wildbeest. Rick Clark, W Gosmore, Steve Alan, Ben Haldean, Jack Adrian, TGBW Cribbling, Bill Henry, Jack Hamilton Tee, James R Montague...

Also Ian Holland wrote a few things for New Eagle.