Main Menu

Sci-Fi Special 2016: Happy Holidays Creep!

Started by Ghost MacRoth, 17 July, 2016, 07:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost MacRoth

Cover: Excellent work from Mr Brown as always!

Dredd:  Nice to see McCarthy back on Dredd, and an enjoyable twist on 'Strangers on a Train' from Wagner!

Ace Trucking co. : Used to love this series when I wor a lad, so was pleasantly surprised to see it in there.  Enjoyable, if a bit short on substance.

Sinister Dexter:  Great art from Foster, very cinematic, and an amusing enough tale from our favorite gun sharks.

Poster:  Absolutely jaw dropping-ly gorgeous art from Chris Weston. 

Robo Hunter:  Loved RH back in the day, but when he retired in the late 80's, they should have left him retired.  They never seem to have got it right since.  Not an awful tale by any description, but not great.

Rogue Trooper:  Again, like all the other strips in the special, very much an enjoyable spread of art.  Hoping that this may be some kind of flashback sequence to the RT of old that we get a bit more of, as that'd be very nice!

Overall, a great special!
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Timothy

Any idea why this is marked as not available on the iPad app?

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Timothyjacobs on 20 July, 2016, 10:28:30 AM
Mine the same.
I want to the inline store and bought the digital copy there.
Came back and restarted the iPad app and then it showed up and downloaded.
Don't know if that helps.

2000ADWebDroid

Oops! We're looking into this, hope to have this sorted out soon. Will post here when resolved.

Fungus

Priced £3.99, scans as £3.50 at WH Smith self-service thingy. The Galaxy's Greatest Barcode.

Anzati

*Quickly checks his receipt* So it does; £3.50 for me too (also just noticed that only one copy of the Prog scanned too, so I appear to have gotten one for free... bonus I guess).

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Anzati on 20 July, 2016, 03:35:22 PM
*Quickly checks his receipt* So it does; £3.50 for me too (also just noticed that only one copy of the Prog scanned too, so I appear to have gotten one for free... bonus I guess).

I don't think the bar code holds the price data. I think it just feeds the SKU to the till system which looks it up in a database that provides the price. Hopefully, it's a data entry error by WHS, who will have to swallow the 49p loss.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

2000ADWebDroid

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 20 July, 2016, 12:31:44 PM
Mine the same.
I want to the inline store and bought the digital copy there.
Came back and restarted the iPad app and then it showed up and downloaded.
Don't know if that helps.

We're still looking into the problem with the availability of the 2000 AD Summer Special 2016 in iOS, but haven't been able to find the problem yet.

In the meantime, the above workaround will work i.e. go to one of our online stores, login using you usual 2000 AD / Rebellion email address and password, then buy the digital version of the 2000 AD Summer Special 2016:

https://account.rebellion.co.uk/products/product/SPE1601D (recommended link to use)
or
http://shop.2000adonline.com/products/digitalgn_2000_ad_summer_special_2016

Once purchased, if you're logged into the iOS app, your entitlements should sync after a little while (restarting the app should force this to happen) and then the 2000 AD Summer Special 2016 should be available to download in the iOS app.

Will post again if/when we manage to sort out the underlying problem

Fungus

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 July, 2016, 03:45:05 PM
Quote from: Anzati on 20 July, 2016, 03:35:22 PM

I don't think the bar code holds the price data. I think it just feeds the SKU to the till system which looks it up in a database that provides the price. Hopefully, it's a data entry error by WHS, who will have to swallow the 49p loss.

FWIW I've had to draw their attention to being overcharged on other items. It cuts both ways. Be vigilant! (What do you mean you don't always check your receipt...?)

Darren Stephens

Enjoyed all the strips in this special. My highlights where Dredd, of course, but also brilliant to see Nigel Dobyn back in the 2000AD fold. A great artist and very well suited to drawing Ace and Co.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Dandontdare

Well that was chock-full of old-skool thrills, which is just what you want in a summer special - and I got the inadvertent WH Smith discount as well!

Great to see McCarthy on Dredd and it was a good meant'n'potatoes mega-city crime yarn, which we get all too few of these days.

Robohunter, Rogue Trooper and Ace Trucking - all tickled my nostalgia muscle in the appropriate manner and captured the feel of the originals perfectly, unlike any of the various attempted reboots of these characters over the years. Sinister Dexter also harked back to the amusing one-off format of the past after the overly long Moses/Generica saga - hope these two will be back in the prog regularly for some good ol' fashioned Downlode wacking!

And then all this is topped off with a lovely double-page chunk of Chris Weston loveliness in the middle.

A very satisfying read overall, no duffers in the mix and it took me back to Summer holidays of my childhood *sigh*

2000ADWebDroid

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 21 July, 2016, 11:13:30 AM
A splendid summer treat indeed.
But no poster in the digital version?

We're looking into what we might be able to do here, as a few people have asked about this, we may be able to either add it onto the end of the main comic PDF/CBZ, or else offer it as a separate download (from the Rebellion Account Portal website: https://account.rebellion.co.uk/2000ad/download ) for those who've purchased the digital version, but we need to look into how feasible this is going to be.

2000ADWebDroid

Quote from: 2000ADWebDroid on 20 July, 2016, 12:32:56 PM

Oops! We're looking into this, hope to have this sorted out soon. Will post here when resolved.

Still not resolved I'm afraid, but we're re-submitting the IAP for this to Apple to see if that makes a difference, just waiting now for Apple to approve it. In the meantime, the workaround mentioned earlier in this thread is still an option for those who can't wait.

ZenArcade

I have been really busy, but made a point of buying The Prog, the Meg and the Sci Fi special all at once in the shop.   It's not often you get such an alignment of Thrill infused joy.  Now to get the time to read the damn things. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead