Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade Falcon

Never heard of Finn, what is it, and why is it so bad.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Tjm86

Bit of an odd piece of work IIRC, spun out of Crisis and one of the Third World War characters.  Full of Mills' favourite axes ... lizard people running the world, masonic sects, pagan warriors, fascist police, corrupt politicians ... Then it goes full on mental ...

Richard

The first two books of Finn were pretty good. The art was fantastic, and I wish we'd seen more from whoever that was. Later stories were not so good. The first two were reprinted in the Megazine floppies a couple of years ago.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Alternatively... Finn was absolutely fantastic and completely, solely, responsible for keeping me involved in the prog when it was collapsing around my ears with every issue. Yes, this was because I was young and very into paganism, and so the strip was absolutely made for me (and, I think, a significant proportion of the readership at the time). And yes, it is the most Pat Mills of Pat Mills strips- but if you are as fond of Pat Mills' writing  as I am, and indeed as fond of your younger self as I am, despite now being old and not at all interested in paganism (and that, despite being now married to a witch), it's still a frequently hilarious and always angry action strip, with the best/ worst of nineties comic excesses and the most incredible visuals. Finn's mask alone is a thing of ugly beauty. It's mad, and I love it.

SBT

sintec

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 16 July, 2021, 05:58:49 PM
I suspect this will be a case of read once then leave on the shelf to make up the spine image, as per Red Razors.

I didn't even manage read once with that dross. Gave up after the first story and skipped to the Samizdat Squad stuff which was at least coherent.

davidbishop

There's a reason why the second series of Red Razors was rejected by the Megazine.

IndigoPrime

The danger, I feel, is in the 2000 AD UC 'degrading' in the manner the Judge Dredd one suffered throughout. Objectively, you could have dropped a dozen books from the Dredd collection and it would have only made things better. That they're cheap books for what you get (HC 200+ page volumes for a tenner!) doesn't excuse things when a volume's end to end crud, and the essay at the back essentially has creators and others saying what you just read was a crock of shit.

The 2000 AD UC has been a much more even collection in that regard, with very little cruft. I personally could have done with less of some series that outstayed their welcome (Robo-Hunter and Sláine could have had chunks cut out of them, for example), but people like complete runs. I get that. So looking through that initial 80 volumes, there's little I'd remove when thinking more widely about the greater readership.

For me, that ramped up even further with the first extension. Sure, I'd happily boot Greysuit into the sea, but everything else so far has at worst been very good, and at best has included some of the finest strips to grace the pages of 2000 AD. but what happens from 112–140 may well be a marked shift. I guess we'll see once the full set is announced—assuming it ever is. (Hachette might not bother and keep everyone guessing.)

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sintec on 17 July, 2021, 09:02:26 AM
Quote from: abelardsnazz on 16 July, 2021, 05:58:49 PM
I suspect this will be a case of read once then leave on the shelf to make up the spine image, as per Red Razors.

I didn't even manage read once with that dross. Gave up after the first story and skipped to the Samizdat Squad stuff which was at least coherent.

My favourite Red Razors fact, for those who don't know - Nigel Dobbyn hated the strip so much that he deliberatley sabotaged the final page of artwork. The script called for a kid finding the dead Razor's discarded badge and holding it defiantly aloft at the foot of the Kremlin, inspired to rebellion by his fallen hero. Dobbyn instead drew the kid tossing it away in disgust.

The fact that nobody in editorial noticed, or cared enough to ask him to re-draw it, says everything you need to know.
@jamesfeistdraws

The Corinthian

Not the first time that Millar thought it was cool to end a story with a big "up yours!" to... well, everyone... and not the last time either.

Jade Falcon

I must admit that I'm starting to be concerned with the quality of some of the things that are starting to appear and that some of the ones stuff that should be in it has no sign of appearing.  I'm in favour of older stuff as well, but I still think Black Atlantic not being present is a major omission.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

sintec

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 18 July, 2021, 12:03:56 AM
I must admit that I'm starting to be concerned with the quality of some of the things that are starting to appear and that some of the ones stuff that should be in it has no sign of appearing.  I'm in favour of older stuff as well, but I still think Black Atlantic not being present is a major omission.

Rest of this year looks pretty solid imo. Looking forwards to pretty much all of the remaining titles in the run to 111.

101 - The Red Seas Vol 4
102 - Mercy Heights
103 - Absalom
104 - Brink Vol 2
105 - The Order
106 - Grey Area Vol 2
107 - Defoe Vol 2
108 - Tales of Telguuth
109 - Tyranny Rex
110 - Judge Dredd: the Small House
111 - Strontium Dog: Repo Men

But yeah it'd be nice to have a bit more of an idea what's coming in 2022. From the FB post and spine reveal I think we've put together ~18 books which is ~60% of the run. That leaves ~11 unknown volumes to fill and I think it's a safe bet at least one of those will be some kind of Dredd volume.

Jade Falcon

I'll be honest, I don't even know what a good chunk of that stuff is, as it was beyond the era of 2000ad that I read, obviously barring continuations of material thats already been in the collection like Red Seas.

Hackenbush

You can now order up to issue 111 on Forbidden Planet, for those wishing to avoid the standard subscription / cherrypick.

paulbyrnewex

One potential idea that they could do is volumes collecting strips from certain years say have Volume 1983 or Volume 1990 etc.

Barrington Boots

Anyone had Red Seas volume 4? It's been advertised on the back on the last couple of progs, but it's not up on Hachette's website yet (or Forbidden Planet). It'd be maddening to miss it.
You're a dark horse, Boots.