Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Outlaw v Journey into Hell - Bolt-01 Cup - Qualifying - Epic: Game 02

Next in the Qualifying groups two ties from the Epic Stories Region, Group 1

All you need do is vote for your favourite between:

Outlaw - more info

Vs

Journey into Hell - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite of these two stories at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easy) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 24th July and the winner (I'll count up who gets the most votes basically) gets 3 points towards qualifying... huh...

... there's a spreadsheet to make following easier... if you fancy. If not, don't worry just VOTE!!!!

What on Earth is all this?

Why on Tharg's Earth head are we doing this?

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

Oh and my 'More info' links... well I don't say how much more and they get pretty wonky at times!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Dark Jimbo

I've never much liked Journey into Hell. It's a messy, meandering tale that takes a long time to get nowhere in particular. It very much feels like Wagner was making it up as he went along. I much prefer the 'take two' of Roadhouse, it has to be said. So I'm voting Outlaw for this one.
@jamesfeistdraws

Magnetica

JiH has always felt different to other Stront stories. And not in a good way.

So I'm going for Outlaw.

Barrington Boots

Journey into Hell is not a good SD story in my opinion. There's some nice ideas in there but it's meandering and just frankly not all that interesting: I find I always skip it when doing an SD reread.
On the other hand Outlaw is great and gets my vote.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

Journey into Hell has a very old-school comics vibe, with it just doing stuff. Outlaw feels coherent and considered. Both have their moments, but Outlaw for me wins out by some margin.

AlexF

Outlaw is INTERMINABLE. Sure, there's a lot of good stuff in it but even as a reader who only came to it in back progs, it just seemed to go on forever. I like the final showdown with the Stixes though. Journey into Hell, on the other hand, is super weird and fascinating. Sure, it's on odd duck in the Stront Universe but it gave us the Weerd Brothers, possibly my three favourite mutants, and for some reason the whole sequence with Mr Sun and Mr Moon has really lingered with me in the ay nightmares do.

Journey into Hell all the way! Who's with me?

Buttonman

Outlaw for me - felt Journey into Hell took the supernatural elements of Alpha's world and made them a bit silly.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

sheridan

Journey Into Hell had its moments (including early CB lingo from Wagner) but Outlaw has world-building, Stixes, continuity tie-ins and is more cohesive.

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 21 July, 2021, 09:51:24 AM
Journey Into Hell had its moments (including early CB lingo from Wagner) but Outlaw has world-building, Stixes, continuity tie-ins and is more cohesive.

(that's a vote for Outlaw)

Tjm86

Hmmm, right from the get-go this is a challenge.

Outlaw is one of those 'second generation' tales where the creators were really into their stride.  Classic characters, amazing artwork (even by Ezquerra's high standards), that twist ...

Journey Into Hell by contrast is one of those early tales full of great ideas that doesn't quite hang together completely at times but you have Ezquerra's rendition of Dante's Inferno.  Of all Tooth artwork, pieces from this strip would be on my Grail List.

This is what this cup is going to be like pretty much throughout.  The difference in quality between the two ... I'm going to come down to nostalgia for the decider and plug for Journey Into Hell. 

moogie101

Outlaw for me, more because I dislike Journey into Hell than for any other reason.

Southstreeter

Outlaw

Never been a fan of JIH. In fact I've never been that keen on early Stront. Outlaw follows The Killing in my case files, and it struck me that the hits just kept coming around that period.