Main Menu

Prog 2242 - Judging The Judges!

Started by Goosegash, 26 July, 2021, 10:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goosegash

This week's prog in brief:

Dredd: Satisfying dose of Wagnerian gravitas.

Skip Tracer: Disappointing fridging leaves underdeveloped lead holding baby

Department K: Intriguing escalation (or should that be egg-scalation)

Sinister: Exposition as only Abnett can deliver it

Aquila: A refined mix of problem-solving and extreme violence.

In summary, then: Breezes.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tjm86

Quote from: Goosegash on 26 July, 2021, 10:17:58 PM

Skip Tracer: Disappointing fridging leaves underdeveloped lead holding baby

TBH that is an incredibly accurate summation.  I find myself slowly joining the throng of people who have little time for Skip Tracer.  In fact it may be that the title itself becomes dangerously accurate ...

Barrington Boots

Nice cover but not a brilliant Prog for me this week.

Dredd: Feels a little slower this week as Dredd takes time explaining the copycat killer isn't relevant to the story (unless it is) - other than that, this is cool stuff.

Skip Tracer: Well, we all hoped this was turning a corner after the last series and it did: it's got worse. This is poor stuff.

Department K: Still not interested in this but it looks great (love that frame of Estaban tackling the alien)

Sinister: Not interested in this either sadly, so not much to say beyond Sinister is incredibly annoying here.

Aquila: Second episode in a row that's looked tremendous but left me feeling a bit unsatisfied. I think it may be the format: each episode has been adversery arrives (pirates, Cronos, warring armies etc) and then the heroes beat them and move onto next episode. It's all very good, but also feels like it could be better at this point (as much as a bloke charging into the ear of a titan can be bettered).

My not enjoying Department K and Sinister are on me, but Skip Tracer feels like it's used up it's goodwill by now. Can we have Paul Marshall on something else please?
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Tomontherun94

Letter of the week felt very "In episode 2F09, when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is a magic xylophone, or something?"

broodblik

Functional prog but 3 strips are just middling around all readable but not grabbing me. But we all know that this is the nature of the beast when we read an anthology. 

Dredd – Some detective work and Dredd goes into analysing the clues and a lot of talking but for the benefit of the reader. The "real" plot is revealed, and we see now know the real "victim"

Skip Tracer – A lot of harsh criticism and yes this is not the story that will have the comic-fraternity stand-up and take notice it is generic but still readable.

Department K – This episode more focus one the battle of the eggy thing/ball of light/the heart of the beast and he controls that he controls something/universe/bragging rights. This is not bad not the best around but keeps my interest. Lovely art from Cornwell script-wise it still feels too much like an American comic.

Sinister – The Sin is back, and the AI is not up too any good. Next round it looks like we will focus on the flight of the Dexter for a showdown between the two.

Aquila – Once big action driven episode and one that does not push the plot forward but gives Goddard time to show-off some nice boss-end battle.

norton canes

Oh dear. I would be reviewing this week's prog right about now, except...

I took a few magazines into town in my bag to hand in at the charity shop. And I ended up handing in the magazines after I'd bought this week's prog. And guess what I ended up doing...

Yeah.

Back to the charity shop tomorrow morning.

Dudley

Quote from: norton canes on 28 July, 2021, 04:24:58 PM
Back to the charity shop tomorrow morning.

To buy back your own copy?  :lol:

Jacqusie

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 27 July, 2021, 02:01:06 PM

Sinister: Not interested in this either sadly, so not much to say beyond Sinister is incredibly annoying here.

Here, there and sadly everywhere.

I'm at a loss with this storyline / plot that has been going round and round, along with the alternative universe tripe where the characters have seemingly become so far from what they began as hitmen and are now just bit-part players dissappearing up the series' own rectum

We thought there might be blessed relief at the conclusion of the last series, however the premise of a 2000AD character actually dying and staying dead is no more and so I question as to why bother with the dramatic so called 'death' scenes in the first place?

So I take it we will see the return of Skip Tracers ex-missus next prog?  :think:

broodblik

Quote from: Jacqusie on 28 July, 2021, 08:34:49 PM
So I take it we will see the return of Skip Tracers ex-missus next prog?  :think:

Too early maybe give it 2 weeks but we might see the real enemy in Department K Judge Rico

norton canes

Right... one rescue mission to Barnardo's later, this week's prog is safely back in my possession.

A mixed bag of strips - I guess you could say 'something for everyone' as long as one of the things some people want is a rather tedious ongoing saga about a bounty hunter with psychic powers.

Dredd continues to impress despite a very bubble-heavy second page. The sequence where Francisco casually disorients a group of mutants before wading into them to dispense summary justice is classic Wagner. Do we think Kurt Vish and his rundown are going to feature in the main plot? Or will Dredd's method of apprehending Gort and/or Justice Watch simply be his no.1?

I quite like the twist Sinister has taken and enjoyed the A.I.'s flat single-mindedness, as well as the artistic touch of the arrows constantly directed towards it. Surprised and delighted to see it's getting at least three consecutive weeks!

It's fair to say that Aquila is delivering the thrills on a week-by-week basis rather than constructing a complex over-arching plot, but there's nothing wrong with that - on the contrary, in fact, it's nice that a strip recognises the GGC's heritage as a comic where most stories delivered largely self-contained thrill-bursts.

Which leaves Department K once again providing a treat for the visual receptors if not perhaps the dialogue receiving circuits. Also, there's another gift from Joko Jargo hoving into view in the near future. Is the GGC undergoing an identity crisis? At the risk of sounding melodramatic, it needs to work out what it wants to be or it'll alienate more current readers than it will attract new ones.

broodblik

Quote from: norton canes on 29 July, 2021, 05:16:43 PM
......Also, there's another gift from Joko Jargo hoving into view in the near future. Is the GGC undergoing an identity crisis? At the risk of sounding melodramatic, it needs to work out what it wants to be or it'll alienate more current readers than it will attract new ones.

For me it is always about finding the right balance in strips. Yes, do feel that the current run's balance is a little bit off but the upcoming strip "we shall not mention" will be part of a strong line-up The Out, Scarlet Traces and The Diaboliks. Something for everyone.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I've put off buying this week's because I am sick to death of having to go into town three or four times a week- in an effort to just do every sodding thing I need to do on one day, I won't be getting the prog (and Shift and Panini Batman) til Saturday or Sunday.

That said, I've already read on one of the many Facebook groups seemingly dedicated to middle aged men who read the comic for a couple of years decades ago and who are a) unaware it's still going and b) absolutely convinced it must be rubbish (oh and c- not at all interested in comics in general, seeing them as entirely for kids) that this week's prog is so bad it's led to people giving it up entirely. Like they say every week. Without fail.*

So it's nice to come home here and see some positive comments and constructive criticism and jokes**.

SBT

*If I have to mention Brink/ Lawless/ Dante to another hairy-arsed Farage-follower with an England flag profile picture when they ask for examples of 'stuff as good as Sam Spade Robot Hunter' or 'that Dredd where he fights Russians' I will make a YouTube video of me burning a Judge Death Lives Titan volume.

**jokes not about immigrants, that is.

Colin YNWA

Late to the party as I've been away but home now and with Prog.

Dredd - well its grand isn't it. Its fantastiv craft pure and simple. I'm loving Dredd guiding, I love Fransico grinning. Its glorious.

Skip Tracer - Its high octance, it always is, but now it matters - see its not hard is it!

Department K - Yep its greart, setting up the finale nicely with an exciting episode. This story has been a triumph and now all it has to do is stick the landing.

Sinister - Its playing to its critics isn't it. Two episodes of exposition as returns explained last time, this time how Sinister will clash with Dexter. I enjoyed it but its lacking a spark at the moment.

Aquila - Well if your gonna take down Zeus' popps that's the way to do it. Pure Harryhausen fun this episode!

Great Prog.