Main Menu

Jodie Whittaker to leave Doctor Who.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 29 July, 2021, 03:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 04 August, 2021, 02:27:25 PM
Capaldi is my favourite of the new Doctors

Possibly mine, too. I liked the spiky, somewhat alien Doctor of his first series, but loathed the Cool Dad/Uncle iteration in his second, and really enjoyed the professorial turn in his third, with the Doc/Bill/Nardole dynamic working surprisingly well.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

I liked P.Caps finale speech, but then 2017 had in general been an all time low for me so maybe I just really responded to one of my favourite living actors effectively telling a future him that everything will be alright and change, no matter how painful or unwelcome, is always good.

Tjm86

Quote from: wedgeski on 04 August, 2021, 02:13:41 PM
... that's a lot of scripts to go into without a plan.

You have been paying attention to the competence of the present government, haven't you?   :o

IndigoPrime

FWIW, I personally liked Capaldi a lot, bar the middle bit Jim noted. His aloof, alien first series was interesting, and his last was the best of Moffat's run. On merchandising, I have no insider knowledge, but have heard from multiple parties that things went very wrong during that area, and it was in part due to kids not being thrilled about toys of an old bloke. That said, the BBC's inability to get the show out for a run every year doesn't help—and, frankly, baffles me.

Even shorter series would work. Eight episodes and a festive special, like clockwork, would be fine if the individual episodes were all bloody good. Keep them standalone and focused and thread a light arc through them. Perhaps two-part the finale.

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 04 August, 2021, 02:43:55 PMI liked P.Caps finale speech, but then 2017 had in general been an all time low for me so maybe I just really responded to one of my favourite living actors effectively telling a future him that everything will be alright and change, no matter how painful or unwelcome, is always good.
For what it's worth, I wasn't against the general sentiment of the speech, just that it went on far, far too long.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 04 August, 2021, 02:51:33 PM
On merchandising, I have no insider knowledge, but have heard from multiple parties that things went very wrong.

TBH, you only have to look at the radical contraction in the Dr Who comics being published during the Capaldi era to see this in action. It's said because, again, I liked Capaldi a lot, but there you go...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 August, 2021, 06:39:37 PM
It's said SAD because, again, I liked Capaldi a lot, but there you go...

Gah. Too slow to edit the typo.