Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noisybast

You never know what might happen further down the line. There's always room for sequels...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

mygrimmbrother

Very much enjoyed Martha Marcy May Marlene the other night. She's really the little sister of Mary-Kate & Ashley?? The mind boggles. John Hawkes is fantastic.

Gonna follow it tonight with the new Conan (despite multiple warnings not to bother!).

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 08 February, 2012, 02:38:06 PM
Gonna follow it tonight with the new Conan (despite multiple warnings not to bother!).

Have I given you that warning yet? If not, don't watch it. ...my conscience is clear.

Quote from: Van Dom on 07 February, 2012, 06:52:26 PM
LOD do you have Pontypool? Have you watched it. It's a zombie movie with a difference, very very good. (I thought anyway). Worth a look, mate.

I watched this last night. What a strange film. I completely bought into the scenario - great tension, having an epidemic unfold via radio reports. The actual disease...I found that a bit wonky, but overall I enjoyed it. I tried Waking the Undead as a chaser and only managed about 15 minutes of it.

von Boom

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 08 February, 2012, 02:38:06 PM

As much as I HATED Conan, if you are not a Conan fan you might like it. My wife has only ever seen the Conan the Barbarian from 1982 and she said she enjoyed it as a sword and sandal type film.

If you've ever read any Robert E. Howard stories though you will be dismayed.

JvB

Third Estate Ned

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 07 February, 2012, 08:19:43 PM
Quote from: Dr. Dog on 07 February, 2012, 08:04:11 PM
Can anyone tell me how to hyperlink so that you get clickable blue text, rather than pasting and showing the URL?

You do it like this.

Thanks, that's very kind, Legendary Shark. Until I hovered over the link and saw what it was, though, I thought you were just being cheeky. Ta or the info.

Back to the thread, watched Polanski's new one Carnage. Appreciated that they wanted to create a close, claustrophobic feeling so that the characters seem trapped in each other's unwanted company BUT the whole time I was thinking: just leave the f'ing flat, will you! Everyone else seemed to like it but me, which was the inverse reaction to Terminator Salvation at the time.

Gonk

Read a review of Carnage. Doesn't it have Kate Winslet in it.? From what you've said Drdog it sounds similar to a Jean Paul Satre play No Exit.
coming at a cinema near you soon

Mardroid

Zombieland.

Very enjoyable if a bit predictable in places.* Not a bad thing,  though. It still managed to do something different. And it was funny in places.

*Don't highlight unless you've seen it: [spoiler]Who didn't forecast what would happen to BM when he played that trick, for one thing. Actually the whole ending scene after that was kinda odd... I didn't really buy the tragedy, but I think maybe that was intentional what with the girl laughing and all. The bit after that was genuinely heart rending though.[/spoiler]

Professor Bear

Three Musketeers, which is the most willfully stupid film I can recall seeing - and that's coming from a man who within the last seven days has watched a film that opened with a fistfight between a robot and a bull which then got stupider.  It's so dumb that it actually caught me off-guard several times with the depths of stupidity it could plumb, which does not actually happen very often.  Airship battles, laser tripwires, ninja fights, Aramis as Batman, the Duke of Buckingham cosplaying as Adam Ant, and a theme song which features the lyrics "and then we were traveling at the speed of love", this is easily one of the most entertaining things I've seen in ages and if you can't find it in your heart to enjoy it then I think you're a jerk.

Ghastly McNasty

Quotefistfight between a robot and a bull
Sounds awesome.

Watched The Human Centipede 2 last night. I liked how they integrated the previous movie. Nice touch. The rest of the film is just depraved.

It's a decent film and the lead character is well played considering he doesn't speak for the entire movie. But...my god is this film a wrong un. They've gone for it, all guns blazing, to make the most horrible film they could possibly make and for that I applaud them because they sucedeed. It's truly disgusting. Do yourself a favour, don't watch it.

Van Dom

You do realise telling me not to watch Human Centipede 2 just makes me want to watch it more than I did before, don't you. :)

Watched the remake of Amityville Horror last night. It sucked. Ryan Reynolds did well enough with his role I guess and there were a couple of genuine good scares, but overall it was all a bit plodding and tedious with a predictable ending (which was actually nearly avoided) .

Also started to watch something called The Strangers, with Liv Tyler, but after 15 minutes when the two leads were still moping around their house because the girl had just turned down the guys marriage proposal I was bored out of my brain and had to turn it off. Has anybody seen this? Is it worth going back to?
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Gonk

Film set in Johannesburg called "Tsotsi". This is good, based on a novel by Athol Fugard, I won't give the story away but it involves a ganster/thug who is more or less "on the road to Damascus". It's good 10 out of 10.
coming at a cinema near you soon

radiator

Bronson - demented and entertaining biopic of the other Charles Bronson. Amazing performance by Tom Hardy.

Valhalla Rising by the same director - after a promising start, it quickly descends into ponderous, self indulgent, plotless bollocks. Clearly a lot of talent involved in the direction, cinematography, editing and acting, all of which (IMO) counts for very little without an engaging story. And I twigged the twist - if you can call it that - about half an hour in. Avoid.

mygrimmbrother

Now see I'm the other way round - loved Valhalla Rising, found it very immersive, cinematography and score and Mads Mikkelson looking all fucked up and primal. But Bronson I found a bit too self aware, despite looking forward to it a lot and also loving 'Drive'. Maybe I built it up too much.

The Enigmatic Dr X

PONTYPOOL

Loved it. A great character piece and underplayed zombie madness with a really cheery ending ([spoiler]the main characters find a way to cure the infection but are bombed to pieced by the miliraty before they can tell anyone[/spoiler]).

Nice variation on the infection, too: infected words make you go zombie, so speaking is a problem - especially as the film is set entirely in a talk radio station!

It's based on the book Pontypool Changes Everything, which I tried to read years ago but found to be a confusion mess. It may have been written to be a confusing mess (it's from the point of view of the infected as they go mad) but that didn't make it readable.

It's kicking about the Horror Channel, if anyone fancies it.
Lock up your spoons!

radiator

I didn't love either film to be fair, but at least Bronson actually had things happening in it, some humour and a memorable central performance. A sloppy but entertaining film.

Really don't understand how anyone could appreciate Valhalla Rising on anything other than a superficial technical level. As I said, lovely looking, atmospheric film and clearly made by talented people, but it's a plotless, pretentious bore through and through. Felt like a big budget student film.

Out of the six of us watching it, two fell asleep long before the end. I was astonished to find afterwards that it was just over 90 minutes long, as it felt like well over 120.

Drive felt to me a lot more focused and restrained. A gorgeous looking, stylish and sweet film with a real sense of menace and an engaging relationship at its heart.