Main Menu

Cheap Thrills - the only January sale you'll want in 2012

Started by Emperor, 01 January, 2012, 09:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

My 2010 Progs arrived today. This whole experience has been rather great. I generally don't like ordering overseas due to high shipping costs and fear of damaged goods, or hang ups in customs.

But this has all been rather smooth, and pretty fast. My first order arrived in two weeks. This second one, only a week and a half.

And the savings. Even with Shipping costing more then the books themselves, spending just $200 for what would have cost $500+ if I had bought the issues in singles as they came out (or worse, tried to buy them as back issues domestically) has been a great stroke of luck.

Now its time to take a break from buying, and just kick back with some THRILL POWER. I just can't wait to get into reading stuff I've missed like Age of the Wolf, Damnation Station, Ichabod Azrael, The Life & Death of Johnny Alpha, Kingdom The Wild, and Shakara the Destroyer.

And apparently a million Pat Mills comics. They guy seems to have been busy between 2009 and 2010.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Mardroid

Not really on topic, but it's kind of related, and I didn't want to start a new thread.

I've been wanting to get hold of a Dredd action figure for a while. Unfortunately they all appear to be sold out of the shop so didn't make the sale, so I went the ebay route.

I'd hoped to get the Reaction figure but ended up missing the one available. I prefer the face sculpt and accessories with that one (Dredd should come with a day-stick I think) but ended up getting the Legendary Heroes version. I daftly ended up paying more than I'd liked, considering this was for an unpackaged second hand figure. Probably not that much considering there aren't all that many, and probably still cheaper than the original price, but when comparing to the price of the NEW figures in the 2000 AD shop sale... oh dear...

Basically I bidded right at the end of the auction, entering an amount thinking "I bet someone has bid higher, so I doubt I'll get it anyway..." then won.

To be fair, it's in mint condition and it comes with all the goodies apart from the Pitt thing, which I don't want anyway. (There seem to be a few of these sold like this, on ebay. I wonder if the original owner bought the figure purely for the Pitt attachment and decided to flog on the main fiugre.)

Anyway. It arrived today, and I'll admit, I'm quite impressed. The elbow pad colour is wrong (although in some of the older coloured comics it appears that way). I'm not keen on the face and the cleft chin look, and as I said, it doesn't come with a day-stick. On the other hand you get two versions of the lawgiver, which was a nice touch.  The armour doesn't appear to be detachable*, which was a nice feature of Reaction figures, but, on the other hand it's not likely to accidentally pop off which happens easily with the Judge Death figure I have. It could use a better paint job, but I've thought the same of the Reaction figures too.

I haven't handled the Reaction Dredd, but if the articulation is anything like Johnny Alpha or Slaine, this figure is quite a bit better in that way.** He's even got a joint for the balls of his feet, meaning his toes move! Unfortunately the shoulder armour and badge restricts movement of his left arm, but even so.

Anyway, it's not a bad rangy looking version of Dredd and it's got a lot of nice detail. I will probably still keep an eye out for a Reaction version but this isn't a bad version for a collection. Not that I really have much of a collection.  I shouldn't have paid that amount for a second hand figure though, but I doubt I've have picked it up much cheaper.

*(or maybe it's just fixed tightly. I don't want to chance breaking it. I have seen pictures of this figure sans helmet though. Shock!)

** Judge Death can't even move his legs, but he is an exception with these figures.

Gonk

I was thinking of buying one or two Mardroid. I haven't actually seen one of them. Worth having? How much did you pay for one?... about...
coming at a cinema near you soon

Gonk

More books from the sale arrived today. I'm really pleased with them. I didn't have t o wait long, so I've ordered a few more from the sale while it's still going. That's my summer reading sorted out. Thanks 2000ad!!

vark

Gonk

I'm not sure, until stock lasts maybe. That's why I've ordered a second lot of stuff, I was so pleased with my books I thought I'd get more before the sale ends.

Mardroid

Quote from: wonkychop on 08 February, 2012, 11:51:00 PM
I was thinking of buying one or two Mardroid. I haven't actually seen one of them. Worth having? How much did you pay for one?... about...

I ended up paying £11.17 for the Dredd excluding postage and packing. It makes me wince when I consider I bought packaged figures for £2.45 from the 2000 AD store... (Judge Death and Slaine this year. I bought a Johnny Alpha the year before's sale, but I think that was bit more, but still great value)  and as I said this was unpacked. (Out of the original packaging I mean, the person who sent it to me packed it very well.) 

That's actually probably not that expensive really. I don't think second hand figures should be more than a fiver, (the figures in the 2000 AD sale are amazingly good value) especially when unpacked, but on ebay that's probably a pretty standard price when bidders have finished. Mind you a tenner seems a lot to me for new figures and I see that new 6" figures can easily go for £15 at Forbidden Planet. (Those were terminator figures, and the like- excellent likeness by the way- but I seem to remember the Legendary Heroes figures going for around the same price, but don't hold me to that.)

I thought the figure was pretty nice, and (despite disgust at myself forking out more than I'd like) I'm please with it. Worth getting? Really a matter of taste I guess. As I said, I think the face sculpt on the Reaction figure is better, but there's more articulation on this one. Swings and roundabouts. Don't get if yellow elbow pads piss you off though. Heh.

Gonk

Oh eleven quid's not too bad, it would be double that if still packaged right?

klute

Walked in from work to find the Complete nemesis the warlock 1 and 2 waiting for me...shame they have to now go away till my birthday in april :( Nvm i'll console myself with some more buy's at the end of the month
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

Taryn Tailz

Only had to wait a week for my order this time around. Looking forward to reading Atavar but first I've got a couple of Extreme Editions to take a look at. :D

vark

Quote from: vark on 09 February, 2012, 09:36:38 PM
When does this second sale ends ?

I have asked Denise, it ends at the end of February. Yessss

Gonk

O Lucky Stevie!

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

AntonyCatton

Just waiting for the 2 Durham Red novels as well as the 2 V.Cs novels in the sale.really looking forward to reading em as I don't know much about either series.  :lol:

Colin Zeal

Just made my order. Taken a punt on a few things I haven't read due to the low prices so could be hit or miss but I got the following for £40 including postage so musn't grumble.

1) Atavar

(1) Bison

(1) Necronauts

(1) Banzai Battalion

(1) Carver Hale: Twisting the Knife

(1) Shakara - The Avenger

(1) Bec and Kawl: Bloody Students

(1) Family
(1) INVASION!