Main Menu

Prog 2190 - Slice n' dice!

Started by Colin YNWA, 11 July, 2020, 05:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Pedant hoist by own petard: Vissek = Fezzik and Vissini = Vizzini.

broodblik

A good prog, not as a good as previous weeks. Still, I am enjoying all the stories.

Dredd – A lot more talking in this episode. It feels more like a filler episode rather than taking the story forward. The episode ends with a cliff-hanger but this episode if feels more like nothing happened so let us end with a bang.

Full Tilt Boogie – Still enjoying this but this episode also feels very much like in-between type of episode. I got a little lost so going back to episode 4 rather than 5 everything flows much better and feels more coherent.

Diaboliks – Also an episode that feels more like in the middle of something with a lot of new characters introduced. At the end it this works, and we can have our showdown next prog. 

The Order – Great action-packed episode and enjoying the great art of mister Burns. A great read so far just keep your head together otherwise you will get lost in translation.

The Out – Now this is only in its fourth episode and I can say that this is my favourite thing in the current prog line-up. Abnett sublime scripting plus the extravagant art of Harrison is weaving a great tale. Feels like a Halo Jones for today with a pinch of Grey Area added.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

73north

Dredd - actually very good episode !
- I also wondered why Henry Flint's Dredd seemed to be so stick thin - but when you think about it , the Hunger Bug would have affected him - enjoying this very much so !

Full Tilt Boogie - just brilliant - and is one of the highlights of the Prog
- the Writer has written some original stuff here - and the art is great

The Diaboliks. I am enjoying the strip and its different to the normal fare .

The Order - Sadly fed up with this strip - The interest in this has faded for me -
and the art is fine ,but I just don't care for the story now -
Please Tharg - get rid of it and get me more Strontium Dog - ABC Warriors -
Scarlet Traces - Brass Sun - there is loads of other stories that seem to be in limbo -
anything but this dross

The Out - a slow burner but as others have observed - a great new series.
and its got a Female Lead Character !

Note to Tharg - can we get Jaegir back in the Prog and a new series commissioned ASAP please .

We need Gordon Rennie

Rob1971

Quite right, Tordel. Realism is absolutely key in Dredd's world!

Right, back to reading about ricochet bullets and heatseekers and Judge Death who's dead and Judge Fire whose head is on fire and...

TordelBack

Quote from: Rob1971 on 16 July, 2020, 09:19:44 AM
Quite right, Tordel. Realism is absolutely key in Dredd's world!

Right, back to reading about ricochet bullets and heatseekers and Judge Death who's dead and Judge Fire whose head is on fire and...

Touché!  I did say it was unjustifiably pedantic!

norton canes

I think it's fair to say that End Of Days has a few rough edges. I mean, quite apart from the remote possibility of releasing disease layers from beneath ancient perma-frost, it doesn't seem like a good idea anyway to be blowing up vessels one suspects of harbouring deadly airborne infections.

Still on board with the epic as a whole, though, the odd dodgy moment or uneven pacing notwithstanding. Often the acid test of a strip's worth is how often one re-reads it and I've been through this instalment half a dozen times. The overall concept of mankind inflicting destruction on itself is hardly new but it's being handled well here. Also, if Dredd and his crew are going to be permanently debilitated by each Horseman they encounter, as they have been by Famine, it'll be interesting to see what condition they're in by the time they rock up to Death.

(Oh, and any long-term fans of Rhys Thomas's spoof radio phone-in Down The Line will know why I can't help grinning every time I think of the 'Four Horsemen')

Elsewhere I guess we're into the mid-phase of several other strips' runs so it's basically a case of 'as you were' for Diaboliks (excellent, though Fuso's work isn't quite the calibre of Reardon's - has he perhaps been instructed to copy his style?), The Order (great) and Full Tilt Boogie (good, but always seemingly an episode away from really kicking in). But The Out takes the thrill trophy this week, having over a mere four episodes already developed into one of Dan Abnett's great works. Absolutely adore the series of snapshots of other races (despite the Body Snatchers lift) - it's so good when a strip has the confidence to pause the action like that for a moment.

I do miss episode two's logo though.

IndigoPrime

"permanently debilitated"

I suspect all the references to 'rapi-heal' mean the 'permanently' aspect is unlikely. 

norton canes

Well, I mean for the duration of the story, at least :)

DrJomster

Actually, I'm sympathising quite a lot with Dredd's "I've had enough of all this, let's nuke it from orbit" approach this episode. Almost a perfect plan. Almost...
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Robert Frazer

Mega-City One was devastated by the Chaos Bug because the Judges ignored Dredd's advice to sweep over the Fourth Faction's Sov base with a ground attack and instead tried to bomb it from the air. Now Dredd himself repeats the mistake and threatens the planet with a magical pestilence because he passed on an on-foot attack and tried to bomb it from the air. There's some irony for you!
Latest Video - The ESSENTIAL Judge Dredd

broodblik

Just saw this on the awesome mister Flint's facebook page and alternative opening page for his first take on End of Days:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

While that's a great page I can see why he made the switch.