Main Menu

Prog 2201 - Fiendish Origins

Started by NapalmKev, 27 September, 2020, 10:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

That's brilliant JayzusB.Christ, but clearly mistaken. What will of course happen in is [spoiler]Dredd, out of work as the Justice Department disbands, will get a job as the head of a run down school. Its classic stuff. At first those rascally kids will run rings around 'ol' Stoney' to hilarious comic effect. Eventually however they will slowly come to understand each other and a respect will grow. Just in time to as then the dead superfiends will come to destroy the city and all that stands in their path is a bunch as tear away kids, their stoic headmaster and a shared appreciation of the classics.[/spoiler]

Link Prime

Some fine predictions there JBC and Colin. My own pet theory: [spoiler]Maitland will meet her (long overdue) demise after securing accommodation and 3rd level education placement for one of the 'problem kids'.
A sneering "Drokk you, you bean counting do-gooder" from young Sonny Beneffets as she's dispatched by Las-knife.
Dredd will have the final word. Something along the lines of:
"Freedom - power to the people - democracy...the Great American Dream. Don't kid yourself. We tried it before. It doesn't work. You can't trust the people."
Fin.[/spoiler]

JayzusB.Christ

That is a fine theory, Link.  But Colin's is far more likely.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

AlexF

Have we talked yet about how there's a new letterer on Stickleback and it's really good? I know the received wisdom is that readers are not supposed to notice the letters but I did notice because it looked different and had a gothic vibe and there was a bit where he used a 'handwritten letter' style in part 1 that I could actually read without straining and I went to check the credits box and indeed it's that man. Nice.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: AlexF on 01 October, 2020, 09:46:30 AM
there was a bit where he used a 'handwritten letter' style in part 1 that I could actually read without straining

Thanks, Alex! TBH, I felt a bit bad about the letter captions, since Ian's script described Holmes' "exquisite penmanship"... but I've spent literally hundreds of pounds on dozens of old-stylee handwritten/journal type fonts over the years and the unavoidable truth is that the ones that look like handwriting aren't very legible (especially for blocks of text) and the ones that are legible don't look much like handwriting. My primary instinct is always to plump for legibility over authenticity, so I ran several samples past The Mighty One and he was very much in agreement — so much so that I only got the one Rigellian Hotshot for bothering him in the middle of plastic cup break.  :D
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

Jim just a general question relating to lettering: Do the letterer or the writer decide what to make bold in the script ?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: broodblik on 02 October, 2020, 11:15:55 AM
Jim just a general question relating to lettering: Do the letterer or the writer decide what to make bold in the script ?

It's almost always in the script. Sometimes an artist will have drawn a character angrier/shoutier than the script initially described so a piece of dialogue might need punching up a bit, but ordinarily it's all in the script.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 October, 2020, 11:19:40 AM
Quote from: broodblik on 02 October, 2020, 11:15:55 AM

It's almost always in the script. Sometimes an artist will have drawn a character angrier/shoutier than the script initially described so a piece of dialogue might need punching up a bit, but ordinarily it's all in the script.

That's what I thought - presumably it's in capitals or italics in the script?  I've always thought the use of bold could be reined in a fair bit in comic dialogue; Nikolai Dante improved vastly for me when Robbie Morrison reduced his use of dialogue in bold (which were all too often not the words that should be emphasised, which I find incredibly jarring). 

I realise Alan Moore did it all the time in Watchmen, and, well, I don't quite feel qualified to criticise him as a writer, but you don't see it much in standard text novels, where decent dialogue seems to chug along just fine.  Also, John Wagner keeps it to a minimum as well.  Hughie even lampshades the practice in The Boys, and say what you like about Garth Ennis but his characters' dialogue is great (at least when he's not writing Dredd).

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Bolt-01

Those are some lovely balloons...

broodblik

Thanks for sharing. I would say the naturalistic works for me or something like that
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 October, 2020, 01:26:09 PM

As a lifelong comics fan, I find that stuff fascinating.  I didn't realise the traditional way was a thing till recently - I'm way more a fan of the modern way, of course, but use as sparingly as possible.

I think Pat Mills often covers both categories, which can be a bit odd when a series is collected as a GN - I remember me and my brother, in our early teens, having a laugh at Sláine saying 'We gave King Gann[spoiler] a good send-off, eh, dwarf?', thinking it was a hugely unsubtle part of the pull-back-and-reveal - 'It was King Gann we were sacrificing all the time! Not me!'[/spoiler] We didn't cop at the time that it was just because it was the first time he'd been mentioned that episode.

JayzusB.Christ

*used, not use.

I really don't want that to sound like an imperative to script droids, from a man who couldn't write a half-decent comic to save his life. 

JayzusB.Christ

please excuse the triple post, but is there any chance a mod could spoiler the King Gann bit of my last-but-one post?  I tried but for some reason the modify option seems to have disappeared.

Arkady

A rare MC1 map, and beautifully done! i'd quite like to know what the light/dark bits represent in the non-nuked bit. It would make sense if they were surviving areas of dense population/Justice Department control.