Main Menu

Prog 2206: Regened - Five Roarsome Thrills

Started by JimmyNailz, 03 November, 2020, 09:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moldovangerbil

No sign of my copy of this yet  :(

Anyone know the best email address (or other way of getting in touch) to use for missing subs copies these days?

Ta

DrJomster

A nice different mix on Regened for me as the experiment continues to bear fruit in my view. Basically this was all pretty strong, especially the future shock. It's the ongoing balance and frequency that's going to be interesting now. I'm definitely eyeing up the collected volumes for the kids next year, which has got to be a good sign!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Tomontherun94

Quote from: moldovangerbil on 06 November, 2020, 01:16:37 PM

Anyone know the best email address (or other way of getting in touch) to use for missing subs copies these days?

Ta

Yeah my copy hasn't shown up either. Best bet is to check out the help section on the 2000AD shop site, scroll to the bottom and fill out the form on the contact us page.

Andy B

Quote from: broodblik on 06 November, 2020, 11:32:28 AM
In the nerve centre the last statement was "I'll be back in 2021". In what form still needs to be revealed. I still believe that most of us that post here would rather have a regen publication than having the regular prog interrupted.

Right. Or at least move away from the rigid every-13-weeks model. Surely it makes more sense to do them the week before a jumping-on Prog? You don't interrupt ongoing stories, and any new readers they attract have an easier ride if they go on to buy the next one.

TordelBack

The counter-argument is the risk that it becomes a jumping-off point instead - all the stories you're following have (theoretically) wrapped up, there's a week of stuff you don't want at all,  maybe take a break...

Personally I'd be happy with the same arrangement as this year, I think it's been a refreshing and worthwhile project, and sometimes genuinely great. I'd happily list Pandora Perfect, Finder & Keeper, Department K and (tangentially) Full Tilt Boogie as some of my favourite thrills of the year. If it gives the House of Tharg access to the pockets of a less near-death readership, that's a double win.

But obviously others don't feel the same, so it's a financial call for Rebellion how to proceed.

broodblik

I will rather have 46 regular progs a year than none. So, if this is the way forward then this is how it is. I also enjoyed the new thrills Department K and Pandora Perfect.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Its a well worn debate but I'll weather bumps (though I actually love these as a concept) in knowing it allows Rebellion to experiment and push it boundaries of what they offer. I'd like to think there was a plan and this had an end game in mind - but maybe not, who knows.

I will say again they do need to blend that into the ongoing stories though. Finding natural breaks or points when it doesn't overtly affect flow of ongoing stories. So before jumping Progs is ideal when possible, from my perspective. However I imagine that won't always be possible and maybe they just wanted to space them out evenly who knows. When it does bump a regular ongoing story it does invite criticism.

Maybe dropping them in actually minimises risk of drop off as TordelBack, as ever, wisely says.

IndigoPrime

Last we knew, these issues were selling more than standard ones. That has to be balanced against the 'toys from pram' brigade, angry at Rebellion's audacity in wanting to survive for the long term by bringing in new and younger readers.

I'm not thrilled about the schedule, but it doesn't annoy me to a great extent. And I'd happily see a six-part run of Dept. K and Pandora Perfect in the Prog—although that then kind of defeats the object of Regened if stories are just going to transfer to the regular issues. (On that basis, Matt, please commission more of those strips!)

Tjm86

Selling well?  Great news.  I guess if it does increase the life of the prog then that is to be welcomed.  At the end of the day I would have bought it either way.  Maybe that does mean a small loss since as a subscriber that's an extra copy that hasn't sold over and above the regular prog.  Then again, does that matter that much?

At the end of the day the prog is always changing and evolving.  What we're seeing in the Regened is an exploration of how different generations view the prog.  A lot of us grew up with it and to an extent it feels like it has grown up with us.  There is a different sensibility though to other generations.  I think we sometimes tend to forget that it has an "all ages" tag to it.  That is a hell of challenge squaring that circle.

Rebellion is certainly to be applauded for the experiment and to date it does seem to be going well.  How long it will be though before it escapes the lab?

blixab

Ta
I'm also prog 2206 less. There appear to have been quite a few people that haven't been sent theirs so they can't all have been lost in the post (as appears to be the standard answer!) I've been in touch with Rebellion about this missing prog amongst other items not despatched and one should now be on its way. So if anybody else is still waiting for theirs to arrive I'd suggest you contact them and get them to resolve.

Jacqusie

Quote from: Andy B on 07 November, 2020, 05:41:57 AM
Quote from: broodblik on 06 November, 2020, 11:32:28 AM
Right. Or at least move away from the rigid every-13-weeks model. Surely it makes more sense to do them the week before a jumping-on Prog? You don't interrupt ongoing stories, and any new readers they attract have an easier ride if they go on to buy the next one.

That's been a recurring and rather obvious point that so far has fallen on deaf ears. The interruptions don't bother some*, so ok, but as a model it does seem rather nonsensical when there are clear and sensible opportunities for the regened progs to release a week before the jumping on progs.

*I'm not one, it's not really annoying, rather just frustraiting when I know it can be managed a different way really...

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I must admit that I blow hot and cold on the Regened progs- on the one hand I like the idea and the impetus to create something that maximises the brand for the younger reader is something I can firmly support. However, the continued reliance on manga-esque art and shallow storytelling makes me weep.
This one was particularly guilty of this, and I could really have done without Paul Cornell's Abelard Snazz. An ersatz  Halo Jones Book 4 just got one step nearer, to my mind.

I think Pat's Spacewarp did it a lot better- and I'd feel happier with my offspring reading that than a Regened. As it happens, my eldest offspring is a regular reader anyway- and at 17, has been for five or six years. He's not overly impressed with the Regened issues either.

All that said, its Rebellion's call. If it increases sales, then fair play. I dont really care whether the Regened appear as they have been, or more sporadically- perhaps as suggested in the issue before a jump-on prog. Makes no odds to me, as I'm going to buy it anyway. I just wish that when one did appear, it was more like the 2000AD I know and grew up with, rather than a slightly cringeworthy "what we think the kids want" by committee.

SBT

moldovangerbil

Quote from: blixab on 07 November, 2020, 12:22:13 PM

Ta
I'm also prog 2206 less. There appear to have been quite a few people that haven't been sent theirs so they can't all have been lost in the post (as appears to be the standard answer!) I've been in touch with Rebellion about this missing prog amongst other items not despatched and one should now be on its way. So if anybody else is still waiting for theirs to arrive I'd suggest you contact them and get them to resolve.

Who did you get in touch with? I've emailed and sent a facebook message but not even had an acknowledgement. Thanks.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 07 November, 2020, 01:25:06 PMI just wish that when one did appear, it was more like the 2000AD I know and grew up with, rather than a slightly cringeworthy "what we think the kids want" by committee.
Do bear in mind that's like a parent in 2000 AD's early days saying "I wish this comic was like what I grew up with in the 1940s. Things change. Tastes change. Sure, there's less grit in modern comics for kids, but, judging by The Phoenix, the storytelling is often a lot richer, varied and more diverse.

TordelBack

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 07 November, 2020, 01:25:06 PM
An ersatz  Halo Jones Book 4 just got one step nearer, to my mind.

Putting down a marker here and now: I would not buy a comic that contains such a thing. Indigo Prime nearly did for me, and that was by one of my favourite current writers. Some lines should never be crossed.