Main Menu

Anyone interested in traveling on a Hell Trek from Ireland to Hi-Ex next year?

Started by Gavin_Leahy_Block, 24 May, 2010, 11:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavin_Leahy_Block

maryanddavid

Flight from Knock to Glasgow sounds easier and cheaper! What are you proposing Gavin?

David

JOE SOAP

COMMANDO FORCES

Splitters  :lol:

Anyone in Ireland fancy sorting it out, let me tell you, it's well worth it.
Firstly as Gavin said, get the number sorted out, I found the 9 seater Radwagon very economical, spacious and a smooth drive. So aim to fill this first.
Next, get confirmations, phone numbers and addresses and get in contact with everyone.
Now organise the route plus pick ups.
Now let people sort out accom and pair up to ease the cost.
That's about it for now. I would write more details but I'm parked up at work using my phone.
If someone wants to organise the First Irish Hell-Trek I am available for a chat, just pm me  ;)

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Gavin_Leahy_Block

CF said it all.

Quote from: Garageman on 25 May, 2010, 12:44:57 AM
I wouldn't mind toddling along. We should go by Hovercraft.

I was thinking a minibus, but if you have access to a Hovercraft all's the better.

HOO-HAA

I'm in for sure.  :)

Surely the ferry Larne-Stranraer would be as cheap/ cheaper than flights/ bus/ rail?

It would be a lot more fun, that's for sure.

Mind you, begsy not driving!  :lol:

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 25 May, 2010, 07:34:45 AM
Surely the ferry Larne-Stranraer would be as cheap/ cheaper than flights/ bus/ rail?

That's what I would have taught too. If we had to start around Dublin, some of us further south or west could meet up there and from there we start moving north. But this is me getting ahead of myself; let's see if we can get numbers first. 

Richmond Clements

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 25 May, 2010, 07:34:45 AM
I'm in for sure.  :)

Mind you, begsy not driving!  :lol:

I do that drive regulary, and it's about 5 hours from the port to Inverness.

COMMANDO FORCES

Gavin's right, get the numbers first then decide on the place to start from. Obviously the Radwagon will need to be booked there. Don't forget you can have more than one driver  ;)

Once the names come in decide on a date for your cut off for joining and then you'll be ready for all the calculations, route, pick ups, costs (hire, fuel & ferry) and anything else you may want to do (T-shirts or the likes).
Also before this cut off you can insist on a downpayment (non refundable, if you like) so as to stop worrying, this will be for the person booking the Radwagon and sorting the whole thing out.
Also people can start to organise twin rooms for the weekend (costs again) or singles if they like.
Decide on your departure date (I'm going for the Thursday night again) as I'm sure everyone will want to hit the Ramada bar on Friday night. As with this you should also decide on your departure date/time (we might be departing on the Monday, discussions will be taking place with plenty of time to spare) so as not to put yourself on a tight schedule.

I keep saying that this will be a bloody good laugh and I can honestly say it is. Also with this way of travel you can cram the back with quite a lot of stuff and all your bought artwork/sketches will be well protected.

The cost for 7 Hell-Trekkers this year was £78 round trip (I think), it would drop down to about £60ish with 9. It all depends on fuel costs for next year but I can't see it being much more. Add to this the cost of your room and you can see it works out rather well. I have no idea of the ferry prices but then again we didn't need to use one. Obviously your fuel costs will be less than what we used so the ferry may level that out.
On the fuel cost, you'll only know the total when you get up to Inverness and that's when everyone can pay the rest of the money.

That's it for now, so

COME ON YOU IRISH BOARDERS

p.s. remember this is nearly a door to door service, now that can't be bad  ;)

HOO-HAA

Cheers, CF. Definitely sounds like the way forward to me!

Clearly, it'll have to start from the south, then work up north to leave on the Larne ferry.

And, yeah... I'll do my share of driving (if you're all brave enough)

:D

Dog Deever

Well- I was looking into travel to Ireland for the band a wee while back. Being a stones throw fae Inverness and Aberdeen meant that flying was an option we looked at. We costed the six hour drive to Stranraer and the ferry over, then did the same with the planes. It was a good bit cheaper to fly Ryan Air (despite having to pay for two extra seats for guitar& bass) and it meant I didn't have to do a six hour drive!
Obviously, there were only four of us, so a divvy of the petrol & ferry would have been a lot bigger than if there are a decent number of trekkers. But it's still maybe worth a look just in case.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Van Dom

Definately count me in on this, no holidays planned for this year (or the foreseeable future) so Ill need the break come next year!!!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Van Dom

Sorry for the double post but what dates will this run across so I can book the time off tomorrow. And let the wife now looooooooooooooooooooooooong in advance so there will be no complaining come the time!!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Van Dom on 25 May, 2010, 08:09:39 PM
Sorry for the double post but what dates will this run across so I can book the time off tomorrow. And let the wife now looooooooooooooooooooooooong in advance so there will be no complaining come the time!!

I'm not sure if the dates have been announced yet, dude.

Dog, you may be right about the prices (especially with Ryan Air). I guess I'd be happy to pay a little extra for (wait for it) 'The Craic of the Trek'! :)