Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Really and Truly vs Storm Warning - Round 1 Heat 27

Started by Colin YNWA, 16 November, 2021, 06:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Just as you all start to get a little sick of voting on some sub-par thrills I'd dare to say week 4 of this Tourney actually has the strongest line-up so far. There's some real corkers to wrap your head around and some tough decisions to make.

Really and Truly part of the Summer Offensive may or may not split opinions - I mean it has stunning art by Ryan Hughes. Mind Storm Warning aren't doing too bad on the art front either returning to the Meg in January now seems the perfect chance to reflect on its powers

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Really & Truly - more info

Vs.

Storm Warning - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday 19th November and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

BPP

Really and Trully for the art. Storm warning just never landed for me.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

abelardsnazz

Haven't really got into Storm Warning so going to go with Really & Truly for Rian Hughes' art.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 16 November, 2021, 08:01:37 AM
Haven't really got into Storm Warning so going to go with Really & Truly for Rian Hughes' art.

Same for me, though I thought the story was ok too.  Written on E in one night* but lots of fun characters and weird world-building.

*Or so Grant says - I've learned that huge pinches of salt are to be taken with any Morrison interview of this era.

Really and Truly please.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

AlexF

Really & Truly coasts in the memory on bags of charm, but every time I actually READ it it's mind-bendingly up its own smug, self-congratulatory arse. Yes, Grant, we get it, drugs are cool and so is sneering at people.

Storm Warning all the way - some of the best psi-plots going, and my gosh the Tom Foster art! Well worth picking up a collection if you missed it in the original Megs, I'm telling you.

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Blue Cactus

Did Jimmy Broxton do some Storm Warning too? I remember him being a good fit for the series, unless I imagined it. Love a bit of Rian Hughes but voting for:

Storm Warning

DrJomster

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Link Prime

Really and Truly was offbeat fun, and a showcase for the criminally underused the Ryan Hughes.
Not as headline grabbing as some of the other strips that ran during the Summer Offensive, but a nice counterbalance at the time.

Despite some nice art, I found that Mild Drizzle Concern did not affect my Thrill Barometer in the slightest.

Timothy

Dark Jimbo

I'm desperate to like Storm Warning more than I actually do - the idea of a Dreddworld Brit-Cit horror whose influences are the likes MR James and Nigel Kneale is just heaven, in a way that the actual stories have never quite managed to realise - but points for trying. Foster's art is always superb, though, and it's still an easy win here over R&T.
@jamesfeistdraws

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++