Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

I like any old tosh but even I thought 'Lady in the Water' was a load of self undulgent rubbish.

Charlie boy

Not looking forward to his Unbreakable sequels then?
I still don't know if I should chance LADY IN... I don't want another experience like when I watched DUDE, WHERE'S MY CAR? and got to the last half hour before suddenly thinking "Why am I watching this?" and switching over.

Link Prime

Quote from: Buttonman on 04 June, 2013, 10:41:34 PM
I like any old tosh but even I thought 'Lady in the Water' was a load of self undulgent rubbish.

Wot he said.
Give it a miss Charlie...

Charlie boy

I'll avoid it on your say but if I have nothing but people telling me how they remembered it as being bad but it's actually really good or it's just a misunderstood classic over the following days then it's your forum picture I'll be shaking my fist at, pal. I may even hiss your name as I do it.

sheldipez

Quote from: Charlie boy on 04 June, 2013, 10:56:02 PM
I'll avoid it on your say but if I have nothing but people telling me how they remembered it as being bad but it's actually really good or it's just a misunderstood classic over the following days then it's your forum picture I'll be shaking my fist at, pal. I may even hiss your name as I do it.

I'm a big M Night Shyamalan apologist and Lady in the Water is the one movie I'd recommend you forget exists. It's really bad on so many levels, it's a half baked plot that appears to have been filmed from a first draft script. Shyamalan casts himself in a real ego feeding role and writes in a critic who gets killed (real subtle). It's not worth watching even for a "so bad it's good" way (that's The Happening).

Hawkmumbler

I hear After Earth might just be M. Night Shyamalan's worst film, and that IS saying a lot.

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 05 June, 2013, 08:24:18 AM
I hear After Earth might just be M. Night Shyamalan's worst film, and that IS saying a lot.

Trailer looks execrable. Will be avoiding like it was a Karate Kid reboot staring Smith's fame-hungry offspring.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Dandontdare on 14 May, 2013, 12:14:03 PM
I watched Chronicles of Riddick last night - I'd never seen this cos I thought the first film was pants, but I really enjoyed this. Vim Petrol may not have huge range a an actor, but this sort of thing suits him; the effects were great and there was lots of good sci-fi gubbins in there - particularly liked Judi Dench's elemental.

Hanging out on forums always reminds me that sci-fi fandom is very varied in its reactions. I thought Pitch Black was a great little movie, simple in its scope but very effective and a great contribution to the oft-attempted but sparingly-successful space-horror genre.

Chronicles of Riddick, I found to be a ridiculous grab bag of mythological gubbins, introducing an extremely flimsy wider world of fantasy-type nonsense and a backstory of needlessly epic proportions. Nice visuals but far, far too much going on to actually offer anything worthwhile. Furians, Prophetic Denches, evil empires - yawn.

I thought it was a really weird sequel and completely missed the tone of the first. Give me a space criminal on a failed colony any day.

Recrewt

I'm one of the minority - I actually enjoyed both of the Riddick films.  The first was basically a monster movie, but was well done.  The second tried to increase the scope and whilst not perfect, I enjoyed it (especially at the end where Riddick is fighting with the top necromonger).  Oh, and Dredd's in it.  ;)

Lovers of pitch black should be happy though, because the new Riddick movie is supposed to be more like that.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Buttonman on 04 June, 2013, 09:46:43 PM
Logan's Run has Jenny Agutter in the nip - any other plus points are redundant.

I missed out on that part:(

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Recrewt on 05 June, 2013, 01:39:07 PM
I'm one of the minority - I actually enjoyed both of the Riddick films.  The first was basically a monster movie, but was well done.  The second tried to increase the scope and whilst not perfect, I enjoyed it (especially at the end where Riddick is fighting with the top necromonger).  Oh, and Dredd's in it.  ;)

Lovers of pitch black should be happy though, because the new Riddick movie is supposed to be more like that.

That does look good. Especially the bit where it seems they have clones of the bounty hunters on board to 'resleeve' (to nick a Broken carbon phrase) their casualties

JamesC

The Rock - fucking brilliant. One of the very few perfect action films (along with Commando and Die Hard).

Westworld's on next - another favourite!

Daveycandlish

Quote from: JamesC on 09 June, 2013, 12:38:42 AM
The Rock - fucking brilliant. One of the very few perfect action films

It is very good but it has Nicholas Cage in it and therefore cannot be perfect.

My viewing last night? Superman! Still brilliant 35 years on. This Man of Steel lark has a lot to live up to
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Radbacker

QuoteIt is very good but it has Nicholas Cage in it and therefore cannot be perfect.

I believe you have that the wrong way around it should be It has Nicholas Cage in it there fore its brilliant, speaking of which in my quest to see every Cage movie made I finally got around to watching the Wicker Man remake, never really watched the original but aside from being boring (except for a couple of waky Cage scenes) I wouldn't really rank it as one of the worse movies ever made, its certainly not so bad its good, its just boring.

CU Radbacker

Hawkmumbler

Watch the original, its an outstanding piece of film making.