Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabs

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 05 December, 2013, 06:39:24 PM
Yep, and her pubes too.....

Damn.

I thought her, erm, 'performance' was one of the best things about Alexander!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

GrinningChimera

They Live

Great film. The fist fight between Roddy Piper and Keith David seemed a little stretched out but the story line was great. And the acting wasn't bad. Plus you got to see [spoiler]a pair of tits[/spoiler] at the end. Can't go wrong there.

CrazyFoxMachine

Ooh thought I'd accidentally wandered into the "Man Stuff" thread for a second.

[spoiler]But that's pretty much every thread...[/spoiler]

Richmond Clements

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 08 December, 2013, 01:06:27 AM
They Live

Great film. The fist fight between Roddy Piper and Keith David seemed a little stretched out but the story line was great. And the acting wasn't bad. Plus you got to see [spoiler]a pair of tits[/spoiler] at the end. Can't go wrong there.
Oh for fuck sake... Grow up.

JamesC

To be fair to GC that's probably why the booby shot was put in the film. It wasn't to advance the plot was it?
It's the same with all these old 80s action films - Commando, Die Hard, Red Heat, the Conan films, Mad Max 2 and loads more all have gratuitous boob shots. They are what they, it was part of film making culture at the time and if you're going to watch these old movies you may as well go with it.

pictsy

Sherlock Holmes

I was surprised when watching this how good it was.  I was expecting a pile of rotting rubbish.  RDJ and Jude Law both put in excellent performances and the action didn't feel too misplaced.  There are directorial choices in the film I don't appreciate, but they are few and not too obtrusive.  Overall, it is really good entertainment.

Sherlock Holmes:  A Game of Shadows

It's like the first one but bigger.  All the points above repeated, but this time I'm just not as impressed or entertained.  I think the scope and ambition of the sequel make it slightly less entertaining for me than the first.  It's still a good watch nonetheless.

Laputa:  Castle in the Sky

Hayao Miyazaki's first Studio Ghibli film.  I was watching this for two reasons.  One:  I love anime, Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli films.  Two:  I'm looking for a good DVD to give one of my nephews for Crimbo.  One would expect quality and this film delivers quality.  It's not my favourite Ghibli film, but it is a good adventure.  There is plenty to like about the film and it even made me laugh a few times (the comic sky pirates being the main source of the humour).

TordelBack

Quote from: JamesC on 08 December, 2013, 10:48:12 AMCommando ... Red Heat, the Conan films, ... and loads more all have gratuitous boob shots.

Many of those are of course Arnie's own mighty moobs.

The random, almost subliminal, inclusion of usually-inflated bared breasts in action movies does seem incredibly odd, but they're probably there at least in part to reassure the supposed young male audience that they aren't even a little bit gay for wanting to watch oiled body builders grunting as they grapple with each other in various states of deshabille. 

JamesC

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 December, 2013, 11:02:00 AM
Quote from: JamesC on 08 December, 2013, 10:48:12 AMCommando ... Red Heat, the Conan films, ... and loads more all have gratuitous boob shots.

Many of those are of course Arnie's own mighty moobs.

The random, almost subliminal, inclusion of usually-inflated bared breasts in action movies does seem incredibly odd, but they're probably there at least in part to reassure the supposed young male audience that they aren't even a little bit gay for wanting watch oiled body builders grunting as they grapple with each other in various states of deshabille.

:lol:

Richmond Clements

There's no 'to be fair' about it. He made a crass, idiotic sexist comment that is exactly the kind of thing that keeps women comic fans from posting on message boards.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 08 December, 2013, 10:26:37 AM
They Live

Oh for fuck sake... Grow up.
So are you saying it's wrong to appreciate the beauty of a fine pair of breasts? The human body can be appreciated without it being objectification.

Good call on They Live GC! A class film, I really need to break into my Shout Factory Bd soon.

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 08 December, 2013, 11:47:11 AMThe human body can be appreciated without it being objectification.

True, but I think that boat probably sailed with "you got to see a pair of tits". I doubt GC meant anything other than to make a wry comment on that particular tick of 80's movies, but like Page 3 it is exactly the kind of comment (which I am frequently guilty of myself) that contributes to a pervasive and accepted atmosphere of sexist shite.

And I refer to the world in general, not this forum in particular, which is better than most, especially now that filthy Richard Clemmens' thread has been deleted.

Breasts are great, we all love them, but there's a time and a place and a context to express it. Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpGgnbLIza8

smilersaltash

They Live

Personally, I think the mark of a good film is a lack of gratuitous nudity or sex scenes. A film should engage and hold the attention of an audience without pandering to the adolescent fantasies. Well said Mr Moderator.

JamesC

Quote from: smilersaltash on 08 December, 2013, 12:19:48 PM
They Live

Personally, I think the mark of a good film is a lack of gratuitous nudity or sex scenes. A film should engage and hold the attention of an audience without pandering to the adolescent fantasies. Well said Mr Moderator.

There are a ton of great films that feature gratuitous nudity.
They're not good because of the nudity, but to say the mark of a good film is the lack of it seems to do a disservice to a lot of gems (especially from the 70s and 80s).

Hawkmumbler

They Live

Hooray for ultra conservatism!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 08 December, 2013, 01:04:06 PM
Personally, I think the mark of a good film is a lack of gratuitous nudity or sex scenes. A film should engage and hold the attention of an audience without pandering to the adolescent fantasies.
Hooray for ultra conservatism!

The key word is gratuitous, Hawkmonger. Nobody likes a good sex scene more than me (how else would I know what a pair of boobs looked like, after all?), but I'd rather it wasn't simply there for its own sake.
@jamesfeistdraws