Main Menu

Prog 2114 - Tracer Fire!

Started by Colin YNWA, 13 January, 2019, 08:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

Quote from: Magnetica on 15 January, 2019, 03:50:32 PMIndeed I am now questioning the whole 3riller concept. A straight up one shot Future Shock seems a better format to me as it forces all the superfluous stuff to be trimmed and ironically many over the years seem to have more fully fleshed out characters than we get in 3rillers. I guess because it is necessary to focus on the core theme and have the characters' actions and dialogue support that

I like the 3riller concept but I think they work much better when they're open-ended pitches for a full series then they are extended Future Shocks. The Mechastopheles 3riller clearly had stacks of back-story which was consequently explored in the series, and Infestinauts looked like it was introducing characters that would be explored further in a series.

broodblik

The 3rillers has always been something that was either a hit or a miss. I do not mind the 3rillers but "The Scored Zone" felt nothing thrilling about it, it just felt ok. It was like an advertisement in your favorite show which you mostly forget the second it stop airing.

There for me is always scope for both the 3rillers and the Future Shocks.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

DrJomster

Quote from: norton canes on 17 January, 2019, 09:59:39 AM
I like the 3riller concept but I think they work much better when they're open-ended pitches for a full series then they are extended Future Shocks.

Yep, I'd agree with this.

Ps. Loving Brink and Fiends this week. I'm actually also quite liking Skip Tracer.

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Bolt-01

I'm probably needing a service or something as I'm not enjoying the current Fiends strip at all. I really liked the previous run, with the alternative take on Costanta but I don't buy him as a protagonist at all.

I should be loving it- Ian Edginton is a solid, dependable scribe and Tiernan Trevallion is a heck of an artist but  for some reason this particular story is leaving me utterly cold.

Magnetica

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 18 January, 2019, 01:36:12 PM
I'm probably needing a service or something as I'm not enjoying the current Fiends strip at all. I really liked the previous run, with the alternative take on Costanta but I don't buy him as a protagonist at all.

I should be loving it- Ian Edginton is a solid, dependable scribe and Tiernan Trevallion is a heck of an artist but  for some reason this particular story is leaving me utterly cold.

I agree on fiends. Now TT is awesome on Absalom, but for me his art isn't that suited to this.

CalHab

I quite enjoy TT on Fiends. He has a Mignola-like use of shadows that suits the Hammer aesthetic. Dave Taylor on 1812 was utterly outstanding, and that was some of the best art to have graced the prog in years, but this series manages to hold its own.

Dandontdare

Loving the art but the story has lost me somewhat - the original fiends was such a novel concept it worked, but we now seem to be getting more generic "vampires fight wars" stories and I really don't care which species of bat I'm supposed to be rooting for.

broodblik

The first part of the story in the xmas special of Fiends was just awesome but the story feels almost like it just became a slug-fest between tow heavy weight boxers. It is now just like any vampire story. I still like it but the 1812 one was much better.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.