Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Death Run, a zero-budget English post-apocalyptic actioner made by some mates in a field, who occasionally break character when they sober up long enough to realise they're actually doing that thing they discussed doing in the pub last night.  It's one of those movies that gets so bad it becomes hilarious to watch, especially the bit where the bloke realises cannibals have been feeding him his girlfriend and throws up continuously for five minutes while fighting them, or the training montage near the end which is just two blokes doing push-ups and rolling around on the grass - and the music is unreal.
Some helpful chap has put the whole thing on Youtube where absolutely no-one is telling them to take it down, almost like whoever actually owns it doesn't want to come forward: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrWMf4NMO7o which is a shame because I want a hard copy as brass balls like these deserve to be rewarded.

pictsy

I have just finished watching This is the End.  A rather self-indulgent film on the part of those involved with the film making.  Many celebrities playing themselves (or rather, parodies of themselves) during a biblical apocalypse.  A couple of moments made me chuckle, many moments were somewhat tiresome and predictable. The ending sucks.  The effects were pretty good.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: von Boom on 05 November, 2014, 02:13:40 PM

And no matter what anyone tells you, there were no sequels.

While I was about say there were sequels and even a live television and cartoon series.

I understand, I would be one of those people and know what your mean ;)

TordelBack

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 06 November, 2014, 06:25:24 AM
While I was about say there were sequels and even a live television and cartoon series.

Back to Zeist with you.

Theblazeuk

I liked the cartoon show...

HdE

And videogames. Don't forget the videogames.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

James Stacey

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 November, 2014, 06:35:11 AM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 06 November, 2014, 06:25:24 AM

Back to Zeist with you.
They retconned the fuck out of Zeist years ago. The 'Renegade edition' of 2 got rid of that cobblers in 95. The latest remaster (which was a fantastic job) is actually pretty good.

Prodigal2

Grudge match with Stallone and De Niro. I don't care if it was panned by the critics. I loved it.

von Boom

Just got back from Interstellar. I thoroughly enjoyed this film despite what critics are saying. This is not a fast paced action thriller, but a thoughtful look at what could possibly be. Visually stunning to be sure, but the story is a fascinating mix of science fact and fiction. There are some problems, but I can overlook them.

[spoiler]The one really irritating thing is that apparently, at the end of the world, only the US can save us.[/spoiler]

Mabs

Just back from the screening of Interstellar, and what can I say, I was absolutely blown away by it. And I do not say that lightly, or nor am I a so called 'Nolanite'. In fact, I thought The Dark Knight Rises was probably his weakest film, and Inception just passed me by. It's only when I sat down to watch it did I realise how good it was. For me, up until Interstellar, I thought The Prestige and The Dark Knight were his best films (Memento, as good as it is, was pretty damn confusing!).

There are not enough superlatives I can lavish on his latest film though; it's very close to perfection.

A year back when I got an idea of Interstellar's subject matter, and what it would involve, I was quite literally salivating at the prospect! my head immediately filled with all the possibilties of what we might witness on screen. Wormholes? Dimensions? Interstellar travel? I was already sold. But could Nolan pull it off?

Well let me say, after watching the film, yes, we do get all that, but the thing which totally grabbed me was the love story; the relationship between father and daughter. The third act of the film made me a blubbering wreck, not many films could do that! As a father of two kids (a boy and a girl), this probably affected me more. I could understand the sacrifice that McConaughey's character had to make. But you can never underestimate a father's love. There's a moment when his father-in-law says something on the lines of "Don't make any promises you cannot keep (to your girl)". Does he take heed from that? "I will come back" he tells her, so determined is he to not let her down. And it's this part of the father daughter relationship which traverses space, time, and even dimensions, and it absolutely floored me.

Nolan's spectacle is also breathtaking. The spaceship Endurance's travel through a eerily quiet space. The ship almost like a speck of gold dust against the back drop of Saturn and her rings. It certainly brings things into perspective. The vastness of space is awe inducing, and you get a sense of how insignificant we all are against this back drop. The planets are also realised beautifully, or actually, in one case, terrifyingly so! The visual and practical effects are so seamless and magnificent to look at. And a memorable (and even shocking) demonstration of how time works in space.

We also have the wonderful robot Tars, who at first resembles a walking fridge, but we soon see this guy's versatility in action! There's another unit too, but Tars is definitely one of the stars of the show.

There are some minor niggles along the way though. Certain scenes could do with a little trimming, and others could do with more emphasis and detail perhaps. This was one of those films which I felt would've been better if it was more longer!

And that third act, in particular [spoiler]the black hole scene[/spoiler], that was just breathtaking. Totally and utterly breathtaking. As a science nerd, and especially one who finds all these dimensional/ relativity stuff fascinating, I absolutely lapped it up! I'd also like to say that I knew [spoiler]who or what the 'spook' was[/spoiler], from the start! In fact, I was hoping it was the case and eventually was proved correct.

Interstellar is a film for all the dreamers out there. Those, who as little kids, looked up into the night skies through their telescopes, or even just gazing at the stars with the naked eyes, thinking about the vastness of space. Of the galaxies, stars, planets or even life in the cosmos. I was one such boy. And that is perhaps, why this film so enthralled me. It's no 2001, and to be honest, what is? It's not meant to be like Kubrick's film. But this film has mystery, thrills, wonder, and heart in abundance.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Hawkmumbler

Well after a shitty two days i'm gonna be taking it easy by doing a few house hold chores, then settling down to watch the Mad Max trilogy on BD (nabed in ASDA yesterday for £10!).

Spikes

Interstellar.

A good trailer (which is just about all Hollywood can manage these days), but a poor film, overall.

And a film that confirmed my suspicions, that the Nolan brothers are an average talent really.
The visual spectacle is what you'd expect from a big budget film, but still, genuine 'wow' moments are few and far between , and the emotional scenes are poorly executed

Not 2001 for a new generation. Simply a film by two people who have seen 2001. And Battlestar Galactica...

Meh.

El Chivo

i thought Inception was shit so probably pass on Interstellar

While he's at it maybe he could have a go at Innovative or even Interesting?

Cheers

Chi

shaolin_monkey

Interstella 5555 - with Leiji Matsumoto providing visual direction, Daft Punk turn their album 'Discovery' into an anime epic.  I've seen it before, but watched it this time with my eldest daughter.  Despite not a single word being uttered during the whole film, she was enthralled. 

If anyone loves anime with a real 'Battle of the Planets' feel, set to a great soundrtrack, with a simple but decent plot, then you can't go wrong with this.

JamesC

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 10 November, 2014, 08:00:57 AM
Interstella 5555 - with Leiji Matsumoto providing visual direction, Daft Punk turn their album 'Discovery' into an anime epic.  I've seen it before, but watched it this time with my eldest daughter.  Despite not a single word being uttered during the whole film, she was enthralled. 

If anyone loves anime with a real 'Battle of the Planets' feel, set to a great soundrtrack, with a simple but decent plot, then you can't go wrong with this.

I guess this is what they used for the videos for 'One More Time' and a couple of other tracks?
I loved the video but didn't realise it was an actual film.