Main Menu

Prog 2300: On the Day of Judgement...

Started by Leigh S, 20 September, 2022, 05:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

I wonder if Kenneth Niemand asked Gordon Rennie and Dan Abnett for Harry Absalom and Finny's dialogue?

Also, I notice Henry Flint snuck in a zombie Torquemada. I think that's the first time since the Pat spat that a Millsverse character has been depicted in the prog (not counting generic things like dinosaurs). I wonder if Flint got the memo..?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: norton canes on 22 September, 2022, 04:12:46 PM
Also, I notice Henry Flint snuck in a zombie Torquemada. I think that's the first time since the Pat spat that a Millsverse character has been depicted in the prog (not counting generic things like dinosaurs).

Zombie Slaine? Zombie Ukko? Zombie Ro-jaws?
@jamesfeistdraws

broodblik

There was a Zombie Slaine in the meg or rather you could figure it out that the zombie with an axe was indeed Slaine.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Given how some folks argue Sláine doddered on for years after his prime, it'd be quite funny if his last appearance in the Prog was as a zombie.

norton canes

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 22 September, 2022, 04:16:58 PM
Zombie Slaine? Zombie Ukko? Zombie Ro-jaws?

Bah, of course. Is that Dan Dare in front of Ro-Jaws? Think I can see a hint of curly eyebrow

Tjm86

It's interesting to see more experimentation with trying to thematically tie in all strips in the prog and the meg.  Given attempts in recent specials it is arguably a bit of a gamble.

Did it work?  Well, the inter-dimensional cluster-flob was arguably a better hook than the "planet Earth is out to get the human race" hook from a recent SF special.  The rather poorly-regarded Judgement Day epic does actually provide one of the better rationales here.

I would agree with the idea that the scenario did present significant challenges for some writers over others. One or two episodes across the two volumes barely merited more than a 'flick n follow.'  That said, nothing was so dire as to qualify for offensive (whereas some of the American offerings of recent years can leave you wanting to gouge out eyes and brain matter).

Overall though there was more positive than negative.  As an anniversary event it worked well for my money.

BPP

It was great. Silly, fun, great.

And almost as enjoyable is everyone here trying to figure out continuity in multiverses. Kinda missing the whole point of multiverses....

I heard there's even a multiverse where Evans the Fist is married to Lynn Truss. Shudder. Zombie Lynn Truss, natch.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

norton canes

I heard there's even a multiverse where the Prime Minster is called Lynn Truss

BPP

Quote from: norton canes on 22 September, 2022, 11:08:46 PM
I heard there's even a multiverse where the Prime Minster is called Lynn Truss

Even one where there's a Bojo Truss but at least Evans is buried where wagner left him.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

scrotnig

Zombies aren't really my thing but this was brilliantly done and great fun throughout.

Made a lovely change from the norm as well. Fantastic prog!

Proudhuff

Highly enjoyable hokum, well done all involved!!
DDT did a job on me

Magnetica

This review covers the Meg as well as the Prog.

I didn't find it particularly engaging - as a "what if?" I found there was no jeopardy. And I guessed the outcome well before the end. Some of the individual segments seem to end too quickly. It actually felt more like a Regened Prog to me.

The parts with Johnny Alpha just didn't have the same feeling as classic Strontium Dog.

So overall it was no more than ok.

Swerty

I enjoyed the prog and the artists chosen to do the old school strips really did them justice.Not really one for buying the prog these days but his lured me back and next weeks is looking good.

scrotnig

Quote from: Swerty on 25 September, 2022, 11:07:49 PM
I enjoyed the prog and the artists chosen to do the old school strips really did them justice.Not really one for buying the prog these days but his lured me back and next weeks is looking good.
Welcome back to the fold!

The Prog has been on fine form a while, well worth it in my view.

karlos

Hi all. Long time, no see. So, just been in my local Smiths and saw - for the first time ever - two progs sat side by side*

That's right- prog 2300 has been restocked and is next to prog 2301.

And next to those, the latest Megazine.

I'm wondering if the 2300s are reprints?

Anyway, a lovely surprise!

* maybe I should've taken a pic?