Main Menu

how to do a prog slog

Started by sheridan, 22 May, 2015, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glassstanley

Quote from: sheridan on 15 September, 2015, 11:46:39 PM
Quote from: AlexF on 15 September, 2015, 01:52:50 PM
Your ambition on covering EVERYTHING is to be greatly admired! Good luck to you.

As you say, it's tough to find new things to say about the very early Progs that hasn't been said before, but so far so good!
Thanks!  I probably won't include the phone cards ('coz I don't have them), but will include the movies - not sure what I'll do about the audio plays and books yet, but I'll fit 'em in somehow.

The first series of phone cards can be found on the fantastic Cellar of Dredd site. Virgin novels are easy to place as the Meg printed a Prelude chapter for each; audios and the Black Flame novels have publication dates on Amazon. I spent a couple of years slowly compiling a publication order list of all Dredd World stories. Most of it is fairly easy to place..

sheridan

Quote from: glassstanley on 18 September, 2015, 07:06:40 PM
Quote from: AlexF on 15 September, 2015, 01:52:50 PM
Your ambition on covering EVERYTHING is to be greatly admired! Good luck to you.

As you say, it's tough to find new things to say about the very early Progs that hasn't been said before, but so far so good!
Thanks!  I probably won't include the phone cards ('coz I don't have them), but will include the movies - not sure what I'll do about the audio plays and books yet, but I'll fit 'em in somehow.

The first series of phone cards can be found on the fantastic Cellar of Dredd site. Virgin novels are easy to place as the Meg printed a Prelude chapter for each; audios and the Black Flame novels have publication dates on Amazon. I spent a couple of years slowly compiling a publication order list of all Dredd World stories. Most of it is fairly easy to place..
I got all the Virgin novels as they were coming out.  Do you still have that publication order list?

sheridan

Quote from: glassstanley on 18 September, 2015, 07:06:40 PM
The first series of phone cards can be found on the fantastic Cellar of Dredd site.

I thought I'd seen pictures of some of them before, and I knew John had them all so that must have been where I saw them.   Thanks for the reminder!

p.s. I've had a busy Saturday, but finally found time to read Prog 8, which is now up.

sheridan

Roll on Sunday, and Prog 9 - the Harlem Heroes make the cover (for the only time), the word 'prog' is used and Dredd uses his respirator.

sheridan

sheridan

Last post of this weekend takes me up to Prog 11: Follow Me into the Sun... you will Share the Death of a Martian Warrior! (Bolland's first appearance, the rules to the Flesh game and Dredd's first resignation of many).

TordelBack

These are great reading, keep it up!  I'd no idea Tharg sheds his skin (although it explains a lot).  Is it really PVC, and not polystyrene,that Tharg eats originally? The kinky green divil!

Dash Decent

There's a bit in the very early progs - the letters page in prog 8, or something like that - where Tharg describes Betelguesian females as being very alien looking, with tentacles etc.  Of course, when one finally shows up in the prog (Marg?) she's just a female version of Tharg.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

sheridan

Quote from: Dash Decent on 21 September, 2015, 11:17:46 PM
There's a bit in the very early progs - the letters page in prog 8, or something like that - where Tharg describes Betelguesian females as being very alien looking, with tentacles etc.  Of course, when one finally shows up in the prog (Marg?) she's just a female version of Tharg.
I don't think I've come across that bit yet, and I'm up to Prog 12, as of yesterday.

sheridan

Hot on the tail of Prog 12 comes Prog 13 (the first prog to be called a prog instead of a programme).

glassstanley

FYI, Inferno is on the cover of Prog 68.

sheridan

Quote from: Albion on 22 May, 2015, 10:54:08 PM
I'm currently on a Prog Slog.

My next Prog is 250. This was such a golden era for 2000AD that I am getting through them quite quickly as I am skipping the previously mentioned classic stories.
The real joy for me has been the Future Shocks. I had forgotten a few of them and there are some real gems in there.

Which prog are you up to now?  After a week since the last one (my self-imposed deadline) I'm up to Prog 14.

Albion

I'm on Prog 615. There's a dip in quality now.
The era of Zippy Couriers, Night Zero and Swifty"s Return (Sooner or Later).
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Dandontdare

interesting note on the "furry tyrannosaurs" from prog 11:

QuoteIn the final talk session of the entire meeting, Jean Le Loeuff looked at Mathurin Meheut's artwork (in 1943 Meheut produced a fairly surreal painting titled Les Diplodocus), and Allison Ksiazkiewicz spoke about... about.. well, I'm not entirely sure, but it was something to do with how viewers interpret the gaze of ancient animals as depicted in artwork. And, in the very last talk of the conference, Jeff Liston provided an outstanding overview of how the dinosaur renaissance was depicted in the comics and books of the 1970s. A 1977 story from 2000 A.D., 'Flesh', has Late Cretaceous theropods ganging up on villainous humans who have come back in time to harvest herbivorous dinosaurs. Led by the matriarchal tyrannosaur Old One Eye, a coalition of tyrannosaurs and spinosaurs co-operated: where else could you hear the line 'From the north came the furry tyrannosaurs'? Important is that the story incorporated Deinonychus. So agile, furry dinosaurs had infiltrated popular culture pretty soon after Bakker's early articles (Bakker 1968, 1971, 1972, 1975).

From: http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2008/05/13/dahp-part-ii/

amines2058

Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 October, 2015, 04:11:33 PM
interesting note on the "furry tyrannosaurs" from prog 11:

QuoteIn the final talk session of the entire meeting, Jean Le Loeuff looked at Mathurin Meheut's artwork (in 1943 Meheut produced a fairly surreal painting titled Les Diplodocus), and Allison Ksiazkiewicz spoke about... about.. well, I'm not entirely sure, but it was something to do with how viewers interpret the gaze of ancient animals as depicted in artwork. And, in the very last talk of the conference, Jeff Liston provided an outstanding overview of how the dinosaur renaissance was depicted in the comics and books of the 1970s. A 1977 story from 2000 A.D., 'Flesh', has Late Cretaceous theropods ganging up on villainous humans who have come back in time to harvest herbivorous dinosaurs. Led by the matriarchal tyrannosaur Old One Eye, a coalition of tyrannosaurs and spinosaurs co-operated: where else could you hear the line 'From the north came the furry tyrannosaurs'? Important is that the story incorporated Deinonychus. So agile, furry dinosaurs had infiltrated popular culture pretty soon after Bakker's early articles (Bakker 1968, 1971, 1972, 1975).

From: http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2008/05/13/dahp-part-ii/

Hmmm... One for the swipe file???