Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 16 December, 2016, 01:25:36 PM
Hawks - Samurai Champloo, or Cowboy Bebop?

I'm torn. (And yet to see Kids on the Slope but its on my list now)
Bebop IMHO, but don't write off Champloo. Or Kids on the Slope. Or Space Dandy.

All of these are classics, but Cowboy Bebop is just st on a whole other level.

Theblazeuk

Haven't caught Space Dandy either...

Dandontdare

Just noticed that season 2 of Man in The High Castle is out on Amazon Prime - must be sure to watch all of these before my year's sub  expires in Feb as I doubt I'll be renewing it.

Tjm86

Ooh, tidy!  That's my cooking watching sorted for the next couple of weeks then!

Mardroid

I finished the Expanse today not even realising it was.the last episode. I do hope they renew it, as they can't end it like that!*

*Okay, they can, as Dark Skies and various other programmes illustrate. But they shouldn't....

HdE

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 16 December, 2016, 01:25:36 PM
I'm torn. (And yet to see Kids on the Slope but its on my list now)

Punt Kids on the Slope up your 'to view' list ahead of Samurai Champloo, would be my advice. And if yu can get hold f it on Blu Ray, even better (the DVDs have that horrible PAL speed-up mutilation that makes voices sound tinny and garbled in places.)

The show's the perfect answer to any of these idiotic complaints that anime is all massive eyes and   needlessly weird stuff. For those not in the know and curious, it's about an unlikely friendship that develops between two young men based on an appreciation of jazz music in 1960s Japan. That may not sound especially thrilling, but the story that unfolds is engrossing stuff. The ending is absolutely fantastic as well!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Theblazeuk

Champloo and Bebop are the ones I've seen, Kids on the Slope is acquired and in the ever expanding to-watch list ;) Probably be my first non-ghibli anime that doesn't have at least one sword fight tho

HdE

Well, it DOES have an awesome jazz duel at one point. That's almost as good, right?
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Hawkmumbler

Still working my way through the Ultra series, coming towards the conclusion of Ultraseven. As I said in another thread, works tyering right now, so it's nice to have some brainless but hugely entertaining tokusatsu on the go. Also, MYTHOOOOS!!!

soggy

Quote from: Mardroid on 18 December, 2016, 01:52:33 AM
I finished the Expanse today not even realising it was.the last episode. I do hope they renew it, as they can't end it like that!*

*Okay, they can, as Dark Skies and various other programmes illustrate. But they shouldn't....

You can rest easy, they released a trailer for season 2 (of the Expanse not Dark skies) a week ago.

Mardroid

Great! Thanks!

I recently watched the box set of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. I enjoyed that a lot. It's rather different from the original stories written by Douglas Adams (although it borrowed some plot points) but not in a bad way.

Smith

Im hooked on The Walking Dead these days.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Smith on 30 December, 2016, 06:51:15 PM
Im hooked on The Walking Dead these days.

Yeah I'm working my way through Walking Dead (just finished Season 4 tonight in fact) and its a show with massive ups and downs. At times its infuriating and at time great - its rarely if ever Sopranos/The Wire/ Breaking Bad / The West Wing great but it has its moments when they come. Some of the internal logic, use of zombies and what not, just to drive plot, story and character gets a bit grating at times and it can be distracting. Like the comic its not as smart as I think it wants to be. But its often edge of the seat entertaining and has enough about the characters to keep you involved.

The second half of season four, after the big schenganians in episode eight [spoiler]when the group are split up [/spoiler] has been by far the best of the show up to this point, with some great stories and fantastic work with the characters. I'm particularly fond of 'The Grove'. I think normally its better in these smaller moments as the bigger stuff sometimes doesn't work as well and looses sense in its desire to create tension and move things along. I was also a big fan of the stuff in Season 2 on the farm.

Reckon I'll be sticking with it for now as over all while its no classic, as I've said its entertaining enough and like the comic does a fantastic job of being a compelling page turner.

Mardroid

Travelers on Netflix.

I've been watching a lot of this these last couple of days. Partly due to the fact I've cancelled my Netflix subscription and I think this is my last month, and partly cos it's pretty interesting.

A group of five people from the future (one group of many cells) have their minds sent back to people in the 21st century who are a out to die. (Essentially they overwrite the person's memory with their own consciousness, and prevent the death.) They continue in that person's life and come together for various missions to help prevent worldwide destruction of humanity.

It's not entirely original in premise, but as a whole it's pretty interesting, and the characters are likeable.

Smith

@Colin That,and those are some incredible headshots. :)
Im currently working my way thru  season 3.The farm had its moments,but it ran for longer then it should have IMO.