Main Menu

Dredd screening in Dundee with Alan Grant, Al Ewing, Colin MacNeil & Cam Kennedy

Started by philb, 04 September, 2012, 09:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

ach, looks like a great night with some fine peeps, good luck chaps!!
DDT did a job on me

Trout

This was great.

The cinema was nearly full and it was a good atmosphere, with lots of moments where everyone reacted together. Big laughs a few times, too. At the end, there was a big round of applause for the film. You don't hear that too often.

There was also the opening of the Dredd art exhibition at Dundee University, which has some beautiful pieces by MacNeil, Flint and others. The biggest was a print of Alex Ronald's Zarjaz cover - beautiful stuff. There was a talk there, with a Q&A from Al Ewing, Cam Kennedy and Colin Macneil, and it was a good laugh. My favourite revelation was that Al has named a judge after his mate and every time he moves house that judge shows up in a strip as a thank-you for help with lugging boxes. There was another Q&A after the film so it was good to hear reactions from comics creators.

I especially enjoyed meeting up with like-minded people, especially Alex, Montynero, Cam, Al, Colin and others. The last I saw of them, they were heading for the bar... I behaved.  :)

- Trout

Montynero

Yes, it was a brilliant night! I could listen to Cam and the others speak all night.

Great to see all the art together. You had Macneil pieces from the start of his career, right next to mid career paintings and the latest art. An inspiring variety of approaches. Very informative to see and listen to Cam describing his approach to drawing Dredd too.

The film was amazing. My mind is still blown at how clever it was. Anderson and Dredd were spot on, both individually and in regard to the tension between them. It was an incredible action film, irrespective of any 2000ad connection: lean and visceral, just how I like 'em.

I sat next to Trout throughout though. You can't have it all ;)

COMMANDO FORCES

I read this on twitter last night 'Some fanboy fascist in the audience tonight barracking Colin Macneil for not liking the film enough'. What was that all about, as it sounds like it was an excellent night for everyone!

Trout

Colin wasn't keen on the film. He said it wasn't his idea of Dredd. That's his right, and not just because he's a very successful and much-loved Dredd artist.

Some guy, who was supposed to be asking a question, said Colin would never get a perfect Dredd and should settle for that one. He also was entitled to his opinion but he was expressing it in a slightly narky way.

It wasn't a big deal, really. Everyone else in the room was a bit uncomfortable but the discussion moved on quickly.

Quote from: Montynero on 29 September, 2012, 05:51:23 PM
Very informative to see and listen to Cam describing his approach to drawing Dredd too.

The man's a legend.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Trout on 29 September, 2012, 06:23:31 PM
Colin wasn't keen on the film. He said it wasn't his idea of Dredd. That's his right, and not just because he's a very successful and much-loved Dredd artist.

Some guy, who was supposed to be asking a question, said Colin would never get a perfect Dredd and should settle for that one. He also was entitled to his opinion but he was expressing it in a slightly narky way.

It wasn't a big deal, really. Everyone else in the room was a bit uncomfortable but the discussion moved on quickly.

AUDIO: http://audioboo.fm/OnTheSuperFly

Trout

Yeah, Joe, although tl;dr for me.  ;)

I'd guess the tiny bit of controversy would be in part one of the Q&A, but it would be wrong to focus on that. It was an overwhelmingly positive event.

radiator

Cpt Rhodes

Many revelations at the Q&A.
TB Grover was the local butcher. I'd never heard than one before.

CrazyFoxMachine

That person clearly hasn't spoken to Mr MacNeil before, that's literally his reaction to everything that or "It's not how I would've done it" - it's why he's such a ruddy genius :D

Sounds like a glorious evening I wish we had such a concentration of legends in our vicinity to make such a thing possible!

Trout

Bolt-01

philb

There was a pro photographer taking shots, I will have a look
through them to see if it is in any shots...