Main Menu

Kingdom Come? prog: 1574

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 18 February, 2008, 06:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

I thought that the cover had too much purple on the beasts to make it striking enough for me. I would have went with the last page of the Kingdom strip itself as it has more impact.
Only really read the Dredd strip and it's great to see all the strands moving ever closer to their conclusions each prog as the detective work continues apace!

Grant Goggans

Does something new replace Shakara this week, or is Kingdom double-length?

paulvonscott

Could be refreshingly good, could be rubbish, let's see!

Being Human Mon 18 Feb, 21:00 - 22:00
BBC Three
New drama. When a werewolf and a vampire move in together, they find the house is haunted by a ghost, and the three outsiders soon become friends. Some strong language. [AD,S] Then 60 Seconds.

Pete Wells

Here we go then:

Cover - I thought Commando Forces said there was too much puple on the breasts! Dammit the Speed Dating tread is warping my mind! It's a nice Elson cover though nothing can beat the one he did for prog 1570.

Dredd - Class. I liked how Dredd won the mutant vote out of respect for him, I wondered how Wagner was going to swing it!

I did think the leaps in Beeny's logic were a bit too wild but I'm sure on a re-read they'll make more sense. "You giving the orders kid?" "No, this is!" was worth the cover price alone! I can't wait for next week's episode as we still don't know what PJ has done to JP. Will Beeny get there in time and bag the perp that Dredd has consistently failed to? Amazing stuff from Wagner.

Stickleback - Continues to impress with sublime art and fantastic dialogue - knobs, Shitkickers and Geegaws a plenty. Dizzy's lighting when Jack lights is great, worth the cover price alone (can you see a pattern forming here?)

Kingdom - Once again, Abnett and Elson produce the goods! Half way through this episode I was a bit disappointed in Gene's sudden change of character but should have kept my faith in such a talented team. I'll tell you what an all, that last page is worth the cover price alone!

Future Shock - I'm not a fan of Future Shocks though this was entertaining enough with a nice twist.

Stront - Continues to please like an old friend. Nice to see how Billy has been won over by Jonny's actions as the weeks have gone on. The full page splash is brilliant (and horrible, it's coming out of him back!) - worth about £1.90 of anyone's money that! Wulf narrowly misses out on quote of the prog with "First you say Hello to Vulf's little friend!" I wonder how many times Jonny has heard that?

Another cracking prog from the house of Tharg which, by my reckoning, has at least four "worth the price alone" moments in it which makes £7.60. We get it for £1.90, top value indeed!

Trout

Bizarrely, I've ended up with purple ink all over one hand, and the cover lettering now has purple fingerprints all over it! Ah well. Never mind. It's not the end of the world.

It's a  bloody fantastic prog this week, with a great cover.

The developments in Dredd I found really exciting, and I'm loving the art, despite a minor gripe I'm adding, just for fun, after a spoiler space below.

As for Stickleback, just how many great ideas are stuffed into this strip? It's a rich treat every week, in story and art. Did anyone else spot D'Israeli himself, hidden among the tortured souls? :-)

I'm with Pete on that last page of Kingdom - I'd love to own it! This strip is one of the surprise highlights of the past months, especially given its first series didn't exactly set the heather on fire. It's horrible and thrilling and just what 2000AD should be doing. Bloody well done!

I thought the Future Shock had a good central idea and a decent ending, which I only partially guessed. The art wasn't brilliant - we've had far better from Staz - but if you have to have filler, have filler like this.

Lastly, more splash page thrills from Strontium Dog. This is why Carlos is the bollocks. The man's a star and the story's up to a strong standard, too.

We're being spoiled by the current progs.

DREDD SPOILER - SCAN OF A PANEL BELOW
I mean it. Not sure if spoiler tags work on images, but I'm going to have a go...

Colin's a gent and a brilliant artist, but I think the frame below qualifies as an off-day.

How tall is the guy in the bed meant to be?

Wait - is he a mutie? HAW! ;-)

Posted with respect and just for a wee laugh.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/king_trout/?action=view¤t=leggies.jpg" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/king_trout/leggies.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">

Overall: nice work, Green Bonce!

- Trout

Trout

Rats. Spoiler tags don't work on images then.

Worth a try.

Sorry if that's pissed anyone off.

Proudhuff

Trout it worked for me...

Cover: nice image of Mr T

Damage report : its better than eastenders

JD: Great stuff, the die is cast...

Sticleback: quote of the week: 'Ashenden, you Knob!' nice bito' backstory to Stickleback, he's a Kartoom character! that tunnel a horrific idea.

Kingdom: continues to shine

Future shock: enjoyed this , a bit wordy in places artwork was fine I thought.

SD: five pages of fights, what's not to like?

Wulf's cottaging again? :'First say hello to Wilf's little friend!'

letters page with a few regulars?

over all a wonderful prog: jings how are Matt and Thargy going to follow this?

Huffnstuff
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Trout it worked for me...

Cover: nice image of Mr T

Damage report : its better than eastenders

JD: Great stuff, the die is cast...

Sticleback: quote of the week: 'Ashenden, you Knob!' nice bito' backstory to Stickleback, he's a Kartoom character! that tunnel a horrific idea.

Kingdom: continues to shine

Future shock: enjoyed this , a bit wordy in places artwork was fine I thought.

SD: five pages of fights, what's not to like?

Wulf's cottaging again? :'First say hello to Wilf's little friend!'

letters page with a few regulars?

over all a wonderful prog: jings how are Matt and Thargy going to follow this?

Huffnstuff
DDT did a job on me

ARRISARRIS

...more evidense for the Johnny and Wulf relationship in this edition???  ho ho...http://i4.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/db/07/5fb3_1.JPG">

numanti

Another top notch prog.  The revelation in Dredd marred slightly by last week's Nerve Centre giving the outcome away, but still pretty major.  Beeny is shaping up to be a great character.

Regarding the Damage Report... the font is so small I can't actually read it, even with my glasses on.  Doesn't Tharg realise that doggering old gets read the prog?  I always feel I'm missing out...

Banners

Proudhuff

so that's what the cutaways in Wulf's costume are for! Hope he's wrapped the rascal...
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Someone with strong webfu could take the  'First say hello to Wilf's little friend!' speech bubble and place it over that image...
DDT did a job on me

Mardroid

Heh heh. I never interpreted that picture that way. Gave me a chuckle you filthy toe-rag you.

Cover:  Ok. Nive and colourful. Them are supposed to be shaded that way, as they're in shadow and they're not the main focus.

Dredd:  I'm really liking this story. Duck. Splatt. Heh heh.

Stickleback: More twisted interesting progression. Makes you wonder who/what this Cody creature actually is...I'm assuming the fat man was essentially a portal to that strange  place with the heads etc?  That or a tardis style mini universe all to himself?

Kingdom:  Slow progression last week so the action we got here was nice. Great strip. Those who thought it would be a girl and her dog after this, I think they might well be right.

Future Shocks:  I wasn't that taken by this. I don't want to be overly critical, (I'm an aspiring writer myself and yet to have anything published so I must be fair)but I think it was just to wordy really. Credit where due though the premise and story was interesting.

Stronty:  Ouch. Ouch as in the way the brick was dispatched I mean. The story itself whilst simple was likeable. That scene (pictured above) where Johnny slumps forward makes him really look out of balance though doesn't it?  I guess something must really be holding him up from behind.

"Look Johnny. No hands!"

Sorry had to take it down that route didn't I... Or up tha... no. No. I won't finish that sentence.

Dark Jimbo

I dunno Trout, I think that pic's more or less right, even though it does look a bit odd; a man's arm extends the length of the torso and ends more or less at the same level as the groin - so taking his hand as the starting point for his legs (which are the longest single bit of a man's body) leaves you with a man that's not really especially tall.

They could've given him a longer bed, though, poor chap.
@jamesfeistdraws