Main Menu

The Complete Zenith now exists in hardback

Started by matty_ae, 27 June, 2008, 03:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty_ae

Here you go. I'm pleased - looks nice on the shelf.

COMMANDO FORCES

That looks absolutely GORGEOUS, truly a dedicated fan indeed.
The binding is fantastic and you are right, that would grace anyones shelves. I also love the way you've got some art drawn in there as well, just adds that extra special touch.

Marbles

Very nice indeed. I've had a lot of American comics bound (Preacher, Brubakers Catwoman, The Filth), but these look exceptional.

Where did you get them bound ? How much did it cost ?
Remember - dry hair is for squids

TordelBack

judgerufian

Fantastic looking book. A lot of work must have gone into it but I repeat the earlier question re costs to bind, send to the binders, postage etc. I guess it must have been worth it when it was received though!

Ignatzmonster

matty_ae

Hi. The binding costs are pretty reasonable - this book was £35.

You do have to separate out all the pages - ie cut them out and remove staples etc. I did photocopy up the smaller pages (from the annual and prog 2000) Apologies but I do own the originals.

The logo stamp cost (my brother) £20 but obviously you can re-use it. I guess the big costs is all the issues. The cheapest and best way is to use the four best of 2000ads 99,100, 110, 111 for the first 2 phases then cut out phases 3 and 4 from the progs. Adding in zzzenith.com, a night2 remember, midsummer page as well (well if you are going to be completist!!!)

This is my second attempt and I wanted every single Zenith cover in the book to make it completist and every pin-up as well.

It's really good fun to do. It's quite a hard job for the book binder as the paper stock changes and ultimately he's got to trim 400+ pages. I supplied the end papers - they were drawn on and then 'stuck' in. I was really worried that it would be unfair to get artists to draw direct into a book when you're only paying for a con sketch.

Glad you like it! My twin brother is far more active and genius at this (he binds them himself) and has done everything from Miracleman (Alan moore signed) to Toxics and Crisis (the pat mills one)

Your local craft college has courses in book binding which is a really good way to start.

WoD

matty_ae

Bookbinder in Bedford is J Lawrence - google it if you want the tel number. He's good and inexpensive.

There's a great bookbing forum in the states - the americans really seem to love this stuff

Ive got to say the size of UK comics makes them better to bind as they are bigger and stand up better to the gutter loss you get (the loss on the left side of the page)