Main Menu

My suggestion - Halo Jones

Started by matty_ae, 17 July, 2008, 04:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty_ae

I listened to that last Alan Moore podcast and it's quite clear that he is never going to return to 2000ad. And I understand his decision - that he doesn't want to work on properties that he doesn't own (and fortunately he doesn't have to)

So why not let someone else have a go at writing Halo Jones now? It's clearly episodic, it's clearly unfinished and hopeful Ian Gibson would be up for (at least) drawing it.

I know it would be better if Alan Moore did it. But he isn't going to. And it would get me buying every issue of 2000ad again. And cos its 20 + years later it's hardly sacrilege.

If Rebellion aren't doing this because they think Alan is going to come back - then I think they'll be waiting forever.
If Rebellion aren't doing this because they are being respectful - they are be astonishingly uncommercial for a company that deals with exploiting licensed characters.
And finally if they aren't doing this cos it will upset us fans (my conclusion) - I've got to question this - as long as Ian Gibson is on board and there's a good script - I want to see it.

Would you really be upset, 20 years on if someone else wrote this?  
I know there was talk of Bk 4 Pirate Princess (?) at one point

Dunk!

In my humble opinion this would have Episode 1 stamped all over it.

If Moore had written the scripts for Halo 1-9 (or 1-12 from some hazy memory) 20 years ago and they'd then sat in a vault until some ownership issues were cleared up; I'd be chomping at the bit to get my hands on the prog they resurfaced in.

As it stands, it's of it's time and everyone involved has moved on; Moore being a different writer now so probably unable to capture the original spirit and anyone else being just a stand in.

Nice idea - what am i saying? Fantastic fanboy idea we've all collectively daydreamed at some point - but I'd rather stick with what we have then have it ruined ala the prequel mentioned above.

Dunk! - still using his Halo Jones artwork as a much-loved comfort blanket.
"Trust we"

IndigoPrime

Get Mark Millar to write Halo. After all, he made such a good job of Sam Slade.

TordelBack

QuoteSo why not let someone else have a go at writing Halo Jones now?

Because it wouldn't be the same Halo Jones, the one Alan envisaged, and thus would be entirely uninteresting (to me, at least), and would probably put me off me Prog for the duration - which should be 7 more books, no?  It would, in short, be Skizz II and III all over again (cue a chorus of "but I liked Skizz II!" - maybe, but was it really worth the effort?).   Also, find me a loose end to follow at the end of Book 3, other than Halo herself and her Free Lunch Drive - it's very neatly wrapped up, despite what the Magus and Ian might say about plans for the future.

Roger Godpleton

If this happened I would stop reading and various turds would be in the post to various people.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Buddy

If I remember correctly with the few conversations I've had with Gibson at the odd Con and in emails about the future of Halo I think he said all the books had been plotted if not actually scripted and he had himself written Book 4 but his respect for Moore really prevented him for puting it forward for publication.

I got the impression if he got the OK from Moore he would publish it. But I could be wrong of course :(

Personally I'd like to see it, I'd like to see Gibson put in the quality of artwork we all know he is capable of and I think Gibson has enough of a grasp of the character to do a good job on it.

He's forever complaining about the quality of the scripts he's working on (and not just in 2000ad) so here he can put his money where his mouth is.

Adrian Bamforth

Quote from: "TordelBack"Also, find me a loose end to follow at the end of Book 3, other than Halo herself and her Free Lunch Drive - it's very neatly wrapped up, despite what the Magus and Ian might say about plans for the future.

I agree, for me it's perfect as a trilogy: It covers her journey from adolescence to adulthood, the most pivotal time in a person's life, much like Evey in V. She heads off intoa universe of possibilities, but it's hard to imagine her changing more after all she's seen and been through.

When the hero rides off into the sunset I don't really want to see what happens to them over the hill (so to speak).

matty_ae

I understand the Episode One remark but Indy 4 was a different experience.

Its not as good but in no way did it diminsh my enjoyment of the first 3. And I think that was down to just seeing Harrison Ford smiling on screen as Indy.

And I'd feel just as good seeing a beaming Halo Jones episode 4 drawn by Ian Gibson. I agree that the sunset ending was perfect (just like Last Crusade) but isn't it worth a try? Halo obviously had more adventures to be so highly regarded in the future.

Ultimately the character will get used by some publisher at some point in the future - it would be nice to see it while Ian could still be involved and frankly benefit from it. I'd support Ian in this.

Dark Jimbo

Learn the lessons from history - Bad Company, Robo Hunter, Rogue Trooper, Skizz, The VCs...

It's a good thing when your characters go out on a high, not a reason to crowbar in more unecessary adventures.

Let's have just a few strips we can remember as something unadulteratedly brilliant, rather than - 'Oh, wasn't that the strip that started well but turned into some godawful pointless runaround then died in a mess of continuity and just sort of stopped without a proper ending because everyone was sick of it?'
@jamesfeistdraws

Dark Jimbo

Actually, little of what I just said applies to Halo, I'll admit - it just comes down to my having been burnt before, and I'd rather leave it as it is.
@jamesfeistdraws

chris_askham

With all respect to Ian Gibson (and I'm a massive fan of his work) I really don't want to see him writing anything, least of all new Halo Jones. I know all I need to know of Halo from the three faultless books we've had, and anything else for me would be truly pointless.

What Gibson really needs is a decent multipart story, something new and fresh,that's going to challenge him, rather than the throwaway tosh he's had in recent years.

Bolt-01

A lot of folks don't seem to remember that Ian is very capable of drama, and not just light, throwaway strips. Think of what he would be capable of turning in if presented with a script like- Defoe, for example. It could be a very different look but I'd be interested to see how he did with it.

Steven Sterlacchini

As much as I love Halo Jones and would love to see more like it, I agree that it ended quite well.

I'm not even sure I'd want to see Alan Moore do more. To be honest my expectation would probably be too high for anyone to meet.

Perhaps a couple of one offs which don't include Halo but are set in the same world would be cool. It would have to be illustrated by Ian Gibson.

TordelBack

QuotePerhaps a couple of one offs which don't include Halo but are set in the same world would be cool. It would have to be illustrated by Ian Gibso
n.

Now there's a nice idea.

chris_askham

I'll be very wary of any new thrills with a female lead character who has mysteriously forgotten her past, and has a badly scarred / reconstructed face...