Main Menu

Hello!

Started by Bouwel, 25 November, 2008, 08:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bouwel

Hi there

Well, I read 2000AD from issue number one right up until the mid 1990's when, to be delicate, it went a bit pants.

Clearing out the lock-up a few weeks back I re-discovered all the old issues/annuals/Sci-Fi specials and, now being of an age where I have little else to do, I decided to have a read of them. I was amazed at the quality of the stories and artwork even after all this time (yes, I know there are a fair few duds in the early days!). This further prompted me to buy the missing issues (well, most of them anyway) and catch up to date with things. I will say I am impressed, although Judge Dredds theme in the early 00's should have been 'I get knocked down, but I get up again..'. I mean, just how much abuse can a man of that age take; there's hope for me yet :)

Anyway, thought I'd pop my head in here and see what's going on. What I would have given for a forum like this back in the 1970's!

-Bouwel-
(Things I have learnt today: 'Bouwel' is part of the municiplaity of 'Grobbendonk' by Antwerp, Belgium. Guess which nick I wanted but which had been taken!)
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

TordelBack

Greetings Bouwel, you tell a familiar tale of recidivism.  Great rationale for the name, BTW.

Buttonman

Good morning and welcome.

I've been to Belgium and had a great time overdosing on blonde beer and waffles. Thought you'd be more of a Tintin fan than a devotee of Dredd but what the hell, Dredd has a bigger gun.

Do you know Chris Kendall who has four of Belgium's five published letters, including the Letter of the week in Prog 1383? If not you must know Guy Ettore who holds your country's other score, charting in Prog 665 in 1990 - Belgium's first ever appearance letterside.

Anyway have fun here and get your art entry in - could I suggest a pissing baby with a Rogue Trooper helmet?

Richmond Clements

Bouwel

There's an art competition on here?

Hmm...I may have to have a go of that :) )
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Dr Feeley Good

Kerrin

Bouwel

Thank you for the welcomes :)

-Bouwel-

Dandontdare

Welcome to the board.

I came very close to dropping out in the 90s like you, but as my mum kindly kept the prog on the family paper bill long after I moved out, I kept going and it was worth sticking with! (Eventually, I had to get my own subs though - can't mooch off the eldsters for ever - I now only exploit them as a Back-prog Storage Facility!)

Still don't get the thing about your username though - were you aiming for 'Bowel' perhaps?

Bouwel

Hehe, 'Bowel' isn't perhaps such a good name for a user.

I wanted the user name 'Grobbendonk' (Nemesis familiar?) but the name was taken. I Googled and found that 'Grobbendonk' is a real place by Antwerp in Belgium and that 'Bouwel' is a district of Grobbendonk. The flag you can see as my avatar is the flag of Grobbendonk :)

Yes, I have to say the 90's were a poor time for 2000 AD. It got to the point where I really wasn't reading it so I sort of gave up. I wish I had kept on now as I would have had a complete collection!

-Bouwel-

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Roger Godpleton

You should know that we have a "naked Sundays" rule around here.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Bouwel

Ahh...just like the rest of the internet then ;)

-Bouwel-

IAMTHESYSTEM

Hello Bouwel, welcome to the jungle!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

SamuelAWilkinson

Quote from: "IAMTHESYSTEM"Hello Bouwel, welcome to the jungle!

I think that would wrongly imply that we have both fun and games, which is a bare-faced lie.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.