Main Menu

Terry Pratchett: Living with Alzheimer's

Started by SamuelAWilkinson, 11 February, 2009, 08:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamuelAWilkinson

Anyone else watching this? I saw the first episode last week and the second's on now. It's a really moving, touching and informative sort of a documentary, and a clever insight into the whole nasty experience for those who, like me, don't have much first-hand experience on what it's all about. I'd recommend tuning in.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Matt Timson

Pffft...

Hoagy

Is any one else dealing with Alzhiemers with a Madras n 4 lagers?
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Mardroid

I didn't see the first one, but I watched it today. Interesting and touching, yes. I'm glad to see him staying positive at least.

That injection in LA was interesting.  A cynical part of me makes me wonder how much was spin, although I think it was for real.  Whether or not all patients who are treated react similarly or they just showed the good results, I don't know. Either way, any result is positive.

Robin Low

Darn, saw the first episode, forgot all about last night's.

With regard to the first one, I found the researcher towards the start rather annoying and misleading with his excessively positive spin - a man clearly looking for more funding. He'd no doubt deny it, but frankly it felt like it was trying to take advantage of a scared, but very wealthy man. Hell, look how much money has been pumped into HIV and AIDS research - we've improved life expectancies enormously, but we've still not found a cure for the damn thing, so I have to take this guy's confidence with a bucket of salt. I'm sure we'll fix this disease, and all the others, sooner or later, but I get tired of hearing 'the next five to ten years' all the bloody time.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about Practhett. I know he's scared and desperate, but he speaks as though everyone has been deliberately ignoring the problem of Alzheimers and he going to suffer for our neglect, but I've seen no evidence that he was remotely interested in it prior to being diagnosed with it himself.

Regards

Robin

TordelBack

QuoteI've seen no evidence that he was remotely interested in it prior to being diagnosed with it himself.

I don't think he's ever pretended otherwise.  He's taking an entirely personal grudge against the bloody thing because it's eating his brain, and quite right he is too:  "I'm going to make Alzheimers sorry it caught me".  Better to light a candle, and all that.

It's always shocking when you fall into the arms of medical science or social welfare, and realise that something you've never given much thought to is now affecting you, and unfortunately nearly everyone else has been ignoring it too.  I do agree that the miracle-cure optimism from others was a little irritating.

Buddy

Quote from: "TordelBack"
QuoteI've seen no evidence that he was remotely interested in it prior to being diagnosed with it himself.

I don't think he's ever pretended otherwise.  He's taking an entirely personal grudge against the bloody thing because it's eating his brain, and quite right he is too:  "I'm going to make Alzheimers sorry it caught me".  Better to light a candle, and all that.

It's always shocking when you fall into the arms of medical science or social welfare, and realise that something you've never given much thought to is now affecting you, and unfortunately nearly everyone else has been ignoring it too.  I do agree that the miracle-cure optimism from others was a little irritating.

And why should he have had an interest in it before actually catching it??

I never had much of an interest in autism (sure I'd seen Rainman) until my son was diagnosed with it... now I'm very interested in it.

Robin Low

Quote from: "TordelBack"

I don't think he's ever pretended otherwise....

Fair enough. I just don't recall him acknowledging that and find the tone of some of his comments a little accusing. It's just a feel I come away with, is all.

QuoteIt's always shocking when you fall into the arms of medical science or social welfare, and realise that something you've never given much thought to is now affecting you, and unfortunately nearly everyone else has been ignoring it too.

Thing is, though, people haven't been ignoring it. People have been doing research into it for years, and it's not as if it hasn't cropped up in the media over the years, in factual shows and drama.

Regards

Robin

Robin Low

Quote from: "Uncle Umpty"And why should he have had an interest in it before actually catching it??

Because other people were already suffering from it? Because there was a chance that he might, too, or a member of his family, or a friend or colleague?

I've not succumbed to cancer, urinary incontinence or dementia, but I'm aware that the potential of them lies ahead of me, and the solutions might not be there for me if they do. If I'm stuffed as a result, it won't be because nobody has been doing anything, it'll be because solutions are not easy and there are too many problems competing for money. There's not enough money, because too few people take an interest until they or someone close is suffering.

I'm not suggesting he should have been funding research into Alzheimer's or anything else, just that I have a problem with what I interpreted as him suggesting that other people hadn't been doing enough about it, when he apparently hadn't given it much consideration either.

Regards

Robin