Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 17 March, 2022, 12:52:50 PM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 17 March, 2022, 12:49:45 PM
My Prog still hasn't arrived btw, and that's not a euphanism.

I already wish I hadn't said this. The concept of shouting 'the progs arrived!' at a climatic moment is now lodged horrifyingly my brain.

Prepare the way for the Mighty One!

paddykafka

Quote from: sheridan on 17 March, 2022, 01:42:06 PM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 17 March, 2022, 12:49:45 PM
My Prog still hasn't arrived btw, and that's not a euphanism.

I already wish I hadn't said this. The concept of shouting 'the progs arrived!' at a climatic moment is now lodged horrifyingly my brain.

Prepare the way for the Mighty One!

And his Mighty Organ!

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tjm86

The concept of shouting 'the progs arrived!' at a climatic moment is now lodged horrifyingly my brain.

There is just no words to respond adequately.  For decades we have tried to avoid the sexualisation of Tooth.  At a stroke (fnar, fnar) this has been undone ...

Barrington Boots

Then I guess my work here is done.

Tiplodocus, did you get home after your breakdown? (I assume this wasn't another euphemism)
You're a dark horse, Boots.

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 17 March, 2022, 10:02:45 PM
The concept of shouting 'the progs arrived!' at a climatic moment is now lodged horrifyingly my brain.

There is just no words to respond adequately.  For decades we have tried to avoid the sexualisation of Tooth.  At a stroke (fnar, fnar) this has been undone ...

Have we?  The very first prog features Probe*'s butt.

* fnar

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 18 March, 2022, 09:26:59 AM
Then I guess my work here is done.

Tiplodocus, did you get home after your breakdown? (I assume this wasn't another euphemism)

Actually I didn't. We broke down at night about 70 miles shy of Manchester so when they asked us where we'd like to be recovered to, we reckoned Manchester would have a big selection of garages who could repair the car under warranty. Not so. Nothing until mid April.

So we arranged to go back to Jockland where our local garage could fit us in yesterday.

Come Tuesday morning, thirty minutes before pick up, Green Flag (for it was them) called to tell us they had cancelled the pickup because policy states that a follow on pick up is limited to ten miles which they "generously" extended out to twenty

I took an extra day off work and called round every KIA garage in the area working out if they could take us and if they had room to have a car sitting until they could.

But no KIA dealer in that radius could fit us in until mid April.

Green Flag refused to budge and recover us back home despite their being no garages that could take us until April. "Policy says NO".

So now I'm on a train having effectively abandoned my car at a garage 250 miles from home. The garage will finally run a diagnostic on 12th April. So I might get the car back a week later.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Angry Vince

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 23 March, 2022, 07:10:14 PM

I took an extra day off work and called round every KIA garage in the area working out if they could take us and if they had room to have a car sitting until they could.

But no KIA dealer in that radius could fit us in until mid April.

After years of mortgage, kids and other unavoidable expenses, I finally got my dream car last year - a Kia Stinger. A few weeks ago the lock cover on the drivers door came off (either knocked off or someone tried to break in). No major, first service coming up in a few weeks so I request a new one.

Turn up the the KIA service centre and get told that I should be at the other service centre - 45 minutes away. Rather than driver across town and back (twice), I rebooked it, but had to wait another three weeks for a slot.

Dropped it off at the right one yesterday and when I came to pick it up, the lock cover hadn't been replaced - it takes 8-10 weeks to come from Korea. No flights between Korean and New Zealand anymore, dontchaknow?

So I've got an ongoing source of irritation - a beautiful car that looks like I bought it from a dodgy guy behind the pub.

Oh and a rattling issue that I logged before the service - needs a new part, which is 8-10 weeks away because, y'know...
Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

Angry Vince

Update on my car lock thingy. Went back to work on Friday for the first time in a month or so. Parked at my usual spot & there is my lock cover. Looks like some tw@ was indeed trying to break in.

I now have a new parking spot, more expensive but in a high traffic area.

Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

milstar

Ah, since recently, I returned to my old hobby (if you can call it a hobby), that of making brief little trips to the bookmaker. As a punter, I cannot say I had any luck, but today I lost my ticket somewhere on my way home. As some games are about to begin, I can only hope that I blew up my betting skills before some poor old blighter picks it up and collects the cash.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

It's funting hot. 23° at 3am last night, and this morning I felt close to collapse on my walk to walk. I have never felt such heat.

And yet, people I know still think it's hilarious to post memes about 2022 people being 'snowflakes' because apparently 1976 was hotter. No it snecking wasn't. I was there, and it was  'nice'. This- THIS- is horrific.

And my son is 19 today, which is frankly terrifying.

And my current workplace smells of weed, thanks to the people in the flat below.

I am a grumpy funtwipe today.

SBT

The Legendary Shark

Same here. Weeding the campsite today is like auditioning as Satan's gardener.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

Not in this bloody weather - it'd be against Infernal Filth and Debris regulations.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 19 July, 2022, 12:01:54 PM
And yet, people I know still think it's hilarious to post memes about 2022 people being 'snowflakes' because apparently 1976 was hotter. No it snecking wasn't. I was there, and it was  'nice'. This- THIS- is horrific.

The peak of the '76 heatwave lasted fifteen days and averaged a maximum temperature of 32°. There was one very localised spike on one day that hit 36°. This bloody thing is going to have temperatures reaching 40° across a huge chunk of the country. That's a UK record, across a massive swathe of the country, for two consecutive days.

I have no idea how people can be just so straight-up bloody stupid — the difference of 8°C is huge. I mean, would they say there was no difference between a day that was 10° and one that was 18° (ie: the difference between really quite cold and fairly pleasant)? Or 18° and 26° (fairly pleasant and really quite warm)?

I am so sick of these fuckwits trying to every damn thing into some kind aspect of their 'culture war' on 'wokeness' and 'snowflakes'.

(Additionally not helped by Dominic Raab, the fucking deputy Prime Minister, saying on TV, when asked about the Met Office's weather warning for extreme heat, that 'everyone should go out and enjoy the sunshine.')
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.