Main Menu

Life's so drokking fantastic because (the rebirth)

Started by vzzbux, 22 April, 2010, 08:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

Good to hear that someone is coming back rather than leaving Gavin, enjoy!

David

Devons Daddy

you enjoyed the travels, wonderful!

welcome back to the board, and to home for christmas, perfect time of year, despite it all. 
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Dandontdare

Quote from: exilewood on 06 December, 2010, 03:04:32 AM
because there is Aretha Franklin.

Don't jinx her! She's in hospital at the moment recovering from surgery.

Albion

.....I've just read Prog 1712, from Clickwheel, on my 42" TV.

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

TordelBack

...because of two kid-related episodes (cynical 'dults look away now).

First, my 4 year old came home from school today with a dreidel and a jam doughnut, the word 'menorrah' and the story of Hanukkah (a ragtag band of rebel freedom fighters emerge from the hills to oust the Greek Imperials, thrilling stuff). This might sound fairly trivial guff, but I grew up around the largest Jewish community in Ireland (Rathgar), had three Jewish friends in school and yet hadn't heard of any of this until my late teens, despite being a bible geek - the Ireland of my youth was a religious monoculture, and non-Catholics tended to keep the practices of their faiths to themselves.  I'm not sure that it's vastly different now.  

We've gone to a serious amount of hassle sending The Boy to a multi-denominational school halfway across the city (where the first year's curriculum allegedly includes Buddhism and Humanism, FSM defend us) that promised to teach the variety of all its constituent cultures and beliefs (and none), and to my partial amazement that's what they seem to be doing - on the final day of Hanukkah his Jewish classmate brought in appropriate toys and food, and they learnt all about it together.  In my day the Jewish and Muslim kids just stood outside the assembly hall while 'we' had prayers and hymns.  Well chuffed I am.

Second, and on foot of the first, we had a chat about God and gods on the way home.  I outlined the type of god that Jews, Muslims and Christians all envision (as I understand it), and the more exciting Greek, Roman and Norse versions that's he's more interested in. The Boy opined that he figured the most likely thing was that this "God" was a Grandmother, which seemed both logical and satisfyingly celtic.  Then we chatted about the creation story that the Abrahamic religions share, Adam and Eve and the waters over the earth etc., and I asked him where he thought the first people came from.  After a thoughtful pause he said: "Africa".  

My boy.  

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Albion on 07 December, 2010, 09:46:44 PM
.....I've just read Prog 1712, from Clickwheel, on my 42" TV.

but you've stretched it to fill the 16:9 screen.

DrJomster

My subscription ran out with 1713 and I didn't get myself in gear to renew it and so was expecting to have to go to WH Smiths.... But then, what should drop through the letterbox but a complementary copy of 1714!!! I'll be phoning up to renew the sub tomorrow!  That gesture was really appreciated!

:D
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 December, 2010, 10:50:43 PM

We've gone to a serious amount of hassle sending The Boy to a multi-denominational school halfway across the city (where the first year's curriculum allegedly includes Buddhism and Humanism, FSM defend us) that promised to teach the variety of all its constituent cultures and beliefs (and none), and to my partial amazement that's what they seem to be doing - on the final day of Hanukkah his Jewish classmate brought in appropriate toys and food, and they learnt all about it together.  In my day the Jewish and Muslim kids just stood outside the assembly hall while 'we' had prayers and hymns.  Well chuffed I am.

Second, and on foot of the first, we had a chat about God and gods on the way home.  I outlined the type of god that Jews, Muslims and Christians all envision (as I understand it), and the more exciting Greek, Roman and Norse versions that's he's more interested in. The Boy opined that he figured the most likely thing was that this "God" was a Grandmother, which seemed both logical and satisfyingly celtic.  Then we chatted about the creation story that the Abrahamic religions share, Adam and Eve and the waters over the earth etc., and I asked him where he thought the first people came from.  After a thoughtful pause he said: "Africa".  

My boy.  

So in second year do they get to watch Ulysses 31 in the AV room?

TordelBack

I bloody well hope so.  Every child should learn of the capricious anger of the Gods of Olympus!

Buddy

I met (well, bumped into) complete movie legend, Sir Roger Moore in Monaco the other week!!!!

Lovely man.

Tiplodocus

Roger Moore is just fantastic.  I'd love to meet him.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

I, Cosh

I had dinner with Sir Rog a few years ago, also in Monaco. He is a legend.
We never really die.

Albion

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 December, 2010, 10:56:46 PM
but you've stretched it to fill the 16:9 screen.

I'm happy with scrolling. I can fit to height rather than width if I need to.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Buddy

Quote from: The Cosh on 09 December, 2010, 01:01:49 PM
I had dinner with Sir Rog a few years ago, also in Monaco. He is a legend.

You had dinner with Sir Roger!!!

And I thought I was doing good with the bumping into him.

Monaco a fantastic place and I highly recommend to anyone to visit if they can... you might even end up having dinner with Sir Roger!