Main Menu

Life's so drokking fantastic because (the rebirth)

Started by vzzbux, 22 April, 2010, 08:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You swine! I really want some lemon curd now
You may quote me on that.

Noisybast

I'm off to Turkey for a fortnight in about half an hour.
Please don't burgle me while I'm away. That would really take the shine off things.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Emperor

Quote from: Noisybast on 06 May, 2011, 03:08:16 AM
I'm off to Turkey for a fortnight in about half an hour.
Please don't burgle me while I'm away. That would really take the shine off things.

Its been a few years since I've been back (although I was soooo ill last time) and so I am awfully jealous (the country has a special place in my heart*) but it seems a little chilly so take a jumper. Also learn this off-by-heart: Tuvalet nerede?

* My mother first realised she was pregnant with me there (she blamed it on goat's milk at the time, and for a long time after the birth too), I suppose it could be said I was born there (it's complicated) and they've been kind enough to keep my uncle a long way from us for years now (if you see a tall British poet walking towards you, run).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Noisybast

Where's the toilet? Cheers Emperor - I'll bear it in mind! :D
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Emperor

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Colin Zeal

Congrats Emp. Being an uncle is great, especially if, like me, you don't have kids of your own. You're never at home stuck doing the "boring" stuff and you get to spoil your neices/nephews on days out.

Emperor

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 06 May, 2011, 02:18:03 PM
Congrats Emp. Being an uncle is great, especially if, like me, you don't have kids of your own. You're never at home stuck doing the "boring" stuff and you get to spoil your neices/nephews on days out.

Thanks for that, as I suddenly realised I didn't really have much of a clue what I was supposed to as an uncle. I am even falling down on what to buy as a present, as they have the dull stuff and it is too early to get him a subscription to the Galaxy's Greatest Comic (or is it?) and Chainsaw Massacre teddybears are oddly rare.

Now you mention it I suspect I try and follow the example of my ex-uncle who always seemed to have sweets and joke dog turds around on days out - I reckon I could manage that (it'll just mean handing out the spares I have around ;) ).

Colin Zeal

I didn't buy them anything when they were born as my sister and her husband already had everything they needed. I stuck some money aside to put into their bank accounts for when they're older. Sweets and fake dog pooh is definitely the right way to go.

Emperor

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 06 May, 2011, 02:38:51 PMI didn't buy them anything when they were born as my sister and her husband already had everything they needed.

This is my problem, they have better taste and more disposable income, so anything they need they've got and kids presents don't really fall into the weird/quirky category so I have yet to find something that is not just another teddy bear.

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 06 May, 2011, 02:38:51 PMI stuck some money aside to put into their bank accounts for when they're older

Now there's a thought - National Savings bonds? I still have some here from when I was a nipper (although I still haven't got round to all the hassle of checking if I have won anything).

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 06 May, 2011, 02:38:51 PMSweets and fake dog pooh is definitely the right way to go.

Good - it plays to my strengths ;)

Colin Zeal

Not sure what it was called, but Labour introduced a scheme where all children born were given money (possibly £100) and an account for when they turned 18. The Tories have ended the scheme so you may have to wait until the parents set one up or just give them the cash.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Emperor

Thanks sharky but they'd only think it was something connected to werewolves.

What about a toy Cthulhu? Are they safe for kids?
http://forbiddenplanet.com/3950-cthulhu-baby-plush/?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=comparison

It is the Toy Vault one but it has no details on age suitability:
http://www.toyvault.com/cthulhu/index.html

I might have to start a list of possible presents for the years to come ;)

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Emperor

Oooo a real tiger.

Quote from: Emperor on 06 May, 2011, 03:24:29 PM
Thanks sharky but they'd only think it was something connected to werewolves.

What about a toy Cthulhu? Are they safe for kids?
http://forbiddenplanet.com/3950-cthulhu-baby-plush/?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=comparison

It is the Toy Vault one but it has no details on age suitability:
http://www.toyvault.com/cthulhu/index.html

I might have to start a list of possible presents for the years to come ;)

Now the Amazon version of the small one has no warnings:
www.amazon.com/Toy-Vault-12-Cthulhu-Plush/dp/B0006IEX7C

But the large one has a very clear choking hazard warning on it:
www.amazon.com/Toy-Vault-12-Cthulhu-Plush/dp/B0006IEX7C

Does that mean the smaller one is fine? But they are both "filled with plush and beanies" and I have no idea what they are (some discussion here where folks are unclear). I have found a baby-friendly one though.

Something Fishy