Main Menu

Prog 1697 - Card Sharks!

Started by worldshown, 07 August, 2010, 08:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

worldshown

Rare eight O'clock prog for me this morning. If you're looking for action then Prog 1697 is definitely what you want.

Three strips with all out fighting, Dredd concludes, and Middenface and Precious travel to Zen.

Highlights of the prog: Everything Polly Alloy says, Middenface's translator trouble, the art on the first page of Savage, the cheap (but funny) gag in Droid Life, and you can also play "Where's Wally".

blixab

Even rarer 9am Prog for me.

Loved the Savage - on a count of 3... but did I expect any different?

Thought JD ended far too quickly. But that's probably only my thoughts.

Sinister & Dexter - building to a final climax I hope.

Strontium Dog - can't wait until next week when it is hoped that all may be revealed - or will it???

Darren Stephens

Yeh, top prog. Dredds conclusion was pretty good. The first panel had me thinking I'd missed an episode, though! Liked the very final panel. Very witty.
Savage is all action this week. Great stuff. Goddards art is magnifeek! The same goes for Sin/Dex and Red Seas..action all the way with the Williams and Yoewell droids upping their game at every turn. Stront continues, with Middenface arriving at the forest where johnny is supposedly buried. Some top alien designs from the Ezquerra duo this week. Am I the only one that doesn't bother with droid life? Half the time I dont even look at the nerve centre at all. Soz Tharg!  :-[
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Kehaar

Good eel overall bjut how fantastic was Savage -  :D - I'd love to death for that artist to be let rip on some classic Battle characters or a Rogue Trooper. Magnificent!
All the best, Kehaar

http://clarkythecruel.wordpress.com - mosaic novel, war-game & RPG material

http://alfiesantics....ress.com/about/ - RPG of Free Liverpool Secret Agents in a Very British Civil War

Dissecting worlds the social science in SF & Fantasy podcast @ www.geeksyndicate.co.uk

House of Usher

Cover: What's a 'card shark'? Is it a pun? (card sharp, meet gun shark). Reminds me of that episode of The IT Crowd which featured much mirth with putting something on a 'pedal stool' and a let-down being a 'damp squid.' Nil points.

Definitely spoilers ahead

I read the Prog in order of likedness, so turned to Strontium Dog first. It was very good. I wasn't disappointed.

Next: Savage. That was good too. Headline: sounds of machine-gun fire don't stand in the way of the Volgan army's lavatory break.

Judge Dredd: Three parts in, my curiosity about the new villain was entirely satisfied and all I wanted was for Dredd to shoot him, so I'm happy enough.

The Red Seas is getting better. The baddies weren't expecting the tables to be turned on them like that; too bad the good guys couldn't follow up their retaliatory salvo.

Sinister Dexter: Gunfire. Laser beams. Confusion. This is fun. I could see this as the climactic battle scene in a sci-fi action movie. Fire a gun and you get zapped but not instantly unless the dictates of drama demand it. I would love for this mayhem to go on for another three Progs, but I fear it will wrap up all too quickly.

Five good strips. 7/10.
STRIKE !!!

Darren Stephens

Quote from: House of Usher on 07 August, 2010, 03:28:32 PM
Next: Savage. That was good too. Headline: sounds of machine-gun fire don't stand in the way of the Volgan army's lavatory break.
Heh, what a way to go. The relief of finishing your wee, then...BLAM!  :lol:
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

House of Usher

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 07 August, 2010, 03:42:27 PM

"That's... quite a lot of noise out there. Sounds like gunfire. Oh shit: explosions too. Must be a major security situation. Maybe if I just stay in here long enough I can keep out of it. I'll have that wee I came in for while I'm here..."

:lol:
STRIKE !!!

Hoagy

I had hoped we were due, a Red Seas cover this week.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Trout

Strontium Dog was the highlight of the prog, but there was a bucketload of fun elsewhere. I can't fault it.

As Graham Neil Reid has pointed out on Facebook, it was indeed a dirty, dirty trick.

Shame on you, Middenface.

- Trout

Keef Monkey

Quote from: House of Usher on 07 August, 2010, 04:01:34 PM
Quote from: Darren Stephens on 07 August, 2010, 03:42:27 PM

"That's... quite a lot of noise out there. Sounds like gunfire. Oh shit: explosions too. Must be a major security situation. Maybe if I just stay in here long enough I can keep out of it. I'll have that wee I came in for while I'm here..."

:lol:

Which is exactly how I'd deal with the situation too.

Great prog, nice chunky action throughout. Wasn't too sure about that first panel of Dredd, it confused me for a moment admittedly, and I thought it might seem even stranger if collected.

Great episode though, and everything else was just as satisfying. Even Red Seas, which I've been finding more likeable than thrilling lately, had a good blammo moment.

Judge Olde

I, Cosh

Quote from: House of Usher on 07 August, 2010, 03:28:32 PM
What's a 'card shark'? Is it a pun? (card sharp, meet gun shark). Reminds me of that episode of The IT Crowd which featured much mirth with putting something on a 'pedal stool' and a let-down being a 'damp squid.'
I thought a card shark was somebody who took advantage of you at cards. Like a pool shark. Now you mention it, maybe that is a card sharp.

Either way, this was another decent Prog. An entertaining Dredd wrapped up nicely and didn't overstay its welcome. After last week's drama the return to Precious Matson's Travelogue was a bit of a comedown for SD while the other three were all exciting and shooty. The bit in the toilet just made me think of that classic sequence in Metal Gear Solid where you sneak into the bog and calmly shoot the guard in the back of the head while he's having a slash.
We never really die.

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 08 August, 2010, 10:55:12 PM
I always snapped his neck.
I just found something satisfying about the little red targeting dot sliding gently up his back as you take aim then waiting a second to see if he'd turn round.
We never really die.

James Stacey

typing Card Shark into google implies it is a term in fairly common usage :)

good prog all round. Savage reminded me more of classic N64 shooter Goldeneye, but maybe that's me showing my age.

What's the bet that when they find Johnny's box it's empty, roll Credits.