Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Ancient Otter

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 25 February, 2014, 08:22:54 PM
Hundreds of low cost satellites in Earth orbit means more rubbish for spacecraft to avoid!

Who needs a space programme when you've got free & immediate access to all those new apps?  ;)

Charles Stross hit the Fermi Paradox nail on the head in Accelarando.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

I liked it. Though it's probably not worth seeing if it's not going to be in 3D on a big screen; as it's all about the atmosphere rather than the realism or indeed scientific accuracy
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Think I'll give it a miss, then. I hate sci-fi that makes me tut-tut at it.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

I didn't mean to put you off - it was really, really enjoyable and only the second ever time I've watched the same movie twice within the same month.  (Guess what the other movie was...)  To be fair I would never have spotted any of the scientific inaccuracies till I read this interview.  http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2013/10/17/what-does-a-real-astronaut-think-of-gravity/

Also, according to this astronaut and to Chris Hadfield, watching the Gravity spacewalks on the big screen in 3d is the closest a normal person will get to doing a real spacewalk. 

EDIT - I can't really imagine it on the small screen though. 

The Legendary Shark

Hmm, I'll compromise then - if any of my friends get a copy, I'll borrow it :-D

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Damn I missed this - seeing the Northern Lights is on my "must do before I do" list. I must have a look out tonight  but from the inner city, not much hope of a good view.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26378027

The Legendary Shark

Oh cool - I'm driving through the wee smalls, I'll have a butcher's! (Fingers crossed! This is on my list too!)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Not looking good for tonight, but you never know.  I stayed awake (and sober, so I could drive away from the lights) till 2am last night, but the cloud cover never broke.  Bah!

The Doctor Alt 8

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 09 February, 2014, 11:23:28 AM
As there doesn't seem to be a 'Science is Drokking Creepy Because...' thread, I guess I'll just have to post this here:  Rentacyberghost...

Oh my god... The temptation to set this up and lie though your teeth.... ( you could get away with it to if your a sad & lonely bastard like me...)

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me