Main Menu

Friday chat - what's happening with you?

Started by Bolt-01, 30 August, 2019, 08:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

That's a grand time for a 10k. Well done.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tjm86

Little confused as to what this thread is supposed to be about .... what we are up to on a Friday night or what is going on in general and just chatting on a Friday night because we are all KOS's and too boring to do anything more interesting than sit at a computer sharing inanities.

Tiplodocus

I'm Just out going out for a run. Then making a curry. Looking forward to enjoying last rays of sun with a glass of wine.

Then I'm buying my Thought Bubble tickets.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Boring, us?  :lol:

Just me and Youngest Daughter this weekend, I foresee the Detective Pikachu movie and quite a lot of Lego building in my immediate future. Will try to bully her into a hike  if the wrather holds. Right now I'm lounging on a beach near work reading my prog, waiting for Friday traffic hell to subside before I head home. A better waste of time.

Colin YNWA

Mrs YNWA is away so I'm on kid taxi duty alone. I'll be sucking up the chlorine at swim club x3 alone. Running a 10k alone...

... this isn't what liberated weekends used to be about...

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 September, 2019, 05:35:32 PM
Boring, us?  :lol:

Just me and Youngest Daughter this weekend, I foresee the Detective Pikachu movie and quite a lot of Lego building in my immediate future. Will try to bully her into a hike  if the wrather holds. Right now I'm lounging on a beach near work reading my prog, waiting for Friday traffic hell to subside before I head home. A better waste of time.

You have a beach near work?  We just have protests. 

Not about us, I hasten to add.

Usually.

Funt Solo

At work (because: time zones), have stinking cold. Daughter (7) will arrive via bus and make her own way into the building today.

We've tried this new independence routine three times:

1st time: the bus driver didn't read the note and so dropped off my charge one hour late. I was panicking like a dad panicking and phoning everyone, and waiting on the pavement for her when she arrived.

2nd time: the bus driver dropped her off in time and I was waiting for her on the pavement. She told me to go back inside so she could be independent. (She did this by saying: "Are you kidding me?")

3rd time: that's later today. I must resist the urge to go outside and wait for her. She is entirely capable of walking from a bus to a building without the world ending. Now I've just got to convince myself that's true.

Big year for us.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Bolt-01

My thoughts on starting this were simply to share what folk were getting up to at the weekend. Simple, and part of the efforts on my part to increase the general activity on the board.

So...

After moving my youngest to Uni last weekend I'm going to be spending Saturday making comics (Deadline for Zarjaz & Something Wicked is looming) as well as taking Sunday to go out for the day with Mrs Bolt for a nice walk in the Derbyshire Dales along with our dogs before enjoying a pub meal.

So I'll be here swapping inanities for some time tomorrow but on Sunday not so much.

Dandontdare

Just back from my usual Friday evening after-work* pub visit, and I'll be over at my mum and dad's for Saturday evening and Sunday lunch - they're both 88 but as my dad gets more confused and uncommunicative, my mum gets more bored and lonely, so I'm trying to go more often (virtually all their social circle have died - my mum said recently that apart from the weekly shop and multiple doctors appointments, the only time they go out is for funerals, which happen very often for them now).

* frustrating week at work - we have so many interlinked IT systems, but for the last couple of days, one of the main ones has simply refused to log me in. I have a theory that nobody actually understands how computers work and that IT professionals spend most of their time just guessing - I've spent the last two days unable to take phone calls (I work in a call centre) and have had a stream of different people convinced they've fixed it, only to be baffled why it still doesn't work. In some ways, it's been cushy - I've just been working the mailboxes rather than taking calls, but frustrating all the same.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Mrs X is away to Manchester with her sister - they live at opposite ends of the country and have a weekend away once a year somewhere in the middle.

So, binge watching Preacher S3.
Lock up your spoons!

Funt Solo

Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 September, 2019, 09:50:17 PM
I have a theory that nobody actually understands how computers work and that IT professionals spend most of their time just guessing

I'm a computer programmer. To a large extent, you're entirely correct. In attempting to correct a flaw in a highly complex system in a reasonable amount of time (this second point is key in a commercial situation) one has to sometimes attempt something without having studied it in depth.

Then your lunar lander crashes.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dandontdare

Quote from: Funt Solo on 20 September, 2019, 10:23:12 PM
I have a theory that nobody actually understands how computers work and that IT professionals spend most of their time just guessing

I'm a computer programmer. To a large extent, you're entirely correct. In attempting to correct a flaw in a highly complex system in a reasonable amount of time (this second point is key in a commercial situation) one has to sometimes attempt something without having studied it in depth.

Then your lunar lander crashes.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable solar flare event that will wreak havok (the last one in 1859 took out the telegraph system*) that will cause absolute fucking chaos now that all our businesses and services are IT based.

wikipedia summary - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859
Rational NASA explanation - https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2008/06may_carringtonflare/
Weird US survivalist warning - https://www.survivopedia.com/how-the-upcoming-solar-storm-will-affect-the-u-s/

sheridan

* frustrating week at work - we have so many interlinked IT systems, but for the last couple of days, one of the main ones has simply refused to log me in. I have a theory that nobody actually understands how computers work and that IT professionals spend most of their time just guessing - I've spent the last two days unable to take phone calls (I work in a call centre) and have had a stream of different people convinced they've fixed it, only to be baffled why it still doesn't work. In some ways, it's been cushy - I've just been working the mailboxes rather than taking calls, but frustrating all the same.

I don't work in a call centre, though we do take a lot of calls.  We had something about a week ago where if you logged out for lunch you couldn't log back in to the phones again.  We got a lot of work done in the afternoon that day, what with not being bothered by calls every ten to fifteen minutes!

Proudhuff

Working today and clearing scrub from a Puffin Island tmw so the wee darlings can burrow their nests, its my first time doing this so totally out of my comfort zone.

DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]