Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wonder Woman 1984  (Read 3901 times)

Rara Avis

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder Woman 1984
« Reply #16 on: 16 January, 2021, 07:50:02 PM »

IAMTHESYSTEM

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 January, 2021, 12:21:50 PM »
At £15:99 I can give this a miss till it's available to rent. The reviews have not been kind, and it appears that the DC Films Universe still hasn't quite found the right story path for its stable of characters. Let's hope Wonder Woman soldiers on to better fare and the upcoming Batman movie re-energises the DC brand.
“You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension.”

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Rara Avis

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 January, 2021, 03:25:31 PM »
DC films are always flawed in the same ways - not enough focus on the plot and too much CGI. If they could reverse those trends they could make some good movies.

Rately

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 January, 2021, 10:42:00 PM »
I really enjoyed Winder Woman, the best of a not terribly good bunch of DC movies, but I’m dreading the watch now considering reviews I’ve read, and opinion on here.

The DC movies thus far have been dreadful, which is a shame, because with the characters and stories they have to mine, the movies they’ve come up with have completely missed the Mark with strange character choices, terrible CGI and scripting, and Zach Snyder treating Superman like some sub PS2 gritty hero/Avenger.

At this stage, they need a miracle to turn these movies around. I’m just perplexed as to why they didn’t just give James Gunn free reign on all the characters and scripting. At least his movies have heart and emotion.

Bad City Blue

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 January, 2021, 04:30:54 PM »
A fun film whilst I watched it, but actually thinking about it after, I realised all the terrible writing and horrendous plot really didn't work. Messy as hell, DC should be shamed that they held on to it for so long and didn't change it for the better.

Jim_Campbell

• 2000AD Creator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Letterer to the Stars! (and PJ)
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt Gallery
« Reply #24 on: 19 January, 2021, 04:33:52 PM »
The DC movies thus far have been dreadful

I thought Aquaman was as dumb as a box of rocks, but knew it and managed to be quite a lot of fun as a result. And Shazam was great.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Rately

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 January, 2021, 05:12:57 PM »
The DC movies thus far have been dreadful

I thought Aquaman was as dumb as a box of rocks, but knew it and managed to be quite a lot of fun as a result. And Shazam was great.

I can't agree with Aquaman, though I think Jason Mamoa was great casting, but Shazam is just bloody brilliant. Great casting, a lovely, emotional script that hits the mark and some great comedy.

Had completely forgotten about it, and must add that to the list for a re-watch.

Hawkmumbler

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkmonger.deviantart.com/
« Reply #26 on: 19 January, 2021, 10:25:09 PM »
Yeah Shazam! is consistently excellent, even gets in a proper ye oldie PG-13 'Is this for kids?' sequence.

repoman

• Sentient Tea Bot
  • Plate 'o shrimp
    • View Profile
    • The Judge Death Files
« Reply #27 on: 13 March, 2021, 04:51:47 PM »
Shazam works by not feeling like a DC movie and instead just feels like a Kick Ass type of thing.

There isn't a DC movie yet that wouldn't benefit by being an hour shorter at least.

I thought WW84 was just terrible.  It's amazing just how bad the writing was and I still don't really buy into Gadot. 

Better than Aquaman though.

von Boom

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 March, 2021, 06:55:44 PM »
Better than Aquaman though.
Faint praise indeed.

Mardroid

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 March, 2021, 01:01:54 PM »
I didn't mind Aquaman. I.e. I enjoyed it well enough but there's lots better and I'm not in a rush to watch it again.

So, since I seem to have a lower enjoyment threshold than a lot of other people, I'd imagine I'll like Wonderwoman 1984 ( or whatever it's called).

I remember when I knew it was being streamed on Amazon, I did looked forward to watching it... then saw the rental price.

I didn't expect it to be the same price as regular rental since this is a cinema release alternative but, that's actually more than I pay at the cinema!

Depending on the cinema of course. Since prices are more, others less. And I guess I'm paying for it to be sent to me too rather than having to travel, but then there isn't the cinema experience either, so it's all swings and roundabouts. Bit then I think,  I could buy the film for around that price in less than a year's time!

Anyway, putting it off for now.

Oddly I am very much looking forward to the director's cut off Justice League this month although I liked the Whedon version. (Another film everyone else seems to dislike.) I don't think I'll be able to put that one off, although I'm still uncertain at four hours it won't drag. I'm just... so.... curious... (Yes I remember the one about the cat.)