Main Menu

Edgar Wright to helm Stephen King's The Running Man.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 19 February, 2021, 09:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Buttonman

Interesting. Good book that loses its way in the final third with a few improbable character choices.

Best of 'The Bachman Books' was 'The Long Walk' which has seemingly been optioned by Frank Darabont.

von Boom

The Running Man was the only Bachman book I read and one of the few King novels in all. Buttonman has the right of it. Starts out strong only to meandre to the finish.

sintec

Quote from: von Boom on 20 February, 2021, 12:49:36 AM
Starts out strong only to meandre to the finish.

Pretty standard for King. Man has some great ideas but often seems to fluff the endings imo.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Buttonman on 19 February, 2021, 11:48:05 PM
Interesting. Good book that loses its way in the final third with a few improbable character choices.

Best of 'The Bachman Books' was 'The Long Walk' which has seemingly been optioned by Frank Darabont.

I read The Long Walk recently, for the first time since I was about 12.  It holds up pretty well, and actually has a decent ending.  Also, I remembered all the participants being adult men, given that I was only a kid at the time, but found that they were all about 16, which makes it all the more horrible.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Wright is one of my "I'll watch anything he's involved with" folk. Doesn't get it perfect every time, but it always tickles me at least enough to justify the watch.

King is exactly the same for me, but in book form.

So I'm looking forward to this.

The Enigmatic Dr X

The Long Walk sticks in my memory, decades after I read it.
Lock up your spoons!

Barrington Boots

I hope that, despite being a more truthful and considered adaptation of the book, this still has the line "Here is Subzero, now... plain zero" in it.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Tiplodocus

I never understood the love for Arnie's RUNNING MAN movie. The show host is great (now since dated) but everything else in it seemed cheap and badly stuck together.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 25 February, 2021, 11:34:12 AM
I never understood the love for Arnie's RUNNING MAN movie. The show host is great (now since dated) but everything else in it seemed cheap and badly stuck together.

That's the reason to love it right there. Objectively it's a bad film, with rubbish sets, some really rubbish acting and a weak plot to boot but it all combines into a glorious mess.

As a teenager I loved it: Arnie battling gimmicked supervillains on a gameshow, some mild Robocop-esque satire and a vague plot about revolution thrown in - ace! It's the sort of thing that could have conceivably appeared in the Prog. My brothers and I used to invent our own stalkers and run RPGs using them.

Watching as an adult it's obvious flaws don't impact the sheer craziness of it.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

pictsy

It's the Gladiatorial aspect of the film I like.  The same reason I like a lot of stories that have distinctive enemies taken down one by one.  Plus it's got entry-level social commentary and is somewhat Cyberpunk.  Throw in that cheesy 80's action and it's a recipe for enjoyment.

Wouldn't mind seeing Wright tackle the source material.  Never read the book, never read anything by King.  I like Wright's movies by and large (Baby Driver failed to strike a chord with me, but that may have something to do with the fact I saw it after Spacey's molestations came to light).

milstar

Well, I may be biased in favor of Arnie's film, since it's one of favorite pop-corn movies ever. Never read any Stephen King book, obviously including The Running Man. But 1987's film is such a perfect teenboy ride. Memorable one-liners, Arnie in Hawaiian T-shirt, music score, memorable enemies with unforgettable chainsaw scene and the action is frenetic. Ofcourse, let's not forget the host. Oh and that social prophetic aspect of the film that when it got madem it was definitely a SF thing. Now, it just makes you think.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Modern Panther

For years I've wanted a RunningMan remake with Arnold as the media-baiting ,Trump-esque gameshow host, happily murdering people for ratings.  "Who loves you, and who do you love!"

dweezil2

Looks like we'll be waiting a while for Wright's Strontium Dog film then!!! :'( :'( :'(
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

repoman

I quite liked the book of The Running Man (was always more of a Long Walk fan though) so I'm into this.  Edgar Wright is decent generally.