Main Menu

Star Trek: Enterprise

Started by McGurk76, 23 March, 2021, 05:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGurk76

It's twenty years (nearly) since this started. Was initially just called 'Enterprise,' of course.
Thinking of giving it a go. What do people think? (am not concerned about spoilers myself).
Did it work as a prequel?
Another question - which prequels to anything do you think have worked best?

McGurk76

Do any prequels to anything ever truly work, do you think?

broodblik

If you are a fan of Star Trek you will enjoy it. The first season is a bit slow but more to the case that it takes time to get into the new characters. Overall I enjoyed it.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

zombemybabynow

Season 2 & 3 are fantastic; time travel, revenge etc

Just skip the theme at the beginning (it's not terrible but will be on your brain for weeks!)

"It's been a long time....."
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

The Legendary Shark

Enterprise is still my favourite of all the Treks.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I initially dismissed this show, mostly because of the godawful theme tune. However, given how far the franchise has fallen recently I gave it another shot. As Broodblik says, if you like Stat Trek, you will enjoy this. It never reaches the heights of The Next Generation or DS9, but I suppose it was never really given the time to. Also it seems to be going for a slightly more corny/kitschy vibe like the original series. Basically I would say as Star Trek shows go its at about Voyager's standard but with less charisma and likable and characters. If you can't get along with NuTrek, then this offers some alternative if you haven't seen it before.

That STD has really lowered the bar.
You may quote me on that.

wedgeski

On the whole, it's bloody awful, a C-grade episode of TNG or Voyager exploded into an entire series. All that said, they took some risks in series 3 and it paid off, with some really great episodes and a surprisingly enjoyable arc. I'd wikipedia the first two seasons, watch all of 3, and personally I'd forget that 4 ever existed if it wasn't for the episodes with a certain Andorian antagonist.

The Legendary Shark

For me, Enterprise comes the closest to portraying the spirit of Star Trek.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

There was a running joke in Trek fandom that after DS9, every new Star Trek show was the worst Star Trek show yet*, but STD really tested that theory to destruction.  And then Star Trek: Picard somehow set the bar even lower.

The third season of Enterprise is a hoot (even though the limitations of the cast are never more apparent), and season four is a bit of a mixed bag, but it finally manages to thread the needle between fan-wankery and faster-paced stories meant to draw in new viewers - though sadly, both those and die-hard Trek fans had already written the show off because of the dreadful first two seasons, which promised much but were ultimately just a Star Trek greatest hits compilation album you bought from a pound shop that turned out to be a bunch of synth instrumental covers when you got home and put it on.
But fair play to Enterprise for at least being the last Star Trek show with an actual theme tune and title sequence, rather than just some leftover instrumental music from the show cobbled together over some random gifs.

*  For many years, Brannon Braga was the whipping boy for fans, but retrospective examinations of the show's behind-the-scenes dramas seem to lay the blame more at the feet of producer Rick Berman, who may or may not have had issues with The Gays™, women, and non-white cast members.

Tjm86

Quote from: Mister Pops on 23 March, 2021, 09:16:39 AM

EVERY time I see this I have to remind myself of what it is referring to, not the result of a an unprotected encounter ...

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tjm86 on 23 March, 2021, 02:05:14 PM

EVERY time I see this I have to remind myself of what it is referring to, not the result of a an unprotected encounter ...
At Farpoint?
We never really die.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Tjm86 on 23 March, 2021, 02:05:14 PM

The producers are painfully aware of this, and have struggled for years to make "Disco" the abbreviation used among fandom.  Fandom is... uncooperative.

Leigh S

The few bits of Enterprise I have seen confuse me byb having more aliens on board than Original series, and basically being just similar in format - you'd imagine the interest in showing our first steps into space would be in the exploration side of things?  That the tech is significantly less advanced and our encounters with other races quite limited? 

Tiplodocus

I agree with Bear. Season 3 and 4 are great. And I like the theme.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

rogue69

For me it's not the best, it tried too hard to be the start of the whole Star Trek universe but got better when it found it's own way.

If you want to try it with out committing to a whole series the Horror channel along side the original series and Battlestar Galactica