Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jodie Whittaker to leave Doctor Who.  (Read 1613 times)

Jim_Campbell

• 2000AD Creator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Letterer to the Stars! (and PJ)
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt Gallery
Re: Jodie Whittaker to leave Doctor Who.
« Reply #60 on: 04 August, 2021, 02:37:07 PM »
Capaldi is my favourite of the new Doctors

Possibly mine, too. I liked the spiky, somewhat alien Doctor of his first series, but loathed the Cool Dad/Uncle iteration in his second, and really enjoyed the professorial turn in his third, with the Doc/Bill/Nardole dynamic working surprisingly well.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkmonger.deviantart.com/
« Reply #61 on: 04 August, 2021, 02:43:55 PM »
I liked P.Caps finale speech, but then 2017 had in general been an all time low for me so maybe I just really responded to one of my favourite living actors effectively telling a future him that everything will be alright and change, no matter how painful or unwelcome, is always good.

Tjm86

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 04 August, 2021, 02:47:58 PM »
... that's a lot of scripts to go into without a plan.

You have been paying attention to the competence of the present government, haven't you?   :o

IndigoPrime

• Administrator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.craiggrannell.com
« Reply #63 on: 04 August, 2021, 02:51:33 PM »
FWIW, I personally liked Capaldi a lot, bar the middle bit Jim noted. His aloof, alien first series was interesting, and his last was the best of Moffat’s run. On merchandising, I have no insider knowledge, but have heard from multiple parties that things went very wrong during that area, and it was in part due to kids not being thrilled about toys of an old bloke. That said, the BBC’s inability to get the show out for a run every year doesn’t help—and, frankly, baffles me.

Even shorter series would work. Eight episodes and a festive special, like clockwork, would be fine if the individual episodes were all bloody good. Keep them standalone and focused and thread a light arc through them. Perhaps two-part the finale.

I liked P.Caps finale speech, but then 2017 had in general been an all time low for me so maybe I just really responded to one of my favourite living actors effectively telling a future him that everything will be alright and change, no matter how painful or unwelcome, is always good.
For what it’s worth, I wasn’t against the general sentiment of the speech, just that it went on far, far too long.

Jim_Campbell

• 2000AD Creator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt Gallery
« Reply #64 on: 04 August, 2021, 06:39:37 PM »
On merchandising, I have no insider knowledge, but have heard from multiple parties that things went very wrong.

TBH, you only have to look at the radical contraction in the Dr Who comics being published during the Capaldi era to see this in action. It’s said because, again, I liked Capaldi a lot, but there you go…

Jim_Campbell

• 2000AD Creator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt Gallery
« Reply #65 on: 04 August, 2021, 06:48:17 PM »
It’s said SAD because, again, I liked Capaldi a lot, but there you go…

Gah. Too slow to edit the typo.