Main Menu

Monster Fun

Started by pauljholden, 20 September, 2021, 12:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Lucky Stevie!

Trev is back with Kid Kong! One of my favourite strips from the Cor!! & Buster specials. YES

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

O Lucky Stevie!

Just noticed Lizzie Boyle is back on Gums too!

Brett Parsons on Creature Teacher. Oh my!!!
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

It'll be interesting to see what makes the cut for the 32-pager. My kid's wish list would be, roughly in order: Sweeny Toddler (which, IIRC, hasn't been mentioned but must surely be a cert?), Gums, and "something by Lew Stringer", who is one of a handful of creators she knows and really likes. (Jamie Smart and Jess Bradley would be two others I imagine she'd love to see more of.)

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 September, 2021, 09:33:08 AM
It'll be interesting to see what makes the cut for the 32-pager. My kid's wish list would be, roughly in order: Sweeny Toddler (which, IIRC, hasn't been mentioned but must surely be a cert?), Gums, and "something by Lew Stringer", who is one of a handful of creators she knows and really likes. (Jamie Smart and Jess Bradley would be two others I imagine she'd love to see more of.)

Just take Stevie's goddamn money!!!

On another note, congrats are in order for Len O'Grady  on getting the opportunity to prove that there is more to this bot than just colouring.

Also, would that be two former 2009ad scriptbots whom Kek-W & Lew Stringer are taking a poke at there in Wiz War?

Dandontdare

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 28 September, 2021, 06:13:11 AM
Just noticed Lizzie Boyle is back on Gums too!

Last time I saw Lizzie & Conor, I greeted them with "Hey, it's the creator of the greatest shark story in recent years ... and her husband"*

*If you didn't know, Conor drew the fantastic Hookjaw reboot a few years ago

M.I.K.

Re: Hell's Angel...

There was a Marvel UK character with the same name in the '90s that got into some slight legal bother due to a certain biker group not being happy with the use of the name.

Quote from: WikipediaDark Angel (Shevaun Haldane), originally Hell's Angel, is a fictional superheroine from the Marvel Comics imprint Marvel UK. She first appeared in Hell's Angel #1 (July 1992). The character and the comic book were both renamed to Dark Angel with issue #6 due to legal threats from the Hells Angels biker club. Their lawsuit was settled by Marvel agreeing to pay $35,000.00 as a charitable gift to Ronald McDonald House in the name of both Marvel and the Hell's Angels, in addition to renaming the character.

Thought I'd better point that out, (assuming nobody else has), just in case.

The Corinthian

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 28 September, 2021, 02:46:22 PMAlso, would that be two former 2009ad scriptbots whom Kek-W & Lew Stringer are taking a poke at there in Wiz War?

Wiz War's been around since 1968 so it's probably just a coincidence.

Bad City Blue

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

IndigoPrime

My local WHSmith faced the comic with the teen stuff too. Odd—and not ideal.

Barrington Boots

Good review BCB although it's different strokes for different folks as I enjoyed Wizwar and Jump Junior but found Evil Eye and Gums both fell flat. That's the beauty of a comic like this though, there's so much in it.

Disappointing to hear it's being stocked at Smiths alongside 2000ad instead of with the regular comics: I'd have thought that'd be hurting it, distribution wise.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Bad City Blue

Yes, it's always subjective and I applaud that effort and the fact Rebellion are giving this a go.

In my Smiths it was by the 2000ADs and computer mags. I made them move them to the Beano/Phoenix area where they belong.

The placement is set by head office, so it'll be the same everywhere
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Dash Decent

QuoteEvery issue, young readers will laugh out loud all new adventures from familiar faces such as Sweeny Toddler, Frankie Stein, The Leopard from Lime Street, and Draculass, while new stories like Tokoloshe, Hell's Angel and Scare Salon will quickly become firm favourites thanks to breakout talents like Juni Ba (Monkey Meat), Robin Etherington (one half of the Etherington Brothers (How to Think When You Draw, the world's most successful crowd-funded art and writing tutorial series), Matt Baxter (The Phoenix), and kids' comics legends like Tom Paterson (The Beano).

Sweeny and the Leopard from Lime Street?  Brilliant!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 20 September, 2021, 03:39:14 PM
As a parent of a youngling, these lines are interesting:

"awesome free subscriber gifts the kids will love"

Given the point about plastic tat in the press release I got, I would hope the free gifts would be meaningful and relatively eco-friendly and also not tat. My kid has so much _stuff_. She doesn't really need more.

I think the first free gift is a PJ Holden or a Lew Stringer:

Quote from: pauljholden on 21 September, 2021, 01:53:07 PM
He's definitely in the halloween spooktacular (as am I, I think)

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

pauljholden

Yes, I'm knackered from running from house to house of everyone who bought one. I should read my contracts more carefully.