Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

BLUE MURDER

BOOK ONE: NEW BLUE.

Book One, Part One: Shades of Blue.

by Sharky

++++

PAGE ONE (6F)(NO TITLES).

PAGE ONE, FRAME ONE: A shadowed figure descends on a rope into a long, dark, silent shaft deep in the earth. The only illumination comes from his torch. His outline looks a bit like Rogue Trooper with extra gear – but it's not him, we're just teasing the reader a bit. This is Eldrion Karassus, the Indiana Jones of geneticists – you can reveal that it's not Rogue whenever and however you like – or maybe not use the idea at all! (The name of the narrator is Vane, who is not present here.)

CAP (VANE):                        "WAY I HEARD IT, THERE WERE LOTS OF OLD DEFENCE SYSTEMS..."

++++

PAGE ONE, FRAME TWO: Karassus has reached the bottom without incident and unhitches the rope. He's in an ancient, 1,500 year old Genetic Infantry lab which has been extensively damaged and eroded over the years by earthquakes, floods and animals – some of the ancient machinery has even been enveloped in stalagmites and stalactites. There is no power and none of these machines or computers will ever work again – except one. The only undamaged thing is the Gestation Pod unit, which was designed to last this long and even longer. There's no need to reveal all this at once, of course.

CAP (VANE):                        "...YOU KNOW – LASERS, TASERS, MASERS, GRAZERS... EVEN MISSILES, SOMEBODY SAID."

++++

PAGE ONE, FRAME THREE: Karassus explores the ancient facility.

CAP (VANE):                        "WISH I'D BEEN THERE, THOUGH – RIGHT FROM THE START, YOU KNOW?"

++++

PAGE ONE, FRAME FOUR: Nothing works. Everything's dead. Ruined. Decayed.

CAP (VANE):                        "I WOULD'VE BRAVED ANY NUMBER OF DEFENCES FOR THAT PRIVILEGE."

++++

PAGE ONE, FRAME FIVE: The only intact thing is the Gestation Pod, in which Abel, Baker and Charlie will develop from single cells to full maturity as soon as the pod is activated. One of the pod's sub-systems has activated.

CAP (VANE):                        "SHOWS YOU HOW IMPORTANT THEY ARE, THOUGH – TO BE DEFENDED SO VIGOROUSLY."

POD COMPUTER (JAG):                CONTACT DETECTED. SCANNING FOR ACTIVATION CODE. NOT FOUND. SCANNING FOR SECONDARY CODE. NOT FOUND.

++++

PAGE ONE, FRAME SIX: Karassus touches the pod's control panel, activating it merely at his touch.

CAP (VANE):                        "THAT'S WHY WE'VE GOT TO DEFEND THEM NOW."

POD COMPUTER (JAG, JOIN):            SYNCHRONISATION COMPLETE. INTERFACING WITH TACTICAL ALGORITHMS. COMPLETE.

KARASSUS (IF THERE'S ROOM):            WHAT THE...

POD COMPUTER (JAG):                INITIATING CODE ONE GESTATION SEQUENCE.

++++
++++

PAGE TWO (6F).

PAGE TWO, FRAME ONE: Later on, outside. A battered old truck, driven by Karassus and with his assistant, Dr Barla, in the passenger seat and the Gestation pod in the back under a tarpaulin, bounces along a dusty, lonely desert highway. (Maybe there can be some clues that this is Nu-Earth fifteen hundred years after the war ended by having distant mountains with craters blown out of them or hills formed around huge, rotting old tanks and stuff? The Wormhole has shrunk considerably over the centuries and is now no more than a small black dot in the sky – no bigger than a large crow in flight.)

CAP (VANE):                        "PROFESSOR KARASSUS HAD BEEN CORRECT. HE FOUND A POD – HE SAID IT WAS THE POD."

++++

PAGE TWO, FRAME TWO: From a high place, a  Xentrikka Sentinel espies the truck, which is small in the distance. The Sentinel is a kind of alien police unit, whose primary duty is to prevent any unauthorized travel to or from the planet. After that, it pretty much isn't concerned what anyone does. I see it as a kind of cross between one of the soldier bugs from 'Starship Troopers' and a Terminator – but more bug than robot. Incredibly fast, incredibly resilient and incredibly lethal.

CAP (VANE):                        "MAYBE THE BLUE PRIESTS WERE RIGHT,    AFTER ALL."

++++

PAGE TWO, FRAME THREE: The Sentinel rushes towards the truck at incredible speed. Karassus is more annoyed than concerned. Dr Barla is worried – but then, Dr Barla is always worried.

CAP (VANE):                        "MAYBE THE GOD OF WAR DID SEND THEM TO FREE US."

++++

PAGE TWO, FRAME FOUR: The Sentinel has ordered the vehicle to a stop and Karassus has complied. Nothing else moves in the desert silence.

CAP (VANE):                        "I DON'T CLAIM TO KNOW."

++++

PAGE TWO, FRAME FIVE: Karassus shows the Sentinel his travel authorization papers. The Sentinel scans them minutely, maybe with a light-beam or something.

CAP (VANE):                        "ALL I DO KNOW IS THAT, RIGHT NOW, THEY MAYBE CAN FREE US."

++++

PAGE TWO, FRAME SIX: Satisfied, the Sentinel returns towards its vantage point at incredible speed, leaving the truck free to continue bouncing along its lonely way.

CAP (VANE):                        "BUT NOBODY WILL LISTEN TO ME, KILLY - THEY ALL THINK I'M MAD."

++++
++++

PAGE THREE (6F).

PAGE THREE, FRAME ONE: We are inside the 'Mind-Space' – the virtual reality into which the developing minds of the three gestating Genetic Infantry clones have been 'plugged' in order to train them. Although still physically embryos, their military training begins from the moment their consciousnesses are activated. At the moment it's just a featureless black place – all shadows within shadows and nothing but the computer's voice to perceive.

COMPUTER VOICE:                    INITIAL CONSCIOUSNESS LEVELS ACHIEVED. DOWNLOADING LINGUISTIC AND COGNITIVE DATABASES.

++++

PAGE THREE, FRAME TWO: A hologram begins to form in the gloom, the only source of light or interest in the whole, infinite place.

COMPUTER VOICE:                    DONE.

COMPUTER VOICE:                    INITIATING DRILL SERGEANT.

++++

PAGE THREE, FRAME THREE: The hologram resolves into the Drill Sergeant, who will train the clones from Day One to be the perfect soldiers – the clones will  literally be 'born ready'. The Sergeant himself is the Paragon of military instructors – he 'knows' everything about war and was constructed using the scanned brain patterns of thousands of combat veterans of all ranks as well as a fair few tacticians, military engineers and all manner of other people involved in a typical, or atypical, war. Maybe he's like the sergeant from 'Full Metal Jacket' but in G.I. form? He is taking a moment to inspect his appearance – a soldier has to be smart!

COMPUTER VOICE:                    DRILL SERGEANT RUNNING.

SERGEANT:                        HMN.

++++

PAGE THREE, FRAME FOUR: The Drill Sergeant stands stiffly at ease in an entirely proper military stance.

COMPUTER VOICE:                    TRAINING WILL NOW COMMENCE.

SERGEANT:                        SOLDIERS – FOR SOLDIERS YOU ARE; THERE ARE NO CADETS HERE – WELCOME TO FORT MINDSPACE.

++++

PAGE THREE, FRAME FIVE: The Sergeant manifests a big gun (or something more militarily impressive) out of thin air to demonstrate his words.

SERGEANT:                        IN THIS PLACE, I WILL TRAIN YOU TO MILITARY PERFECTION. IN THIS PLACE, I CAN MAKE ANYTHING REAL.

SERGEANT (JOIN):                IN THIS PLACE, YOU WILL SUFFER, YOU WILL BE TESTED TO YOUR LIMITS AND YOU WILL LEARN.

++++

PAGE THREE, FRAME SIX: The Drill Sergeant, unarmed now, holds up a hard, scarred fist as he begins lesson one.

SERGEANT:                        YOU WILL BE BORN WITH THE EXPERIENCE AND REFLEXES OF TWENTY YEAR COMBAT VETERANS. I WILL SEE TO THAT.

SERGEANT:                        MODULE ONE; SUB-UNIT ONE – BASIC SELF-AWARENESS OF THE COMBAT SOLDIER.

SERGEANT (JOIN):                THIS... IS CALLED A FIST...

++++
++++

PAGE FOUR (6F).

PAGE FOUR, FRAME ONE: In the spacious but basic gene-farm of the Fiyyaland Bluerays Gladiatorial Club, where gladiators are grown in tanks (most don't reach maturity – it's a hit-and-miss affair these days, more art than science). Karassus and Dr Barla have just finished unloading the Gestation Pod from the back of the truck and lowered it to the floor. It is still largely covered by a tarpaulin so we can't see the G.I.s  developing inside. Karassus is trying to convince the Gladiatorial Club's owner, Alvin Honey, that he hasn't just wasted a lot of money. Alvin isn't convinced.

HONEY:                        WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN, KARASSUS? IT'S THE LAST CIRCUS OF THE SEASON NEXT WEEK AND WE'RE JUST...

KARASSUS (CUTS HONEY OFF):    TWO POINTS SHY OF MAKING THE MATCH OFFS, I KNOW, ALVIN – HOW COULD I NOT KNOW?

KARASSUS (JOIN):            I'M YOUR CHIEF GENE-WEAVER, AND I TOLD YOU THAT THIS NEW PROCESS ISN'T WORKING. IT CAN'T WORK, ALVIN    –  I TOLD YOU...

++++

PAGE FOUR, FRAME TWO: Alvin is angry at Karassus – Dr Barla is trying to make herself unobtrusive.

ALVIN:                        DAMN IT, ELDIRION, YOU WENT AND DID IT, DIDN'T YOU? AFTER I SPECIFICALLY FORBADE IT!

KARASSUS:                    IT WAS THE ONLY WAY! AFTER YOU LISTENED TO THAT IDIOT CRANWELL...

++++

PAGE FOUR, FRAME THREE: Alvin is now beyond anger – he's moved on to economics, and the economics of the situation are suddenly looking very grim indeed. Karassus is motioning for the reluctant Dr Barla to help him remove the tarpaulin from the Gestation Pod.

ALVIN:                        BY THE BLUE... YOU DON'T EVEN DENY IT! TELL ME YOU DIDN'T SPEND ALL THOSE CALORIES?

KARASSUS:                    NOT ALL, NO – ABOUT 85%, MAYBE... DR BARLA – A HAND, PLEASE?

ALVIN (JOIN):                OVER TWO MILLION CALORIES – THAT'S IT, THE CLUB'S RUINED! THAT'S ALL THERE WAS TO SEE US THROUGH THE OFF SEASON!

++++

PAGE FOUR, FRAME FOUR: Dr Barla and Karassus remove the tarpaulin. We can't see inside yet but Alvin can – and is suddenly captivated.

KARASSUS:                    ALVIN, LOOK AT THEM. JUST LOOK.

ALVIN:                        I DON'T WANT TO LOOK! WHAT GOOD ARE A HANDFUL OF CELLS TO US NOW? WE NEED...

ALVIN (JOIN):                ...WE NEED...

ALVIN:                        ...FORNICATING HADES...

++++

PAGE FOUR, FRAME FIVE: Karassus points out features to Alvin that we can't see. Alvin has detected a fairly large glimmer of hope.

KARASSUS:                    JUST TWO DAYS AGO THEY WERE NOTHING MORE THAN A HANDFUL OF CELLS. NOW LOOK AT THEM!

ALVIN:                        THEY... THEY LOOK LIKE...

KARASSUS (JOIN):            THAT'S BECAUSE THEY ARE, ALVIN! WHAT DID I TELL YOU? LOOK AT THEIR SKIN, FOR A MESSIAH'S SAKE!

++++

PAGE FOUR, FRAME SIX: Alvin is suddenly disturbed by what he's seeing (which we still can't see).

ALVIN:                        WHY ARE THEY... QUIVERING LIKE THAT?

KARASSUS:                    I'M NOT SURE – BUT I THINK IT'S SOME KIND OF TRAINING, SIMILAR TO OUR OLD IMPRINTING TAPES.

KARASSUS (JOIN):            AND THE WAY THEY'RE DEVELOPING, THEY'LL BE HATCHED IN TWO, MAYBE THREE DAYS AS FULLY FUNCTIONAL WARRIORS.

++++
++++

PAGE FIVE (6F).

PAGE FIVE, FRAME ONE: Back in Mindspace. The Sergeant is standing in deep space, in the debris field left behind by a huge, destroyed space-battleship.

SERGEANT:                EXCELLENT. YOU KNOW KNOW SEVENTEEN METHODS OF DESTROYING A KRAKEN-CLASS HYPERSTARDESTROYER.

SERGEANT (JOIN):        COMBAT EXPERIENCE MODULE THREE AND ALL SUB-UNITS COMPLETED SATISFACTORILY.

SERGEANT:                MOVING ON.

++++

PAGE FIVE, FRAME TWO: The Sergeant stands at ease in front of three virtual Bio-Chips (as tall as the Sergeant in the Mindspace and lettered A, B and C).

SERGEANT:                YOU ARE READY, TROOPERS.

SERGEANT:                WHAT ARE YOU?

++++

PAGE FIVE, FRAME THREE: The imaginary Bio-Chips stand proudly to attention. The Sergeant is proud.

ALL BIO-CHIPS:            SIR SOLDIERS SIR!

SERGEANT:                EXCELLENT!

++++

PAGE FIVE, FRAME FOUR: The Sergeant begins his final address.

SERGEANT:                AS YOU KNOW, YOU WERE DESIGNED TO BE DROPPED AND MATURED BEHIND ENEMY LINES BUT THE TRUTH IS I CAN'T TELL YOU WHO THE ENEMY IS.

SERGEANT:                ALL MILITARY FREQUENCIES ARE DEAD AND THE ONLY COMMS APPEAR TO BE DEDICATED ALMOST ENTIRELY TO ENTERTAINMENT.

++++

PAGE FIVE, FRAME FIVE: The Sergeant begins to fade away as the pod computer shuts down the hologram and the Mindspace.

SERGEANT:                YOU HAVE DETAILED KNOWLEDGE OF WHO THE ENEMY MIGHT BE AND THE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING TO DEFEAT THEM.

SERGEANT:                I HAVE PREPARED YOU AS WELL AS ANY SOLDIER CAN POSSIBLY BE PREPARED.

SERGEANT (JOIN):        THE REST IS UP TO YOU.

++++

PAGE FIVE, FRAME SIX: The Sergeant fades to almost nothing. The Mindspace begins to dissipate like a black mist.

POD COMPUTER:            TRAINING COMPLETE. DEACTIVATING DRILL SERGEANT.

SERGEANT (FADING):        GIVE 'EM HELL, TROOPERS!

POD COMPUTER:            MATURATION CYCLE COMPLETE. INITIATING BIRTHING SEQUENCE.

++++
++++

PAGE SIX (1F, TITLES.).

PAGE SIX, FRAME ONE: The Three Genetic Infantry clones stand ready, 'hatched' and fully matured. Unconcerned. Cool. Completely naked and not the least bit bothered by it (I don't see them as having genitals, having been designed to not need them – they're like Action Man dolls in that regard). It is maybe two days since Karassus and Alvin last spoke and they are both present for the 'birth' – standing momentarily stunned. (Abel is the leader, most like the original Rogue Trooper. Baker is the shock-trooper, the biggest and toughest. Charlie is like Venus Bluegenes, the engineer and medic (she has a pouch in her stomach where she can grow replacement organs and such for herself and the others). All three are next-gen G.I.s, with heightened abilities - including the ability to change their skin pigmentation into virtually any pattern from tiger stripes to leopard spots to pulsating octopus patterns - but only in various shades of blue.)

ABEL:                    ORDERS, SIR?

STRAP:                    NEXT: TELLY SHALL HAVE US.

++++
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Blue Murder

Book One, Part Two: Blue Screen.

by Sharky

++++

PAGE ONE (6F)(TITLES).

PAGE ONE, FRAME ONE: A global TV rolling news channel (N-CGBC NEWS 28) – sports report. Alvin Honey is being interviewed by famous sporting presenter Jethro Theball. Alvin is an accomplished media performer. (This whole episode is seen through 'T.V.')

JETHRO:                    ...WITH US IS ALVIN HONEY, OWNER OF THE FIYYALAND BLUERAYS, WHO ARE ONLY TWO POINTS AWAY FROM MAKING THE SUPERCIRCUSLEAGUE MATCH-OFFS.

ALVIN:                    HELLO, JETH. ARE YOU WELL?

JETHRO:                    I AM, ALVIN – THANK YOU. NERVOUS?

++++

PAGE ONE, FRAME TWO: Alvin easily makes light of the question.

ALVIN:                    NOT AT ALL, JETH, I THINK THE 'RAYS ARE IN GREAT SHAPE.

JETHRO:                    THAT MAY BE SO, BUT THE TRUTH IS THAT AN ARENA FROM NEWARTH-COMZON HASN'T FEATURED IN THE MATCH-OFFS FOR OVER FORTY YEARS. THERE'S A WHOLE PLANET WATCHING YOU.

ALVIN (JOIN):            THE WHOLE PLANET WATCHES US EVERY WEEK IN THE SUPERCIRCUSLEAGUE – MEDIA FOCUS IS NOTHING NEW TO US, JETH.

++++

PAGE ONE, FRAME THREE: Jethro wants to provoke a reaction but Alvin's too shrewd to fall for it.

JETHRO:                    OH COME ON – IF THE HAKAKKAKKAN HARRIKS HADN'T BEEN DISQUALIFIED ON A TECHNICALITY THE BLUERAYS WOULDN'T EVEN BE IN THIS POSITION – IT'S A FLUKE...

ALVIN:                    LOOK, IT IS WHAT IT IS. THE HARRIKS HAD ONE TOO MANY GLADIATORS ON THE FIELD IN THE MORNING SESSION – THE REFEREE DID WHAT HAD TO BE DONE.

JETHRO (JOIN):        EVEN SO, YOUR RECENT FORM – AND THIS IS A REFLECTION OF FEELING THROUGHOUT THE CIRCUS MEDIA – SIMPLY DOESN'T JUSTIFY THE TEN POINTS YOU WERE AWARDED BY THE COMMISSION.

++++

PAGE ONE, FRAME FOUR: Alvin projects confidence – even the cynical Jethro is on the road to being halfway convinced.

ALVIN:                    AGAIN, IT IS WHAT IT IS.

ALVIN (SHORT JOIN):        LOOK, JETH, I WON'T BULLOCK-PAT YOU HERE, OKAY? I KNOW THE 'RAYS HAVE OUR CRITICS -    HADES, SOME OF 'EM MIGHT EVEN BE RIGHT – BUT I BELIEVE WE'VE GOT A GOOD CHANCE TOMORROW.

++++

PAGE ONE, FRAME FIVE: Jethro will take a lot more convincing than just Alvin's loyalty to his own team.

JETHRO:                    SERIOUSLY? HAVE YOU EVEN GOT ANY GLADIATORS LEFT AFTER LAST WEEK?

ALVIN:                    THE DRIGGERS TOOK THEIR TOLL, GRANTED, AND CAME AWAY WITH THE POINTS – THEY'RE A QUALITY OUTFIT, WE ALL KNOW THAT.

ALVIN (JOIN):            THE TRUTH IS THAT WE'RE READY FOR THE VAXXONS TOMORROW. OUR STAR GLADIATOR, VANE, IS BACK TO COMBAT-FITNESS AND WE'VE GOT A WHOLE NEW BATCH HATCHED OUT AND READY TO FIGHT.

++++

PAGE ONE, FRAME SIX: Alvin doesn't let Jethro get the last word.

JETHRO:                    WELL, THANK YOU, ALVIN – ALVIN HONEY THERE, THE OPTIMISTIC OWNER OF THE FIYYALAND BLUERAYS. NOW OVER TO...

ALVIN (CUTS JETHRO OFF):        I HAVE THREE IN PARTICULAR THAT YOUR VIEWERS WILL FIND AMAZING – TRUST ME, I'VE SEEN THEM IN TRAINING...

ALVIN (SHORT JOIN):            ...AND I PROMISE YOU, COME WHAT MAY, THE 'RAYS ARE GONNA' GIVE THOSE VAXXONS BLUE MURDER!

++++
++++

PAGE TWO (6F).

PAGE TWO, FRAME ONE: The last moments of an advertisement. The channel is N-CGBC SPORT 28 – SUB-CHANNEL ONE.

ADVERT:                    ...FOR LESS THAN FOUR THOUSAND CALORIES EXCLUDING TAXES!

ADVERT:                    BLIP-FAX BERNIE'S NOW FOR A FREE QUOTATION!

++++

PAGE TWO, FRAME TWO: Advert concluded, a sports show commences with a 'Sky Sports' type introduction to the gladiatorial SUPERCIRCUSLEAGUE SHOW – all action highlights and excitement.

TV:                        AND NOW ON THE N-CGBC SPORTS NET, THE SUPERCIRCUSLEAGUE SHOW WITH MICK PHLEGHMMING AND TEDDY VEGAS.

TV (STIRRING SONG):        (MUSICAL) IN THE BLOOD AND THE PAIN OF THE ARENA BORN DUM-DA-DUMM-DA-DUM-DUM-DUMM... (/MUSICAL)

++++

PAGE TWO, FRAME THREE: Ted, the main anchor, and Mike, a quite old and much knocked-about ex-gladiator, introduce the show.

TV (STIRRING SONG, FADING TO NOTHING):     (MUSICAL) THE WAR GODS FORGED INTO HUMAN FORM DUM-DA-DUMM-DA-DUM-DUM-DUMM... (/MUSICAL)

TED:                    HELLO AND WELCOME TO TODAY'S SUPERCIRCUS – IN JUST TWENTY SHORT MINUTES THE SUN WILL RISE AND THE GAMES WILL BEGIN...

++++

PAGE TWO, FRAME FOUR: Recorded footage of an earlier Circus showing a gladiator fighting for the Vaxious Vaxxons (a team from the same planet as the Bluerays and their opposition for today) – their champion, Gargathaka – inflicting some serious carnage on another 'team' of gladiators (fighting for the Sinderbar Spikons).

TED (OFF, JOIN):            FOR THE FIRST TIME IN FORTY THREE YEARS A CLUB FROM THIS PLANET HAS THE CHANCE TO FINISH HIGH ENOUGH IN THE LEAGUE TABLE TO QUALIFY FOR THE OFF-WORLD PHASE.

TED (JOIN):                    BUT CAN THEY OVERCOME RECENT LOSSES AND CONTROVERSY TO BEAT THE VAXIOUS VAXXONS AND THEIR STAR GLADIATOR, GARGATAHKA?

++++

PAGE TWO, FRAME FIVE: More recorded footage, this time showing the Fiyyaland Bluerays' star gladiator, Vane, being badly injured by another gladiator from Sinderbar Spikons in a different arena.

TED (JOIN):                    WHILE GARGATAHKA GROWS FROM STRENGTH TO STRENGTH FOR THE VAXXONS, THE 'RAYS STAR PERFORMER – VANE – WAS BADLY INJURED IN THAT HORRENDOUS LOSS TWO WEEKS AGO...

TED (JOIN):                    VISCEREX, THE BLUERAYS' HEAD COACH, HAS SAID ONLY THAT VANE WILL BE BACK FOR TODAY'S CIRCUS BUT REMAINED TIGHT-LIPPED ABOUT HIS FITNESS.

++++

PAGE TWO, FRAME SIX: Back to the studio and Ted asks a sour Mike the question.

TED:                    GIVEN THE POINTS SITUATION, EVEN IF VAXIOUS WIN TODAY THEY SIMPLY CAN'T QUALIFY FOR THE MATCH-OFFS. FIYYALAND NEED AN OUTRIGHT WIN TO SNEAK IN BY A SINGLE POINT.

TED (JOIN):                JOINING ME AS EVER IS MIKE PHLEGHMMING - SO, FLEMMO, CAN THE 'RAYS DO IT?

MIKE:                    I CAN'T SEE IT, TEDDY – THEY'VE GOT TOO MANY DEAD AND INJURED AND TOO FEW EXPERIENCED SUBSTITUTES.

++++
++++

PAGE THREE (6F).

PAGE THREE, FRAME ONE: The schedule for the following Circus is displayed on the screen, arranged as you see fit and not overly important so don't worry that some of it will be obscured by speech bubbles. 'NEWARTH-COMZON PLANETARY SUPERCIRCUSLEAGUE – ROUND XXVI – FIYYALAND BLUERAYS V VAXIOUS VAXXONS – VENUE: HELM PARK, FIYYALAND CITY. ITINERARY: MORNING SESSION - DAWN – HOME EXECUTIONS. DAWN +2 – AWAY EXECUTIONS. DAWN +4 – LAST CHANCE (HOME). DAWN +5 LAST CHANCE (AWAY).

MIKE (OFF):             I REALLY DON'T THINK THEY'VE GOT THE FIRE-POWER TO BEAT THE VAXXONS, WHICH IS A SHAME, I THINK.

TED (OFF):                INDEED, FLEMMO – I THINK OF THE WYGRYM WAKIANS, THE SAINTS OR EVEN THE SHUDDERFIELD GINORMOBODS AND SEE     ARENAS WITH A MUCH BETTER CHANCE THAN FIYYALAND.

++++

PAGE THREE, FRAME TWO: The next page of the schedule. ITINERARY – NOON SESSION – NOON – NOSH PIT. NOON +1 – CLOWNS. NOON +3 – BEASTS. NOON +5 – CLOWNS V. BEASTS.

MIKE (JOIN):                    YES, SAINT HELLFIRES IN PARTICULAR, I THINK.

TED (JOIN):                        WHAT DO YOU MAKE OF THESE RUMOURS SURROUNDING FIYYALAND'S APPARENT PERFECTION OF A NEW CLONING TECHNIQUE?

++++

PAGE THREE, FRAME THREE: The next page of the schedule. ITINERARY – SUNSET SESSION – SUNSET -4 – SURVIVOR. SUNSET -3 – SKIRMISH. SUNSET -2 – BATTLE. SUNSET -1 – WAR. SUNSET – LAST BLOOD.

MIKE (JOIN):                    PRE-CIRCUS PSYCHOLOGY, I THINK. THEY'VE GOT NOTHING.

TED (JOIN):                        MAYBE – BUT THEIR CHIEF GENE-WEAVER IS DR ELDIRION KARASSUS, THE MAN WHO GREW SPINE-BACK, DROTH AND KLOSSAZ...

++++

PAGE THREE, FRAME FOUR: Back to the studio.

MIKE:                            YES – TEN YEARS AGO FOR THE SAINTS, WHO HAVE ONE OF THE MOST ADVANCED GENE FARMS ON THE PLANET.

TED:                            THE 'RAYS' FACILITIES AREN'T UP TO IT?

MIKE (JOIN):                    NO. MAYBE FIFTY OR SIXTY YEARS AGO AND MAYBE KARASSUS CAN GET THEM BACK ON TRACK FOR THE FUTURE – BUT FOR TODAY? NO – NO I DON'T THINK THEY'RE UP TO IT.

++++

PAGE THREE, FRAME FIVE: The screen cuts to Bob 'Slick' Oils, a popular and still quite young and handsome circus-survivor who now commentates. He is stood on the sidelines of the Fiyyaland Bluerays' home arena (HELM PARK) giving his opinion.

TED (JOIN?):                    FLEMMO WRITING-OFF FIYYALAND, THEN. LET'S GO DOWN TO BOB OILS, WHO'S IN HIS USUAL ARENA-SIDE POSITION...

TED (SHORT JOIN):                ...SO, SLICK, MIKE THINKS THE 'RAYS HAVE NO CHANCE – ANYTHING TO ADD TO THAT ANALYSIS?

OILS:                            MORNING, TEDDY. YOU KNOW – I DON'T KNOW. MY HEAD AGREES WITH FLEMMO - ON PAPER THE VAXXONS ARE JUST TOO STRONG FOR FIYYALAND...

++++

PAGE THREE, FRAME SIX: Oils thinks there's the outside possibility of an upset here today – and the prospect is exciting him.

OILS:                            ...BUT... THERE'S A BUZZ AROUND THE BLUERAYS' CAMP, A CONFIDENCE I HAVEN'T FELT AT THIS ARENA IN A LONG TIME.

OILS (JOIN):                    THEY'VE GOT SOMETHING UP THEIR SLEEVE, TEDDY, I'M CERTAIN OF IT. THE QUESTION IS, CAN IT CAUSE PROBLEMS FOR THE VAXXONS?

TED (JOIN):                        INTRIGUING. THANKS, SLICK – WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK AFTER THIS BREAK...

++++
++++

PAGE FOUR (6F).

PAGE FOUR, FRAME ONE: All the frames on this page are blank 'T.V.' screens with stark lettering.

LETTERING:                        BENEFICIARIES OF THE XENTRIKKA – PAY ATTENTION.

++++

PAGE FOUR, FRAME TWO: The same.

LETTERING:                        THIS AUTHORIZED SPORTING EVENT IS BEING ALLOWED TO YOU ALL FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT ONLY.

++++

PAGE FOUR, FRAME THREE: The same.

LETTERING:                        THE XENTRIKKA ABHORS VIOLENCE BUT YOU DO NOT.

++++

PAGE FOUR, FRAME FOUR: The same.

LETTERING:                        BENEVOLENT XENTRIKKA RESPECTS YOUR NEED FOR VIOLENCE.

++++

PAGE FOUR, FRAME FIVE: The same.

LETTERING:                        STAY STRONG. STAY LOYAL. STAY PUT.

++++

PAGE FOUR, FRAME SIX: The same.

LETTERING:                        THE BROADCAST MAY NOW CONTINUE.

++++
++++

PAGE FIVE (6F).

PAGE FIVE, FRAME ONE: Dawn. The capacity crowd of fans is expectant. Ted and Mike provide the commentary in voice-over.

TED:                            THAT'S IT, FLEMMO, DAWN ON THE LAST PLANETARY CIRCUS OF THE SEASON...

TED (JOIN):                        ...WILL WE HAVE DRAMA? WILL WE SEE HISTORY MADE HERE TODAY?

MIKE:                            I'D BE THE FIRST ONE OUT OF MY SEAT IF THEY COULD, TEDDY. SORRY TO SAY IT BUT I THINK THIS LAST CIRCUS WILL BE A VAXIOUS ROUT.

++++

PAGE FIVE, FRAME TWO: The Referee blows his whistle to start the Circus. The crowd cheers.

TED:                            THE REFEREE TODAY IS MR LARRY BRINK FROM THE PLANET QUOBRON AND HIS TOUCH JUDGES ARE JEDDA COBE, MAX PHLANK, JOE BLACKSIDE AND SURPRISE DEBUTANT AJAX MULDOON.

TED (JOIN):                        THE VIDEO REFEREE IS MARTIN GUNG, THE SCORER IS MAYOR ORLANIA GRAVITO FROM URTURRIA MINOR-B AND SINGER LYDIA MORBUNDIA IS TODAY'S GUEST ARBITER.

++++

PAGE FIVE, FRAME THREE: In the first action of the day, a group of thirty convicted murderers and rapists, in Fiyyaland Bluerays colours, are thrust into the arena from many of its widely spaced doorways. They are all well armed and widely scattered – to give them a chance and prolong the spectacle. The crowd, especially the home supporters, are sniffing something special from this match.

TED:                            AND HERE COME THE HOME PRISONERS -     SENTENCED TO DEATH IN THE ARENA FOR THEIR CRIMES IN AND AROUND     FIYYALAND...

MIKE:                            LISTEN TO THAT CROWD, TEDDY! SO MUCH NOISE SO EARLY ON! ESPECIALLY FROM THE HOME FANS!

TED (JOIN):                        IT IS QUITE A NOISE, FLEMMO – MAYBE THEY DO HAVE SOMETHING...

++++

PAGE FIVE, FRAME FOUR: Three trained but first-time gladiators, fighting for the Vaxious Vaxxons, emerge from the voluminous VISITORS' dug-out to take on the prisoners. Some of the prisoners actually want to be there, some just want to survive it and a few are just plain terrified.

TED:                            THE THREE VAXIOUS DÉBUTANTES TODAY ARE LISTED AS BOOTFACE-3, CRIPPLER-9 AND RAZORMOUTH-2... ALL HOME GROWN AT THE VAXIOUS VALE ARENA.

MIKE:                            THEY LOOK TOUGH ALL RIGHT – AND BILLY KOUR, THE VAXXONS' WEAVER, IS STICKING TO GROWING WHAT WORKS.

TED (JOIN):                        VERY TRUE, FLEMMO, MY MIND GOES BACK TO CRIPPLER-7!

++++

PAGE FIVE, FRAME FIVE: The fighting begins. The prisoners do have a chance and, at least at first, the advantage of numbers. The cowards and the terrified die first. The braver ones wait for their chance to attack either in packs or singly, honourably or disreputably.

MIKE:                            AND THE PROTOTYPE RAZORMOUTH! IF KOUR'S GOT THE FORMULA RIGHT AGAIN, THIS COULD BE A LONG DAY AT THE OFFICE FOR THE FIYYALANDERS!

TED:                            THEY'RE MAKING QUICK WORK OF THE COWARDS AND THE TERRIFIED...

TED (JOIN):                        ...BUT FIYYALAND'S A TOUGH CITY AND THIS EXECUTION ISN'T OVER YET...

++++

PAGE FIVE, FRAME SIX: Later. Only six prisoners remain – battered, bruised, bleeding and tired but still defiant – standing together against the three Vaxious gladiators, who are also battered, bruised, bleeding and tired only less so. A momentary lull before the final attack. It has been a thrilling encounter thus far.

TED:                            ...DONE WELL, FLEMMO?

MIKE:                            VERY WELL, TEDDY. ONLY SIX CAN SURVIVE - SO IF THE FIYYALANDERS CAN TAKE OUT JUST ONE VAXXON IT'LL GIVE THEM A BIG ADVANTAGE IN THE NEXT ROUNDS.

TED (JOIN):                        OR THEY COULD TURN ON EACH OTHER...

++++
++++

PAGE SIX (6F).

PAGE SIX, FRAME ONE: Later. DAWN +2: AWAY EXECUTIONS. Once more, armed convicts are deposited into the arena, this time wearing Vaxious Vaxxons' colours. The bodies and bits of bodies from the last 'round' have been cleared away but the bloodstains remain.

TED:                            AND WELCOME BACK. IF YOU'RE JUST JOINING US, YOU'VE MISSED A THRILLING FIRST ACT – RIGHT, FLEMMO?

MIKE:                            EXTRAORDINARY, TEDDY! THE FIYYALAND CONVICTS MANAGED TO KILL TWO OF THE VAXXONS' GLADIATORS!

TED (JOIN):                        IT LEAVES THE VAXIOUS CONVICTS WITH A LOT TO DO, MICHAEL.

++++

PAGE SIX, FRAME TWO: Abel, Baker and Charlie are ushered into the Arena to execute the Visitors' convicts.

TED:                            THE FIYYALAND BLUERAYS' DÉBUTANTE GLADIATORS ARE LISTED AS ABEL, BAKER AND CHARLIE – A NEW STRAIN YET TO BE NAMED...

MIKE (SMALL):                    SWEET BABY PROPHET OF CHOICE...

TED (JOIN):                        WHAT'S UP WITH YOU NOW, FLEMMO? HONESTLY – YOU ALWAYS FIND SOMETHING TO...

++++

PAGE SIX, FRAME THREE: A close-up of Abel, Baker and Charlie – just their faces, or mainly their faces. They are all cool and calm.

TED (JOIN?):                    ...COMPLAIN...

TED (JOIN):                        . . .

++++

PAGE SIX, FRAME FOUR: The crowd is stunned.

++++
++++

PAGE SIX, FRAME FIVE: Abel, Baker and Charlie throw down their swords and shields. The convicts sense their chance. The referee is momentarily confused.

TED:                            IT MUST BE... IT MUST BE A MISTAKE, FLEMMO – THEY'VE SENT THE NEW CLOWNS ON INSTEAD OF... HANG ON... HANG ON!

MIKE:                            THEY'VE THROWN DOWN THEIR WEAPONS!

TED (JOIN):                        I'M NOT SURE IF I KNOW THE RULES AS WELL AS I THOUGHT, FLEMMO, BUT THAT MEANS – I THINK THAT MEANS...

++++

PAGE SIX, FRAME SIX: The Referee awards a penalty against Fiyyaland. The home crowd are incensed. Our three G.I.s don't care.

MIKE:                            IT DOES, TEDWARDO – IT MEANS JUST THAT...

MIKE (JOIN):                    PENALTY TO THE VAXXONS!

TED:                            THE HOME TEAM WILL HAVE TO CONTINUE UNARMED OR FORFEIT THE MATCH! THE CIRCUS – I TELL YOU; IT'S A FUNNY OLD GAME!

STRAP:                NEXT: THREE SINNERS, THREE WRONGS.

++++
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Blue Murder

Book One, Part Three: Blue Brothers.

by Sharky

++++

PAGE ONE (6F)(TITLES).

PAGE ONE, FRAME ONE: Alvin is incensed – nose to nose with the Referee in the Arena, which is again strewn with the corpses of dead Vaxious convicts – although six remain alive, as do the three G.I.s.

ALVIN:                        YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!

REFEREE:                    STEP AWAY, MR HONEY. THE RULES ARE QUITE CLEAR.

REFEREE (JOIN):                ALTHOUGH YOUR GLADIATORS DID FIGHT, THEY DID SO ENTIRELY DEFENSIVELY AND PERFORMED NO EXECUTIONS.

++++

PAGE ONE, FRAME TWO: The Referee is reaching for his back pocket – Alvin can only protest. The three G.I.s stand passively by.

REFEREE:                    DESPITE THE FACT THAT THE VAXXONS WERE ALSO UNABLE TO KILL YOUR GLADIATORS AND ENDED UP HAVING TO EXECUTE EACH OTHER...

REFEREE (JOIN):                ...THE CONDUCT OF YOUR TEAM WAS NOT IN KEEPING WITH THE SPIRIT OF THE CIRCUS.

ALVIN:                        OH COME ON!

++++

PAGE ONE, FRAME THREE: The Referee holds up a yellow card, sending Able, Baker and Charlie off the Arena sands. Alvin manages to hold his anger in check.

REFEREE:                    I'M AWARDING THE MAXIMUM POINTS FOR THIS ROUND TO VAXIOUS AND THESE THREE ARE IN THE SIN BIN UNTIL THE SUNSET SESSION.

REFEREE (JOIN):                ALL SIX VAXIOUS CONVICTS WILL GO THROUGH TO THE NOSH PIT.

ALVIN:                        DAMN THAT KARASSUS – I'LL KILL HIM MYSELF FOR THIS!

++++

PAGE ONE, FRAME FOUR: In the HOME (Fiyyaland Bluerays) dugout. A lull between events as the crowd gets a short break and the next gladiators get ready to take to the Arena. (The next round is the DAWN +4 – LAST CHANCE (HOME) round – which is basically a free-for-all for anyone who wants to join in. Those who take part in Last Chance are generally desperate – sub-standard or defective gladiators with one last chance to prove themselves, old or sick gladiators wanting to go out in a blaze of glory, civilians in it for the money and even the odd mercenary or suicide.) As the Home Team goes first, preparations are under way in the in the Fiyyaland Bluerays' dugout as Alvin harangues Karassus and  Viscerex, the Bluerays' head coach (she oversees the training all the gladiators) – her arm is in a sling.

ALVIN:                        YOU'VE RUINED US, KARASSUS! WE SHOULD HAVE HIT THE NOSH PIT WITH AN 8-4 ADVANTAGE!

VISCEREX:                    IT'S ONLY DOWN TO 5-7, MR HONEY – THAT'S STILL PRETTY GOOD.

++++

PAGE ONE, FRAME FIVE: Alvin is beyond annoyed.

ALVIN:                        PRETTY GOOD? PRETTY GOOD?!

ALVIN (SHORT JOIN):            AND HOW ABOUT THE SCOREBOARD, YOU DUMMY? WE'RE BEHIND 31 TO 5 AND THE PEANUT SELLERS AREN'T EVEN HERE YET!

TANNOY (JAG):                THE HOME TEAM 'LAST CHANCE' ROUND WILL COMMENCE IN FIVE MINUTES. THANK YOU.

++++

PAGE ONE, FRAME SIX: Alvin notices the generally poor quality of his 'Last Chance' gladiators. Viscerex and Karassus are sheepish.

ALVIN:                        AND WHAT THE HADES IS THIS? WHERE ARE THOSE LAST BATCH OF CLUBFISTS? THOSE MEEKERS SHOULDN'T BE HERE – THEY'RE FODDER FOR THE 'SKIRMISH' ROUND!

ALVIN (JOIN):                DID YOU EVEN READ TODAY'S PLAY-SHEET?

KARASSUS:                    WELL, CHIEF, THE THING IS... WELL...

++++
++++

PAGE TWO (6F).

PAGE TWO, FRAME ONE: Able, Baker and Charlie sit placidly in a segregated area of the HOME dugout, in the 'Sin Bin', watched over by a referee with a battleaxe.

CAP (KARASSUS):                ...THE TRIPLETS... THEY KIND OF CAME UP WITH A BETTER PLAY-SHEET.

CAP (ALVIN):                OH – PLEASE BE SERIOUS – PLEASE TELL ME YOU DIDN'T LET THOSE... HATCHLINGS RUIN OUR CHANCES...

++++

PAGE TWO, FRAME TWO: Able turns to Baker.

ABLE:                        YOUR REACTION TIMES WERE ON THE LOW SIDE OF ADEQUATE, BAKER.

BAKER:                        I SAW NO NEED TO OPERATE AT FULL CAPACITY AGAINST SUCH UNSKILLED OPPOSITION.

BAKER (JOIN):                FURTHERMORE, OUR NON-LETHAL MANDATE DICTATED STOPPING SHORT AT...

++++

PAGE TWO, FRAME THREE: Charlie, trying to listen to the distant argument between an irate Alvin and his rebellious Chief Trainer and Chief Gene-Weaver, shushes her companions impatiently.

CHARLIE:                    KNOCK IT OFF, YOU GUYS – I'M TRYING TO LISTEN...

CHARLIE:                    KARASSUS IS TRYING TO EXPLAIN OUR PLAN TO HONEY. VISCEREX IS SUPPORTING HIM.

++++

PAGE TWO, FRAME FOUR: Able gives his opinion.

ABLE:                        THERE IS A 68% CHANCE THAT ALVIN HONEY WILL DISREGARD THEM.

ABLE:                        HE IS A POOR TACTICIAN AND A WORSE STRATEGIST.

++++

PAGE TWO, FRAME FIVE: Baker chimes in. Charlie's getting really annoyed with all this chatter now...

BAKER:                        PERHAPS – ALTHOUGH HE DID ALLOW KARASSUS TO FIELD US AT ONLY THREE DAYS OF 'AGE'.

BAKER (JOIN):                WHETHER THROUGH IGNORANCE OR CUNNING IS IMMATERIAL – AS THE SARGE USED TO SAY, 'HALF OF EVERY GOOD CAMPAIGN IS DUMB LUCK.'

BAKER:                        IF YOU ASK ME...

++++

PAGE TWO, FRAME SIX: Charlie clamps her hand over Baker's mouth without looking at him. Baker does not react other than by shutting up as requested.

CHARLIE:                    BAKER... I SWEAR I'LL CUT YOUR VOCAL CHORDS WHILE YOU SLEEP IF YOU DON'T SHUT UP.

BAKER:                        HMPH.

CHARLIE:                    I THINK ALVIN'S STARTING TO GO FOR IT – KARASSUS HAS CONVINCED HIM TO SPEAK TO US.

++++
++++

PAGE THREE (6F).

PAGE THREE, FRAME ONE: The crowd watches the Home Last Chance Round. They eat snacks, make notes in programs, drink beer and hot soup, sing chants, wear the colours of their Arena. Just the action of the crowd watching the action in the Arena – action we can't see.

CAP (ALVIN):                VERY WELL – JUST WHAT IN HADES ARE YOU FORNICATING THREE UP TO?

CAP (ABLE):                    WE INTEND FOR THE FIYYALAND BLUERAYS TO EMERGE VICTORIOUS.

++++

PAGE THREE, FRAME TWO: The visiting Vaxxons have a lot to happily jeer at – the Fiyyaland showing in this round is atrocious.

CAP (ALVIN):                OH REALLY? IN WHICH UNIVERSE? TAKE A LOOK OUT THERE – OUR LAST CHANCERS ARE MORE LIKE LAST GASPERS! IT'S EMBARRASSING!

CAP (ABLE):                    IT'S STRATEGY. THE ENEMY MUST PERCEIVE US AS WEAK, DISORGANISED AND DESPERATE.

++++

PAGE THREE, FRAME THREE: The home Bluerays fans are finding little to cheer about – having just spotted that Vane is leading the Last Chancers.

CAP (ALVIN):                BUT WE ARE WEAK, DISORGANISED AND DESPERATE, YOU FOOLISH BLUE LADYPART! WE NEED TO WIN THE EARLY ROUNDS TO STAND HALF A CHANCE!

CAP (ABLE):                    INCORRECT. BATTLES LOST ARE EQUALLY AS IMPORTANT AS BATTLES WON.

++++

PAGE THREE, FRAME FOUR: Dyed-in-the-wool Vane fans have their hearts in their mouths – seeing their team's champion appearing so soon – and in the Last Chance round – has convinced them that all is lost.

CAP (ABLE):                    CRUCIAL ALSO IS THE NATURE, OR PERCEIVED NATURE, OF THE LOSS. OBSERVE THE LEADER.

CAP (ALVIN):                OH DEITY OF CHOICE... PLEASE TELL ME THAT'S NOT... TELL ME IT'S ONE OF THE COPIES...

++++

PAGE THREE, FRAME FIVE: Outside the Arena in the massive car park. A very few people are about – the homeless in search of anything vaguely edible or valuable, local birds and other wildlife with much the same idea, maybe a couple of security guards too bored to chase anyone off. A small knot of fans of both teams who were unlucky enough to be locked out or arrived without tickets, watch the action on a big screen – Vane being ruthless and efficient. A Xentrikka Sentinel is approaching on a random patrol.

CAP (ABLE):                IT IS VANE, THE FIYYALAND BLUERAYS' CURRENT CHAMPION.

CAP (ALVIN):            THAT'S IT. I'M GOING TO HAVE ALL THREE OF YOU EUTHANISED.

++++

PAGE THREE, FRAME SIX: The Sentinel pauses on the car park to look at the big screen – Vane is being incredibly heroic but nobody sees it. They're all nervously watching the Sentinel.

CAP (ABLE):                THERE IS A 92% PROBABILITY THAT AN INDIVIDUAL OF VANE'S ABILITY WILL PREVAIL IN THIS ROUND AND AN 88%  LIKELIHOOD OF SURVIVING THE NOSH PIT.

CAP (ABLE):                MY PROJECTIONS INDICATE THAT VANE WILL PROVIDE THE FOUNDATION FOR VICTORY IN TODAY'S CAMPAIGN.

++++
++++

PAGE FOUR (1F).

PAGE FOUR, FRAME ONE: Vane, heroic, fights against his fellow Last Chancers – giving them honourable deaths. It's easy for a gladiator of his ability – but this isn't the round for him to show off.

CAP (VANE):                "I DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS THEIR IDEA, NOT AT THE TIME. VISCEREX TALKED ME INTO IT.

CAP (VANE):                "SHE SAID THAT ONCE THE ENEMY SAW ME ON THE SAND SO EARLY IN THE DAY THEY'D FIGURE THE 'RAYS WERE FINISHED.

CAP (VANE):                "THE VAXXONS WOULD SMELL BLOOD AND TRY TO HUMILIATE US – MAKE RASH DECISIONS LATER IN THE DAY.

CAP (VANE):                "IT SOUNDED GOOD BUT STILL – I DIDN'T ENJOY IT MUCH.

CAP (VANE):                "IT WAS TOO EASY.

CAP (VANE):                "JUST AS THEY KNEW IT WOULD BE."

++++
++++

PAGE FIVE (5F).

PAGE FIVE, FRAME ONE: It is the turn of the Vaxxons' Last Chancers – who put on a much better, much more dynamic show.

CAP (VANE):                        "THE VAXXONS' LAST CHANCERS PUT ON A MUCH BETTER SHOW."

++++

PAGE FIVE, FRAME TWO: The Last Chancers fight one another vehemently, savagely and – above all – entertainingly.

CAP (VANE):                        "SOME OF THE INDIVIDUAL BATTLES WERE ALMOST POETIC."

++++

PAGE FIVE, FRAME THREE: The crowd love it.

CAP (VANE):                        "THE FANS LAPPED IT UP."

++++

PAGE FIVE, FRAME FOUR: Vane watches the fighting from the HOME dugout, lost in thought and admiration.

CAP (VANE):                        "I THINK THAT'S HOW THE TRIPLETS SEE THINGS, ANYWAY. THE POETRY OF VIOLENCE – THE STARK BEAUTY OF BRUTALITY."

++++

PAGE FIVE, FRAME FIVE: Vane has turned to look at the three G.I.s sitting in the Sin Bin. They are all watching him.

CAP (VANE):                        "AFTER THE MORNING I THOUGHT THEY WERE JUST DEFECTIVES – IF THEY HADN'T BEEN SIN-BINNED THEY'D BE IN WITH THE REST OF THE LAST CHANCERS.

CAP (VANE):                        "AND THE WAY THEY LOOKED – LIKE A SICK JOKE. THE BROTHERS OF THE BLUE WOULDN'T LIKE IT - I REMEMBER THINKING THAT QUITE CLEARLY."

++++
++++

PAGE SIX (4F).

PAGE SIX, FRAME ONE: In the Arena stand the morning's survivors from both sides, wounds tended, re-armed and re-armoured for the first Noon event – the Nosh Pit. Vane is amongst them. The Vaxxons' team has a third more members and of a largely better quality.

CAP (VANE):                        "I HADN'T BEEN ANYWHERE NEAR THE NOSH PIT IN YEARS.

CAP (VANE):                        "I WAS AFRAID, KILLY – JUST A LITTLE."

++++

PAGE SIX, FRAME TWO: The floor of the Arena retracts or otherwise disappears at speed, leaving the gladiators to fall into the Nosh Pit – a pit full of lethal carnivorous plants.

CAP (VANE):                        "NOT AFRAID THAT I'D DIE – WE ALL DIE.

CAP (VANE):                        "AFRAID THAT I WOULDN'T REMEMBER HOW TO DO IT – THAT I'D LOOK A FOOL. LET THE TEAM DOWN."

++++

PAGE SIX, FRAME THREE: Vane leads his team mates against the opposing gladiators and the carnivorous plants. Vane is by far the best of them but almost equalled by several of the Vaxxons, who fare the best overall.

CAP (VANE):                        "SOME OF THOSE VAXXONS WERE GOOD. THE 'RAYS; NOT SO MUCH.

CAP (VANE):                        "RULES OF THE NOSH PIT ARE SIMPLE: LAST TEAM OUT WINS."

++++

PAGE SIX, FRAME FOUR: Able, Baker and Charlie watch from the Sin Bin, their expressions unreadable.

CAP (VANE):                        "I DIDN'T THINK THERE WAS MUCH CHANCE FOR MOST OF MY TEAM. NEITHER DID THE CROWD.

CAP (VANE):                        "THE TRIPLETS JUST SAT QUIETLY AND WATCHED WITH THOSE DEAD-WHITE EYES OF THEIRS, TAKING IT ALL IN.

CAP (VANE):                        "AND, SOMEHOW – AND DON'T ASK ME HOW BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW – I KNEW THAT DAY WOULD BE A BLUERAYS DAY."

STRAP:                NEXT: HEAVEN AND NEWARTH.

++++
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Blue Murder

Book One, Part Four: Blue Murder.

by Sharky

++++

PAGE ONE (5F)(TITLES).

PAGE ONE, FRAME ONE: The second of the Sunset session events, the Skirmish, has just concluded and the Bluerays have lost again. Fewer Bluerays than Vaxxons have survived. Vane has survived, if somewhat winded, as has the arrogant Vaxxons champion, Gargathaka, who seems not to have broken a sweat.

CAP (VANE):                        "WE LOST FIRST TWO EVENTS OF THE SUNSET SESSION AS WELL.

CAP (VANE):                        "SURVIVOR AND THE SKIRMISH. I USED TO BE GOOD AT THE SKIRMISH. IT WAS MY THING. WE LOST IT BY FORTY POINTS."

++++

PAGE ONE, FRAME TWO: Alvin has his head in his hands.

CAP (VANE):                        "SURVIVOR WAS JUST A ROUT.

CAP (VANE):                        "VIEWERS WERE TUNING OUT ALL OVER THE GALAXY."

++++

PAGE ONE, FRAME THREE: A pile of rocks and sand has appeared in the middle of the Arena with the Bluerays' flag on top. Twenty five Bluerays must defend their flag against an attacking force of a hundred Vaxxons. Vane leads the Bluerays and Gargathaka leads the Vaxxons but at the moment it's the pause before the event as the gladiators are picked and assembled. Karassus is speaking to a disconsolate Alvin.

CAP (VANE):                        "MATHEMATICALLY, IT WAS STILL POSSIBLE FOR THE 'RAYS TO WIN – BUT WE'D HAVE TO ACE THE LAST THREE EVENTS.

CAP (VANE):                        "STARTING WITH THE BATTLE. BECAUSE THEY WON THE SKIRMISH, THE VAXXONS GOT TO CHOOSE THE BATTLE."

++++

PAGE ONE, FRAME FOUR: Karassus and Viscerex both direct Alvin's attention to the still patiently Sin Binned clones.

CAP (VANE):                        "MR HONEY ALLOWED THEM TO FIGHT, IN THE END. I THINK HE JUST WANTED TO SEE THEM DEAD.

CAP (VANE):                        "MOST OF THE TEAM – AND JUST ABOUT ALL OF THE FANS DID AS WELL. NOT TO MENTION THE BROTHERHOOD."

++++

PAGE ONE, FRAME FIVE: Able, Baker and Charlie take up position with the rest of the Fiyyaland gladiators defending the artificial hill. They do not bunch together but spread themselves equally amongst the other defenders. Vane is in command. The Vaxxons are massed at the foot of the hill, awaiting the Referee's whistle.

CAP (VANE):                        "AS FOR ME – I DIDN'T REALLY CARE WHETHER THEY DIED OR NOT.

CAP (VANE):                        "I JUST WANTED TO SEE THEM FIGHT."

++++
++++

PAGE TWO (1F).

PAGE TWO, FRAME ONE: Montage? The three G.I.s are instrumental in Victory for the Bluerays. They fight better than anyone else – except, maybe, for Vane.

CAP (VANE):                        "AND I DID SEE IT.

CAP (VANE):                        "AND IT WAS BEAUTIFUL, KILLY – PROPHET OF CHOICE HELP ME, BUT IT WAS BEAUTIFUL.

CAP (VANE):                        "THE WAY THEY MOVED – SO FAST, SO FLUID, SO GRACEFUL. LIKE DANCERS,                                 ALMOST.

CAP (VANE):                        "THE DEATHS THEY CAUSED SEEMED INCIDENTAL TO THEIR BALLET INSTEAD OF ITS PURPOSE.

CAP (VANE):                        "I WAS PROUD TO FIGHT ALONGSIDE THEM."

++++
++++

PAGE THREE (4F).

PAGE THREE, FRAME ONE: The battle is over. The Bluerays have won and suffered only a handful of casualties and no losses. The Vaxxons have been decimated with only a pitiful ten or so, including an enraged  Gargathaka, surviving more or less intact.

CAP (VANE):                            "WE WON... WE MORE THAN WON.

CAP (VANE):                            "WE ACED IT."

++++

PAGE THREE, FRAME TWO: The penultimate event is The War – basically a massive free-for-all set amongst a jumble of dangerous objects and traps. Both sides are fighting like crazy now – but the Vaxxons cannot stand against Able, Baker, Charlie and Vane leading a revitalised team of gladiators.  Gargathaka can't get near to Vane or the G.I.s

CAP (VANE):                        "WE ACED THE WAR AS WELL."

++++

PAGE THREE, FRAME THREE: Captured, Able holding one arm and Baker the other, a defiant Gargathaka sneers a reluctant surrender, Vane's sword-tip at his throat. Most of Gargathaka's team mates are dead, dying or unable to continue.

CAP (VANE):                        "THE FIFTY BONUS POINTS WE WON FOR FORCING  GARGATHAKA'S SURRENDER PUT US JUST 19 POINTS BEHIND WITH ONLY ONE EVENT LEFT.

CAP (VANE):                        "LAST BLOOD – TEN POINTS FOR AN INCAPACITATION, FIFTEEN POINTS FOR A SUBMISSION AND TWENTY POINTS FOR A CLEAN KILL."

++++

PAGE THREE, FRAME FOUR: Gargathaka chooses Charlie as his opponent. She seems small and frail in comparison but, like her brothers, is unafraid. Vane is annoyed at Gargathaka's choice.

CAP (VANE):                        "ONE-ON-ONE COMBAT, JUST AS THE SUN SETS. THE DEFEATED CHAMPION CHOOSES THE OPPONENT.

CAP (VANE):                        "I WAS ANNOYED THAT HE DIDN'T CHOOSE ME. I SUPPOSE HE THOUGHT CHARLIE LOOKED WEAK."

++++
++++

PAGE FOUR (6F).

PAGE FOUR, FRAME ONE: The Arena has been cleared and is once again pristine – even the bloodstains are gone. The sun is setting. The crowd are enthralled. Alone together bar for the Referee, Charlie and Gargathaka face each other in the centre of the sands. The Referee, checking his watch, is blowing his whistle to start this last fight.

CAP (VANE):                        "MORE FOOL HIM."

++++

PAGE FOUR, FRAME TWO: Charlie throws down her weapons with an impish smile.

CAP (VANE):                        "FOR A MINUTE, THOUGH, I DID WONDER."

++++

PAGE FOUR, FRAME THREE: The crowd groans – not again! But Charlie has put up her fists...

++++

PAGE FOUR, FRAME FOUR: ...and lays into Gargathaka with cobra-sharp ferocity...

++++

PAGE FOUR, FRAME FIVE: ...Gargathaka is neither fast enough or strong enough to withstand Charlie's Martial assault...

++++

PAGE FOUR, FRAME SIX: ...and she finally kills him stone-dead with a mighty kick to the base of his skull – breaking his neck.

CAP (VANE):                        "BUT ONLY FOR A MINUTE."

++++
++++

PAGE FIVE (5F).

PAGE FIVE, FRAME ONE: Charlie accepts the adoration of the crowd and of her fellow gladiators with dignity and grace.

++++

PAGE FIVE, FRAME TWO: Back out in the car park, which is now devoid of people altogether, the Sentinel is still watching the big screen upon which is showing an ACTION REPLAY of Charlie's final, fatal kick.

++++

PAGE FIVE, FRAME THREE: The screen has changed back to Mike and Ted in the studio, who are still excited by what they've just seen and what it means. The Sentinel has removed its attention from the screen.

++++

PAGE FIVE, FRAME FOUR: As the Sentinel strides away, resuming its random patrol, the Arena's turnstiles begin to disgorge exiting fans. The big screen has a close-up of Mike, who's so excited he can hardly think, let alone talk.

++++

PAGE FIVE, FRAME FIVE: The Sentinel is gone. Fans find their cars or go their own ways. On the screen is the legend: FIYYALAND 'RAYS THROUGH TO INTERPLANETARY MATCH-OFFS FOLLOWING INCREDIBLE COMEBACK!

++++
++++

PAGE SIX (6F).

PAGE SIX, FRAME ONE: A cold, dark, alien place.

++++

PAGE SIX, FRAME TWO: A cylindrical bank of hundreds of TV feeds from hundreds of planets.

++++

PAGE SIX, FRAME THREE: In the midst of this bank of TV feeds, an alien 'slug' hangs from an unseen ceiling. The slug is covered in thousands of tiny eyes on stalks, each one looking at a different feed.

++++

PAGE SIX, FRAME FOUR: One of the feeds shows Charlie's battle with Gargathaka.

++++

PAGE SIX, FRAME FIVE: Every single eye on the creature turns towards this feed.

STRAP:                END OF BOOK ONE.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]