Main Menu

Catchphrases

Started by Funt Solo, 01 November, 2022, 05:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

Quote from: credo on 07 November, 2022, 10:55:39 AM
"I have ten forward and five reverse gears and I must complete my work quota!"
I'd forgotten that one.
It needs to go on a coffee mug at the very least.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Richard

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: credo on 07 November, 2022, 10:55:39 AM
We've not had "SHAKARA!!!" yet, have we? Or BIG JOBS!!! for that matter.

Ooh, yeah, Shakara's a good one. Totally unique. A character completely inseparable from his catchphrase, that's also his name, that's also the title of the strip!
@jamesfeistdraws

nxylas

In memory of Kevin O'Neill, not a catchphrase as such, but a memorable cover strapline:

"I operated on my own BRAIN!"
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Death to the fleshy ones!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

AlexF

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

sheridan

Quote from: Dash Decent on 07 November, 2022, 07:15:07 AM
Quote from: JWare on 03 November, 2022, 08:07:25 AM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 03 November, 2022, 03:19:54 AM

Insomuch as Dredd has a 'catchphrase', perhaps it's something like "HI-EX!" or "INCENDIARY!"

Um... something about being the Law or something?

I never thought "I am the law!" was an appropriate catchphrase for Dredd.  What is he declaring?  That he is enforcing the law?  That he is the embodiment of the law?  It sounds more like the kind of "I'm in charge" power-tripping remark that Cal would make.  "Do what I say, because me, I'm the law, and that's all there is to it.  What I say goes."

I do see how it fits in with the Judges being able to pass sentence as well as arrest people, but that capability's not unique to Dredd.  If Dredd said it as a plain statement, "I am the law (here and now, in this situation we're dealing with)", it would make more sense.  He is not the type to boast and swagger so emphatically referencing himself seems off.  "I am the law!  Do what I say, because what I say goes."

This has occurred to me as well.  It's a variant on hammering on the door and saying "this is the law" but adapted to the more solitary law enforcement of MC1 - sure they do sometimes go around in pairs, but compare real-life police and the judges and the judges are much more likely to go around on their own, just their lawmaster to speak to.

JohnW

Quote from: sheridan on 08 November, 2022, 07:01:54 PM
judges are much more likely to go around on their own, just their lawmaster to speak to.

"800 million people and every one of them a potential criminal I've only you to talk to, my faithful Lawmaster."
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Funt Solo

Lawmaster: Have you considered shouting "I am the law!" when you confront perps?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dandontdare

Quote from: nxylas on 07 November, 2022, 04:35:21 PM
In memory of Kevin O'Neill, not a catchphrase as such, but a memorable cover strapline:

"I operated on my own BRAIN BRIAN!"

fixed (RIP Kev)

Quote from: sheridan on 08 November, 2022, 07:01:54 PM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 07 November, 2022, 07:15:07 AM
Quote from: JWare on 03 November, 2022, 08:07:25 AM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 03 November, 2022, 03:19:54 AM

Insomuch as Dredd has a 'catchphrase', perhaps it's something like "HI-EX!" or "INCENDIARY!"

Um... something about being the Law or something?

I never thought "I am the law!" was an appropriate catchphrase for Dredd.  What is he declaring?  That he is enforcing the law?  That he is the embodiment of the law?  It sounds more like the kind of "I'm in charge" power-tripping remark that Cal would make.  "Do what I say, because me, I'm the law, and that's all there is to it.  What I say goes."

I do see how it fits in with the Judges being able to pass sentence as well as arrest people, but that capability's not unique to Dredd.  If Dredd said it as a plain statement, "I am the law (here and now, in this situation we're dealing with)", it would make more sense.  He is not the type to boast and swagger so emphatically referencing himself seems off.  "I am the law!  Do what I say, because what I say goes."

This has occurred to me as well.  It's a variant on hammering on the door and saying "this is the law" but adapted to the more solitary law enforcement of MC1 - sure they do sometimes go around in pairs, but compare real-life police and the judges and the judges are much more likely to go around on their own, just their lawmaster to speak to.

I always thought it a variation of Louis IV, when told that he couldn't just raise a new tax according to the law, replied "Le loi, c'est moi" (I wonder if that's what Dredd says in the French translations?)

But if you want context, you have to go back to the original (I think this is the first time he said it) in the Cursed Earth:

Pat Mills does love a catchphrase (almost as much as seven member teams with cool nicknames). His poorest attempt though was in the ABC Warriors - remember those cops in the silent cyber-city who would leap out of their flyers shouting "Let's download!" That didn't catch on.