Main Menu

Bishop`s other job

Started by Floyd-the-k, 13 September, 2003, 01:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Floyd-the-k

smee again!  I bought some Phantom comics during my recent visit to Australia and noticed the one was written by David Bishop.  Is this the same man?

jdmobius

He's also writing Dr Who books by the look of it

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/drwho/2003/09/09/6720.shtml" target="_blank">Bishop and Dr Who

Art

Lobo Baggins

++He's also the writer for B.L.A.I.R.1, The Spacegirls and Repo-Mex...++

You forgot 'Soul Sisters' from that list.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Trout

Now then chums, lay off poor Bish-Op!

At least he didn't write Witch World.

- Trout

petemaskreplica

David Bishop was the only creator at Moniaive wearing a suit. So he must be getting a reasonable wedge from somewhere...

Trout

Or at least a free suit.

- Trout

Queen Firey-Bou

petemaskreplica

No, just a wedge. Though he may also be getting a reasonable wedgey from somewhere, who am I to say?

davidbishop

Floyd asked: I bought some Phantom comics during my recent visit to Australia and noticed the one was written by David Bishop. Is this the same man?

Yes. I write The Phantom for Egmont Sweden. The stories are published in various languages, with Australia's Frew Comics printing the English version. So far I have written seven issues, with several more to come.

jdmobius noted: He's also writing Dr Who books by the look of it.

I've just finished my fourth Doctor Who novel, Empire of Death, due to be published by BBC Books in March 2004.

arthurwyatt was kind enough to mention: Hes al;so the writer for B.L.A.I.R.1, The Spacegirls and Repo-Mex...

Actually, I co-created B.L.A.I.R. 1 and wrote the first two pages - Alan Grant did the rest. But all the blame should rest with me on that one.

Space Girls - again, I co-created it and then John Tomlinson did his best to make it worth reading. Mea culpa again.

Repo-Mex - another Bish-OP classic. Point the big stick of blame in my direction, if you wish.

Lobo Baggins added: You forgot 'Soul Sisters' from that list.

And how could anyone forget Soul Sisters? Co-written with Dave Stone, I'll only take a share of any blame going for that one.

Everyone also forgot The Straitjacket Fits.

King Troutchum came back with: Now then chums, lay off poor Bish-Op! At least he didn't write Witch World.

No, but I did commission it. Personally, I don't think it's as bad as some readers paint it, but my opinion is just as misguided as that of others, no doubt...

petemaskreplica added: David Bishop was the only creator at Moniaive wearing a suit. So he must be getting a reasonable wedge from somewhere...

Actually, I was the only creator wearing a suit jacket. It's about five years old and needs replacing. Perhaps in the January sales...

For anyone who cares, my other jobs include:

- just started a novel for a new imprint;
- have written four Dredd audios for Big Finish with another in early planning;
- have written a Sarah Jane Smith audio and a Doctor Who Unbound audio for Big Finish;
- the Thrill-power Overload history of 2000 AD for the Megazine (still doing the rounds of book publishers);
- the Blazing Battle Action history of Battle for the Megazine;
- a short history of Judge Death for the Extreme Edition;
- concept creation for three different computer games being published in the future;
- Starring Michael Caine, a guide to the films of Michael Caine (natch);
- and, last but not least, a nine-part series for 2000 AD under my James Stevens pen-name. Dead Men Walking starts this Autumn with great art by Boo Cook. Obviously, being in mind my track record as a script writer for 2000 AD and the Megazine, I fully expect the series to be reviled by everyone here.

And that's all the weather.

davidbishop

opaque

With art by Boo Cook? Nah that should help your script along a great deal ;) Soul Sisters was bad but it was made supremly worse in my mind by the artwork, actually the same goes for BLAIR 1, but not Space Girls, ah well. Maybe just unlucky.
Really hope the Thrill-power overload history of 2000ad is made into a book, thats something I'd definately buy.
Is this novel for a new imprint 2000ad related? Your past Dredd novels were great.

Devons Daddy

MR DAVID BISHOP. i believe you are chum. other wise you would have desserted us long ago.

the Thrill-power Overload history of 2000 AD for the Megazine (still doing the rounds of book publishers);

Obviously, being in mind my track record as a script writer for 2000 AD and the Megazine, I fully expect the series to be reviled by everyone here

now thats a great and defenitive answer. the two i highlight here are of the greatest note,
good to know you are looking into the TPO i have said before and will say it again. i will purchase this upon publication.

and as for the second item cut and pasted here.

if we where to list every thing you ever created or commisioned for 2000ad and the megazine we enjoyed, we would never be able to meet you at a comic con without dropping to the floor and informing you we where not worthy of your talents.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Lobo Baggins

'The Straightjacket Fits' was great!  The Mark Millar gag in the Arkham Asylum take-off was excellent...

I was always disapointed that Roger Langridge (sp?) never drew anything else for 2000AD, too.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

DavidXBrunt

Yeah, get the man Langridge back in the comic. His Doctor Who stuff is good but I want to see his Dredd. Or his Robo-Hunter...

Darren Stephens

Yeh, i thought David Bishop did a fair job at the helm of toof. He gave me my first commission of my short and sweet comics career, though whether this goes onto the plus or minus list is probably debatable for some people!
Mind you, ive never had the 'pleasure' of reading Space Girls.............
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^