Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willthemightyW

They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Professor Bear

I preferred 2010 to 2001.  I've always thought it was just more enjoyable to watch, though it is entirely possible to view it as a parody of Americans remaking arthouse movies as brash adventures full of hotdog-chomping baseball cap-wearing mavericks with a crazy idea in their head who's not going to let The Man tell them how to do things, and who will show the commies that their commie way of thinking is flawed.  I also recall being no age at all and the monoliths eating Jupiter made me frapp my pants.

Frank

Quote from: Judge Jack on 04 November, 2012, 05:46:10 PM
Reading between the lines, im begining to fear the worst. If it is indeed bad news, could you break it to me this way ?

That's a smart scene from a film that has an awful lot to answer for. Apart from the moon conspiracy nutters, I'm sure that particular device influenced Anal Moore's Killing Joke. Just to give everything a pleasing circularity, I'm looking forward to seeing Room 237; the documentary exploring the profusion of scholarship and fan interpretations of Kubrick's The Shining - including the theory that it's a coded declaration of the director's involvement in faking the moon landings.

Richmond Clements

QuoteAnal Moore's Killing Joke

If there's a better typo than that, I don't want to hear about it.

Frank

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 04 November, 2012, 07:12:25 PM
QuoteAnal Moore's Killing Joke

If there's a better typo than that, I don't want to hear about it.

To my shame, I've made the same puerile joke every time I've written or typed Moore's name since I wrote "DO NOT RECORD OVER" along the spine of the VHS tape I used to record C4's The Day Comics Grew Up. I am a living exemplar of the phrase tiny things amuse tiny minds.

Spikes

Without wishing to throw this thread off track, all this talk of Stanley Kubrick has had me reading online for a while.
This 2004 article makes for a great read, and it would have been nice to find yourself in Jon Ronson's shoes - if you had a decade, or two, to spare.

Which all serves to reminds me, that when i worked for a Window Blind company, we would occasionally do work for famous types (Benny from ABBA, George Michael...), and one such order was to provide some Blinds for the film Eyes Wide Shut. Cant help but imagine now, that somewhere in those pristine boxes is an invoice signed by me,  ;)

Satanist

Total rehash Recall  which I had heard was meant to go its own way but it ended up copying most of the prior films scenes. And too many knowing winks to Arnies film with a forced Mrs 3 tits and "2 weeks" being the most blatant.

Utter dogshit. I imagine I'll be saying much the same about new Robocop in a years time.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

mygrimmbrother

Watched a horror film called 'The Pact' the other night. Pretty much by-the-numbers in most respects, but one or two aspects of it were really quite creepy. I won't give anything away, but some of the scenes/ repeated imagery made me feel deeply unsettled - so much so that I was really reluctant to turn the light out when we went to bed. I love horror, watch it all the time, but I have to admit it's very rare for a film to actually creep me out like that. 

Third Estate Ned

Have you seen Insidious, mygrimmbrother? On the face of it it's a load of cliched horror tosh but that's the fun of it. The suspense is in waiting for the pay off you know is going to happen. It succeeded in creeping me out to the point where I had my hand over my face for certain bits. It has a good jump scare/creep out ratio.

mygrimmbrother

Hey Ned, I have indeed, and yep - that had it's fair share of real scares too, good call!

Frank

Quote from: Judge Jack on 04 November, 2012, 09:15:43 PM
Without wishing to throw this thread off track, all this talk of Stanley Kubrick has had me reading online for a while.
This 2004 article makes for a great read, and it would have been nice to find yourself in Jon Ronson's shoes - if you had a decade, or two, to spare.

I watched the C4 documentary Ronson did detailing his rummaging. I especially liked his conclusion, that it was the cardboard boxes themselves - not what was in them - which explained the frustrating nature of Kubrick's genius.

Cursed Earth Dweller

Pale Rider with Clint Eastwood.

This, High Planes Drifter and The Outlaw Josey Wales easily stand up to the a Dollars trilogy. Not sure if I like Unforgiven though.

Quote from: willthemightyWMad Max 2! Love this film!

Ditto!

Tiplodocus

Not sure if you like Unforgiven? You should.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

Strange Bedfellows, the Aussie film that "inspired"* I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry.  SB is an oddly melancholic film full of scenes where people just seem uncomfortable and there aren't many jokes, so it's possibly the only time in my life I will say with a straight face "the Rob Schneider version was much better."  Inoffensive enough, though - which is odd given it's a film about two blokes in a rural community pretending to be gay to get tax benefits, I'd chalk this up to being an interesting idea that wasn't developed enough in pre-production to be an interesting film.

* It says on legal documents issued by Adam Sandler's attorney.

I, Cosh

Beasts of the Southern Wild Wow! That was really something. More later, maybe.
We never really die.