Main Menu

Ian Gibson quits

Started by vzzbux, 15 August, 2007, 11:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzzbux

Just found out that Ian Gibson has quit 2000ad. Just in case any of you were wondering why robo hunter had another artist.

This message has been edited at the request of vzzbux.
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Dog Deever

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

mechanix81

Dawn of the first day. 72 hours remain.

Roger Godpleton

Yowzers. I hope this isn't going to lead to a protracted feud of any sort.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Jim_Campbell

Hmmm ... and that would be a personal, private communication between Mr Gibson and yourself, yes?

Without Ian asking you to put the boot into Alan Grant in a public forum, on what basis did you take it upon yourself to do precisely that?

I would suggest that Ian's comments could be ill-judged for an e-mail that might, for whatever reason, be made public, but I would also suggest that you may have done Ian no favours whatsoever with your post.

Sorry ...

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dog Deever

This is very bad news.
Are you sure you should be posting this here, as it could cause Ian a bit of a shitstorm.

Quick, Garageman- write him a JD script to entice him back!!!

Dog Deever

TordelBack

Ah bollocks.  But if true (never trust the interweb, nothing personal vzzbux - 4 posts in 5 years strongly argues that you're not our usual kind of nutter), it makes an awful lot of sense.  I feel his pain.  Given a choice between Gibson and Grant's current work (leaving both men's past glories out of it), I know whose work I'd prefer to see in my prog.

Buttonman

Good to see a bit of artistic integrity  there. From Halo Jones to Samantha Slade must be the greatest high to the lowest low in 2000ad history.

He is one of the comic's iconic creators and it was plain to see that his heart wasn't in the last few episodes. Hope things pan out for him and that his absence isn't a long one.

Bolt-01

Dang- nothing like letting it all out is there?

Shame all round.

Bolt-01

Woolly

Sounds more like he's quit Robo-Hunter as opposed to 2000AD.

I'd be very surprised if we didnt see his work in 2000AD again.

Floyd-the-k

Here's hoping it isn't true.  Gibson's so brilliant he could illustrate the 'my cat died' thread and make it funny

vzzbux

when I posted this message I didnt think about any reprecussions that may occur I just thought the general fans would like to know and I appologise sincerely if I have (or will) cause(d) anybody any grief.
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

flip-r mk2

Hope he's back on something soon,a nice Gordon Rennie Dredd perhaps are you listening Gordon.

It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

TordelBack

From Halo Jones to Samantha Slade must be the greatest high to the lowest low in 2000ad history.

Would that make Teenage Tax Consultant a sort of mid-point?  (Actually, I liked that daffy thing).

Rennie's Origins fill-in showed that Gibson can still pour it on, so I was surprised to see his (IMHO) patchy art on Robohunter.  Grant on the other hand is very hit-and-miss these days - he has me enjoying the odd story, but he frequently seems to drop the ball (as in the recent Anderson Half Life sequence, which was getting interesting until the the big threat completely and inexplicably collapsed).  This is not to say that the man hasn't paid his dues a thousand times over - just looking at current standards.

Off-topic, one of my favourite 2000AD pieces of all time is Gibson's "how-to" segment in an 80's annual, where he breaks a Dredd sequence down into layout pencils, inks and washes... great stuff.