Main Menu

Hivemind Request: International Judge Group Pic

Started by marcusninja, 26 June, 2012, 04:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thehod

The Hod: Novelist, raconteur and celebrated sexual athlete.

credo

The bigger question is what judges haven't we seen, and are there cities that don't even have a judge system?

OK, so that's 2 questions!

As far as I'm aware, we've seen judges from:

Luxor (Egypt), CalHab (Scotland), Pan Africa, Brit Cit, Cuidad Baranquila (Argentina?), Texas City, Mega City 2 (same as MC-1, but without the eagle?), Uranium City (Alaska), Hondo (Japan), Emerald Isle (Ireland), Oz (Australia), East-Meg 1&2, and Vatican City (although that might be debatable, given it was Millar, and that it contradicts John Smith's depiction of the Vatican in Devlin Waugh).

I don't think we've seen any from these (existing post Judgement Day) places (as mentioned on the map):

Pan Andes Conurb, Cuidad Espana, Euro City, Geneva, New Jerusalem, Nu-Dehli, New Thai Confederacy, Sino Cit 2 (now 1 and only I suppose), Scandinavian Confederation and a bunch of other tiny places one would assume have been mentioned in passing but don't count as anything like "Mega Cities".

I also seem to remember mention of Mex-Cit (prog 626 "In the Bath" - well remembered as it's the first part of the continuous run in my collection), but that's not on the map.

Personally, I think there's a hell of a lot of room for high quality Dredd satire in looking at a shift in global power towards Sino Cit (post Chaos Day, I suppose), or in Brit Cit, Euro Cit relations.

James Stacey

Quote from: credo on 13 July, 2012, 10:04:22 AM
I don't think we've seen any from these (existing post Judgement Day) places (as mentioned on the map):
Nu-Dehli
Judge Bahji was a Psi from Nu-Dehli

credo

Quote from: James Stacey on 13 July, 2012, 10:18:49 AM
Nu-Dehli

True. Strike another one from the list (although if I'm being picky, we've not seen a complete uniform - outfit but no helmet).

James Stacey

Would the New Thai Confederacy be in The Taxidermist or am I misremembering  ? Seem to remember a Royal Guard type deeley rather than a judicial system

TordelBack

Quote from: James Stacey on 13 July, 2012, 10:18:49 AM
Nu-Dehli

No, not ringing any bells.  I think you must be imagining that character and the story he didn't appear in.  Sucks to be you.

Dark Jimbo

Pan Andes Conurb, Cuidad Espana, Euro City, Geneva, New Jerusalem, Nu-Dehli, New Thai Confederacy, Sino Cit 2 (now 1 and only I suppose), Scandinavian Confederation and a bunch of other tiny places one would assume have been mentioned in passing but don't count as anything like "Mega Cities".

Pan Andes Judges are notable for turning up in the last Dredd drawn by Ron Smith - 'Sugar Beat', progs 873-8.

Euro Judges were seen several times in Gordon Rennie's 'Regime Change', Megazine 246-249; as indeed were the Sinos. This was their last appearance to date, but they cropped up a few times in various craptacular 90's stories, as below -

@jamesfeistdraws

credo

Quote from: James Stacey on 13 July, 2012, 10:31:46 AM
Would the New Thai Confederacy be in The Taxidermist or am I misremembering  ? Seem to remember a Royal Guard type deeley rather than a judicial system

That was Napal.

Totally missed the Pan Andes Judges, but the Sino Cit picture you showed rings a bell. Didn't know the Euro Cit one as that's post my Meg reading time.  Good design? Helmet?

That just leaves us with Cuidad Espana, Geneva, New Jerusalem, New Thai, and Scandinavia. Anyone care to draw their own?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: credo on 13 July, 2012, 12:27:16 PM
Didn't know the Euro Cit one as that's post my Meg reading time.  Good design? Helmet?

I thought so - nice and understated. Quite similar to the Mega-City outfit but with less red and gold splashed about. Shoulder pads were simple Warhammer-space-marine-style things, blue with the white ring-of-stars symbol. Can't find a pic though, sorry.
@jamesfeistdraws

JudgeLex

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 13 July, 2012, 04:51:45 PM
Quote from: credo on 13 July, 2012, 12:27:16 PM
Didn't know the Euro Cit one as that's post my Meg reading time.  Good design? Helmet?

I thought so - nice and understated. Quite similar to the Mega-City outfit but with less red and gold splashed about. Shoulder pads were simple Warhammer-space-marine-style things, blue with the white ring-of-stars symbol. Can't find a pic though, sorry.

I have three pics here, none of which match your description, though one does feature the ring of stars in the design: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/judgedredd/images/e/e8/Euro_Judge_in_Barrranquilla.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20141231154802
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/judgedredd/images/1/18/Serpico_Euro-Crime.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20200518143356
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/judgedredd/images/e/e2/Judge_Calvin.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20200712014837

I have also heard mention of a separate Judge force for the Berlin Conurb, but I haven't had any luck finding images for them online. Just a maddeningly unhelpful textual description of the uniforms as 'undecorative', and the detail that they're supposed to have showed up in Progs 1469 through 1474. If anyone has images of them, I'd greatly appreciate their being shared.

Bolt-01

James Stacey

Quote from: JudgeLex on 17 September, 2020, 09:48:52 AM
I have three pics here, none of which match your description, though one does feature the ring of stars in the design:
I mean, all those panels appeared in the comic in the decade following Dark Jimbo's post so he was probably unaware of them at the time :D
welcome aboard.

JudgeLex

Quote from: James Stacey on 17 September, 2020, 01:58:09 PM
Quote from: JudgeLex on 17 September, 2020, 09:48:52 AM
I have three pics here, none of which match your description, though one does feature the ring of stars in the design:
I mean, all those panels appeared in the comic in the decade following Dark Jimbo's post so he was probably unaware of them at the time :D
welcome aboard.

Good point. And thank you.

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 17 September, 2020, 11:10:20 AM
Heck of a first post, there. Welcome.
*bows*

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Proudhuff

Hopefully any new versions of overseas Judges ( and Cal-Hab ones) will be suitably woke and veer away from the lumpy stereotypes of yesteryear.

Oh and there are Luna Judges too...
DDT did a job on me