Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

I have a soft spot for Godzilla 2000, and feel compelled to point out that it was remade on the cheap as Reptilian by Korean film-makers with an American cast.  It's theoretically a remake of the Korean 'Zilla rip-off Yongary and even as a lover of kaiju flicks I would charitably call it utterly terrible, but there something admirable about the shameless way they go about things, and their inclusion of jet-packing soldiers is pretty fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8lwUP0mJg4

HdE

I have to admit, having watched nothing but the late '60s / ear;y '70s Godzilla movies, and this being a comparatively recent offering, I was a little dubious about what to expect. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that teh stuff that made those older movies so much fun had been left largely untampered with.

I confess, I tend to spend more time laughing and giggling at those movies than anything else, but even so, GREAT fun was had. I particularly liked the bit where Godzilla twatted the big shiny alien bicycle seat with his tail and sent it carving through the city!

Followed it up tonight with 'Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla', which pulled off the neat trick of actually being a decent little movie in its own right, and holding up as a decent story. Of course, wacky OTT kaiju-stomping fun was still there in abundance.

(I've actually taken to calling this movie 'Godzilla Against The Machine', in hopes that it'll inspire a rap-rock album someday.)
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

brendan1

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 06 March, 2012, 04:34:55 PM
(cont) their names, and their relationship is identical. Bu for all that, i love its slow pace, lack of gunfights, and that it at least tries to have something to say.

SBT

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is one of the shittest, dreariest films ever made. And it's perfectly natural that there will be a geeky revisionist "Oh, wait, it wasn't THAT bad, look it's actually a bit like 2001"

Yes. A bit like 2001 in that fuck all happens, and there's an attempt to have deep, pseudo-intellectual debate about space exploration and the impact on humanity by technological and extra-terrestrial intelligence.

So, great. It's also a shit version of 2001.

I saw it as a very young kid, who loved watching James T Kirk and co, every week on the telly. And this big screen abortion almost moved me to tears of frustration and boredom. Thankfully, the roars of complaint from the millions who flocked to see it and correctly fucking hated it, meant that they ensured The Wrath Of Khan had some fucking action in it, and was duly ace.

HOO-HAA

Well, we watched PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3 last night.

I love this series and the third instalment didn't disappoint at all. A little more money spent, so expect more profound effects. Still the same creeping sense of dread as the first two entries, of course.

Nice Satanic Panic element thrown in to boot.

Highly recommended.

brendan1

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 06 March, 2012, 04:32:08 PM

Oddly, it's by far my favourite of all the trek movies (though i confess ive never seen a couple of the next generation ones because, well, life's too short!) and what i love most of all is, as you rightly mention, the

It's not odd at all. Every film you like is shit.

brendan1

I watched the Fright Night remake.

It was OK. ish, but I got the uneasy feeling that it was made purely because someone thought Farrell would be perfect casting for the vampire, based on looking a bit like the bloke in the original. And yes, he is pretty good in it.

I would certainly like to smash the girl in it. Super fit.

the 'artist' formerly known as Slips

Quote from: brendan1 on 09 March, 2012, 09:54:42 AM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 06 March, 2012, 04:34:55 PM
(cont) their names, and their relationship is identical. Bu for all that, i love its slow pace, lack of gunfights, and that it at least tries to have something to say.

SBT

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is one of the shittest, dreariest films ever made. And it's perfectly natural that there will be a geeky revisionist "Oh, wait, it wasn't THAT bad, look it's actually a bit like 2001"

Yes. A bit like 2001 in that fuck all happens, and there's an attempt to have deep, pseudo-intellectual debate about space exploration and the impact on humanity by technological and extra-terrestrial intelligence.

So, great. It's also a shit version of 2001.

I saw it as a very young kid, who loved watching James T Kirk and co, every week on the telly. And this big screen abortion almost moved me to tears of frustration and boredom. Thankfully, the roars of complaint from the millions who flocked to see it and correctly fucking hated it, meant that they ensured The Wrath Of Khan had some fucking action in it, and was duly ace.
I actually agree with this to an extent. 
The thrill of Star Trek, especially TOS, is zooming around space killing alien bad guys and shagging alien birds.  Its made better by the OTT style of the acting that Shatner et al brought to it.   Im a hero!  Wooo.   Look at me Im f*ckin' handsome, etc. 

Forward on, we have ST:Motion Picture and the template for the bore fest that was the Next Generation. Now Im all for high brow intellectual stuff, but STNG wasnt.  It was dull, lets go around and try to make peace everywhere.  Lifted by some good acting in places and the occasional decent idea.  Sure update series and ideas, but try not to lose sight of what made it fun in the first place.  Having said that the next 3 Star Trek films where pretty good, Wrath and Search being stand out.   

PS - this is not the first time Ive said this on these boards.  Wont be the last either I suspect.   :-X
"They tried and failed, all of them?"
"Oh, no." she shook her head "They tried and died"
Mostly Sarcastic & flippant

TordelBack

Quote from: Slips on 09 March, 2012, 10:49:55 AM
The thrill of Star Trek, especially TOS, is zooming around space killing alien bad guys and shagging alien birds.

I dunno Slips, I've been a big-style Trekkie in my time, and there wasn't as much of this in TOS as people like to make out.  I think the appeal of TOS is the chemistry of the three leads, the wider world it hints at (but rarely shows) and yes, the topless fist fights, but it was hardly an all-action all-the-time proposition.  It was, however, infinitely more action-packed than the Slow Motion Picture, which I do have a soft spot for (who doesn't love beardy McCoy and Lt. Ilia's infinite legs?), but seldom watch.   

Spikes

Well, out of all the Star Trek films, TMP does seem like the odd one out, and very much like a work in progress, but i agree with SBT, as its as my favourite also.
Who doesnt love that opening with the Klingons? Great stuff.
Not that it doesnt have its ropey moments - but then again so do all  the Star Trek films.
And shame Paramount couldnt supply a decent print to Wise and co, when it came to do the Directors cut.

Spaceghost

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 March, 2012, 11:07:12 AM
Quote from: Slips on 09 March, 2012, 10:49:55 AM
The thrill of Star Trek, especially TOS, is zooming around space killing alien bad guys and shagging alien birds.
I dunno Slips, I've been a big-style Trekkie in my time, and there wasn't as much of this in TOS as people like to make out.

Spurred on by my excitement about the new Star Trek film, I've just bought season 1 of the original series on DVD (the new re-mastered version with the CGI bits in which, I think, work brilliantly and enhance an already excellent show).

Now, I haven't properly watched the original series since I was a kid and I'm enjoying it tremendously.

It's generally more thoughtful and slow paced than I remember. I think the child in me only retained images of aliens, spaceships and phaser play. The one thing that caused a Spock style raising of an eyebrow was the staggering amount of breathtaking male chauvinism inherent in virtually every episode.

Once I've got my hands on and watched seasons 2 and 3 I'm planning to get the 6 film box set too.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

JamesC

TOS has some great episodes but the first season in particular is hampered by having some very samey episodes.
In the frist half a season there are about 4 variations on the theme of a goodie suddenly turning into a baddie.
It's almost as bad as TNGs reliance on Holodeck malfunctions.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: brendan1 on 09 March, 2012, 10:24:57 AM
I watched the Fright Night remake.

It was OK. ish, but I got the uneasy feeling that it was made purely because someone thought Farrell would be perfect casting for the vampire, based on looking a bit like the bloke in the original. And yes, he is pretty good in it.

I would certainly like to smash the girl in it. Super fit.

I haven't actually seen the original. Worth getting?

Daveycandlish

QuoteI haven't actually seen the original. Worth getting?

It's an 80s cheese-fest but it does have Roddy McDowell in it. I like it! If you can find it cheap it's worth a punt
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

SmallBlueThing

SNOW BEAST (£3 from Tesco)

Possibly a remake of the 70s original- possibly just a cheap movie about a snow beast with the same title. Who knows? It's 12 rated, which means no tits or gore to speak of, no swearing, and precious little else except a man in a low budget Wampa suit running around a Canadian forest, thwacking people and dragging them back to his cave.

There is no reason whatsoever to like this, but I did. It isn't scary, isn't surprising, and isn't clever- but it's strangely comforting, and the snow beast himself has an air of Rawhead Rex about him, and as Rex is one of my favourite movie monsters ever, I'm allowed to like it for that.

Also available in the a boxset with SWAMP SHARK (excellent- haha!) and MONSTERWOLF (average, let down by being too long and having dodgy cgi. Buoyed by having a story and some close-up puppetry).

SBT

Professor Bear

SBT, don't take this the wrong way, but: are you secretly a PR person for SyFy?  You seem to be recommending the cheapo films they have on heavy rotation - some of which they actually part-financed themselves - and which drove me to cancel my Sky subscription.  Failing that, has someone made some kind of bet with you?