Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Quote from: The Cosh on 10 February, 2013, 03:44:02 PM
Not entirely sure what prompted me to see The Silver Linings Playbook, but I loved it. It's not exactly a feelgood rom-com although it shares some of the same DNA, nor is it entirely a straight drama but an interesting hybrid of the two.

Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are an ill-matched couple both struggling to come to terms with their different mental health issues and gradually coming to rely on each other. I'm no expert, but it does seem like a pretty sympathetic portrait. There are times when it's played for laughs but a couple of scenes where it transitions very sharply into quite uncomfortable territory while the photography, editing and sound design are all used clevelry to illustrate the lead's changing state of mind.

It's quite touching if slightly cheesy and, ultimately, quite hard to pin down. I later found it was from the same director as I Heart Huckabees which I also really enjoyed but would find difficult to explain. Lawrence is outrageously lovely in this.

Agree pretty much entirely with this. As you say, the way the editing and lighting changed was great. Some great supporting turns too. What else have I seen Lawrence in? It cant be just Hunger Games. (Hopefully, the underware thread.)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JamesC

She plays Mystique in X-Men: First Class I think.

Spikes

Quote from: Buttonman on 20 April, 2013, 01:47:04 PM
Quote from: Judge Jack on 20 April, 2013, 01:37:46 PM
Von Ryan's express - as we speak.

Hope Frank makes the train this time.

We all hope that, but alas...  :(

darnmarr

After reading H.G. Well's 'The Island of Dr Moreau' last week, I have watched:

Island of Lost Souls, 1932 (Charles laughton/Richard Arlen/Kathleen Burke)
Island of Dr Moreau†, 1977 (Burt Lancaster/Micheal York/Barbara Carrera)
Island of Dr Moreau‡, 1996 (Marlon Brando/David Tewlis/Fairuza Balk)

and so I can't really objectively comment on any of them as individual films, but I do feel somewhat satisfied.

†  I also read the Marvel Comics adaptation.
‡  as well as reading Mr Stanley*'s original script.
* Mr Stanley like-as-what wrote 'Hardwired' based on a Robo-Tale/Future-Shock, and got kicked off 'Moreau' after a couple of days of filming.

Hawkmumbler

Island of Lost Souls is a classic, and I have a soft spot for Island of Dr Moreau (1996).

darnmarr

Me too, I honestly feel that there is an excellent film in there somewhere trying to get out.
EDIT: Unfortunately watching it can be a bit like looking at the human/hybrid abominations Moreau himself creates,-" it's not science it's butchery I tell you!"

Also Island of Lost Souls is apparantly where the whole 'natives are restless' expression comes from, factfans.

bluemeanie

Rewatched Seven Psychopaths due to the blu ray getting released.
Think its now taken over from Fight Club as my all time favourite film. Just perfect.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: bluemeanie on 20 April, 2013, 07:59:51 PM
Rewatched Seven Psychopaths due to the blu ray getting released.
Think its now taken over from Fight Club as my all time favourite film. Just perfect.

It is a truly awesome movie - but I still think In Bruges pips it... but thine again, this one has Tom Waits with a bunny... but the other had midgets...

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Been watching Rocky IV for the past half hour, and so far there's only been 5 minutes of actual movie. The rest has just been montages. Montages and awesome 80's tunes.
You may quote me on that.

smilersaltash

Finally got my Blu-ray player up and running.

First film tonight - Sexy Beast with Ray Winston and Ben Kingsley - top film.

Now settling in for a Predator marathon - bought the trilogy for £18 (in the shop where every little helps)

Buttonman

Hugh Laurie goes for the jail bait in The Oranges while sexy computer based action takes place at the Wandering Eye.

ThryllSeekyr

I watched the two hour pilot episode to Defiance and not sure how the rest of the series will turn out.

Mabs

Quote from: smilersaltash on 19 April, 2013, 09:23:52 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 19 April, 2013, 10:48:38 AM

Next up: Jonah Hex and Tron Legacy (i bought both for £3 each while out shopping last night).

I watched Jonah Hex last weekend - cracking good film

Trying to watch Season 1 of Game of Thrones, but finding it a bit slow up to episode 3. Not much fighting, but then they're probably knackered after all the shagging.

It's great you enjoyed it Smilersaltash, but for me, it was a really poor film and insult to the comic (of which i'm a massive fan). It started off pretty well, the opening animation montage was pretty cool, but it started going awry maybe 15-20 minutes in. All the actors were disappointing; especially Michael Fassbender and John Malkovich (who seems to be in it for the pay cheque). The directing was also shoddy; why did the director feel the need to use soft focus on Megan Fox all the bloody time? It was so jarring. And the script....well lets not go there. And the short running time didn't help matters....or it probably did as i was glad to see the end. Very disappointing. Will we ever see a great Jonah Hex adaption? I like to think we already have via Clint Eastwood's supernatural western; High Plains Drifter. If you just imagine Clint as Hex, then you get a far more satisfying film than this piss poor effort.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Mabs on 21 April, 2013, 08:54:52 AM
Quote from: smilersaltash on 19 April, 2013, 09:23:52 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 19 April, 2013, 10:48:38 AM

Next up: Jonah Hex and Tron Legacy (i bought both for £3 each while out shopping last night).

I watched Jonah Hex last weekend - cracking good film

Trying to watch Season 1 of Game of Thrones, but finding it a bit slow up to episode 3. Not much fighting, but then they're probably knackered after all the shagging.

It's great you enjoyed it Smilersaltash, but for me, it was a really poor film and insult to the comic (of which i'm a massive fan). It started off pretty well, the opening animation montage was pretty cool, but it started going awry maybe 15-20 minutes in. All the actors were disappointing; especially Michael Fassbender and John Malkovich (who seems to be in it for the pay cheque). The directing was also shoddy; why did the director feel the need to use soft focus on Megan Fox all the bloody time? It was so jarring. And the script....well lets not go there. And the short running time didn't help matters....or it probably did as i was glad to see the end. Very disappointing. Will we ever see a great Jonah Hex adaption? I like to think we already have via Clint Eastwood's supernatural western; High Plains Drifter. If you just imagine Clint as Hex, then you get a far more satisfying film than this piss poor effort.

Glad you've said that. Didn't want to say before you'd seen it as didn't wish to colour expectations (not saying I would but ya know). Jonah Hex is one of the worst films I can remember. both my wife and I are big fans of the comic and we got through 30 minutes of this before looking at each other and almost without a word agreeing to give it up and never mention it again. Horrible film both as an adaptation and as a western... well and as a film full stop.

Such a shame, as while I'm not the biggest fan of comic book adaptations to film in general, I think Jonah Hex is one of the exceptions that could prove the rule, that generally they don't work as they require too much compromise and you're better of sticking with the source material...

I'm sill to see The Spirit (its on my Lovefilm list) and wonder how I'll feel after that one!

Mabs

I've still to watch The Spirit too, even if it does turn out to be a poor adaption, somehow i think it can't get more worse than Jonah Hex. You and your wife made the right decision in my view, leaving the film when you did.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie