Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: radiator on 23 September, 2013, 10:25:30 AM

Ok, maybe that speech ( from Blade Runner ) is less 'bullet time' and more 'Le Big Mac/Royale With Cheese' scene from Pulp Fiction.

Pulp Fiction is another Classic Movie, that sits happily in my top ten favourite Movies of all Time...with some absolutely fabulous quotable scenes.......
The obvious Le big Mac / Royale with cheese......
The "Whose Motorcycle is this ??....It's a Chopper, baby "...
The amazingly,  fabulous ( and seriously spooky ) Christopher Walken and the "This is your fathers' watch" .....
The  " He threw him out a window / for a foot massage ??" ..............etc

Tarantino is a 'master of modern dialogue' and scene setting ( unfortunately not always though ).......
Haven't seen Django yet but looking forward to it when it is shown on Sky Movies....

Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Mabs

Sorry Jim, I meant contrast, not contradt.....bloody typo's!  >:(
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

JamesC

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 23 September, 2013, 11:11:02 AM
Quote from: radiator on 23 September, 2013, 10:25:30 AM

Ok, maybe that speech ( from Blade Runner ) is less 'bullet time' and more 'Le Big Mac/Royale With Cheese' scene from Pulp Fiction.

Pulp Fiction is another Classic Movie, that sits happily in my top ten favourite Movies of all Time...with some absolutely fabulous quotable scenes.......
The obvious Le big Mac / Royale with cheese......
The "Whose Motorcycle is this ??....It's a Chopper, baby "...
The amazingly,  fabulous ( and seriously spooky ) Christopher Walken and the "This is your fathers' watch" .....
The  " He threw him out a window / for a foot massage ??" ..............etc

Tarantino is a 'master of modern dialogue' and scene setting ( unfortunately not always though ).......
Haven't seen Django yet but looking forward to it when it is shown on Sky Movies....

Cheers

Yep. If it's comparable with the 'Royale With Cheese' scene, that's a seal of quality IMHO.

Theblazeuk

Batty saves Deckard because he can. Because he's going to die anyway. Because for now, he's alive and all he ever wanted was to live. Unlike every other death he gains nothing from this murder. All Deckard did was run down the clock a little faster than it would have done anyway.

"Time...to die."

I successfully pulled at University drinking large amounts of vodka and quoting the "We were somewhere around Barstow in the desert when the drugs took hold..." from Fear and Loathing, before sweeping my lady off her feet with the deepness of "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe." I woke up the next morning in my bed with a horrible hangover, no trousers and no memory. Still next day, she returned my phone call :)

TordelBack

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 23 September, 2013, 11:41:21 AMStill next day, she returned my phone call :)

Naturally.  How else would the police pin-point your location?

NapalmKev

Take The Lead - a semi fictionalized account of Pierre Dulaine teaching ballroom dancing to a group of troubled teens.

It was actually quite good!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

von Boom

The Last Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier... Still a fun film.

shaolin_monkey

Re:
Quote from: Mabs on 23 September, 2013, 10:56:38 AM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 September, 2013, 10:18:00 AM
Quote from: JamesC on 23 September, 2013, 09:44:19 AM
The speech in Blade Runner is like the chocolate chip in the cookie - you know it's coming but it's still the good bit.

What keeps me coming back to Blade Runner is the feeling that if I watch it one more time, I'll understand why Batty saves Deckard on that rooftop.

Cheers

Jim

Just as Deckard's about to fall, Batty grabs him (thus saving him), but right at that instant if you listen carefully, Batty cries "Kinship". A lot of Blade Runner enthusuasts cite this as proof that Deckard is a replicant, hence Batty uttering that word. Batty knows what Deckard is, but he himself doesn't know.

But, I am from the school of thought that believes Deckard is human. Because if he were to be a replicant, then the contradt between Deckard's soulless humanity and Batty's poetic, lifely inhumanity would not work. And it's that contradiction about these two characters I find absolutely fascinating, that Batty is a replicant and yet he craves for life, quoting (or mis-quoting!) William Blake and so on. And yet Deckard, the human is more like an android, devoid of feelings (albeit for some small instances).

Ulimately the reason why I feel Batty saves him, is because as death approaches him he wants to seek some sort of affirmation, that he has a soul. And this in turn is symbolised with him holding the dove, and it flying off towards the heavens as he dies. An allegory perhaps of Batty's own soul ascending to heaven.

It depends which version of the film you watch.  If you watch the one without the over-dubbed exposition from Ford (not sure if Director's Cut?), the ending is quite clear that Deckard is a simulant. 

During the film he has a dream about a Unicorn galloping around. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhDDybv8_Ro

It is made clear in certain scenes that replicants are given dreams and memories to make them feel less emotionless, give them some kind of grounding.  Another person knowing their dream is knowing they're a simulant.

Throughout the film, Deckard's fellow copper, Gaff (played by Edward James Olmos, Admiral Adama - Battlestar Galactica!!!) was forever making little matchstick or origami creations.

At the end of this version of the film, as Deckard and Rachael were legging it out of his apartment, he glanced down, and there is one of Gaff's creations on the doormat.  It is a unicorn.

Gaff knew what Deckard's dream was because it was implanted, which means Deckard is a simulant.  It's as simple as that.

Spikes

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 23 September, 2013, 05:24:25 PM
It's as simple as that.

With a film like Blade Runner its never 'as simple as that',  ;)

Ridley has gone on record, and firmly stated his belief in regards to the old 'Is he/Isnt he' thingy.
But he's wrong. The film means nowt if Deckhards a replicant. And Ridley himself didnt know, or really consider this point until late in the day.
Hindsights a wonderful thing... 

The imitation that wants to be more like the real thing, and the human thats like a robot, both on a journey of discovery. Thats the kinship

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Judge Jack on 23 September, 2013, 05:39:48 PM
It's as simple as that.

Explain how Gaff knew Deckard's unicorn dream then.  Go on!!!   :P  :lol:

I'll concede that in the original release it seems pretty clear that Deckard is a human.  The bloody voiceover overrides any subtle nuance that may have led people to think otherwise.  Plus there was no unicorn at the end.

shaolin_monkey

Gah!  REPLICANT, not simulant!!  I probably picked up the latter from Red Dwarf or suchlike.  FAIL!

I hereby hand in my geek badge.  Anyone want my collection of all my sci-fi novels and DVDs before I burn the bloody lot??

Spikes

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 23 September, 2013, 05:45:32 PM

He saw Deckard's FB post about them,  ;)

In a way, it makes no real odds who's the replicant or who's the human.
When i watch the film i dont view the character's in those terms. For me, their kinda the same 'damaged goods' wishing they could be something more. Identical, in a lot of ways. Whether they was 'born' or 'manufactured' makes no great difference.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Judge Jack on 23 September, 2013, 06:13:45 PM

He saw Deckard's FB post about them,  ;)

Yeah, I can see it now:
'Life sucks. Shot a snake woman today, got home to find bloody photos all over the place, and now my piano needs retuning. Still, I had that unicorn dream again, so it's not all bad.'

Mabs

Quote from: Judge Jack on 23 September, 2013, 05:39:48 PM
It's as simple as that.

I'll concede that in the original release it seems pretty clear that Deckard is a human.  The bloody voiceover overrides any subtle nuance that may have led people to think otherwise.  Plus there was no unicorn at the end.

There are some who say that the Unicorn dream isn't Deckard's at all! I think it was Paul S. Sammon who proposed that view and gave quite a convincing theory .I'll try to see if I can dig it up from my Blade Runner 'Bible'!  ;)
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Richmond Clements

QuoteRidley has gone on record, and firmly stated his belief in regards to the old 'Is he/Isnt he' thingy.
But he's wrong.

No... I think that like it or not, he is right...