Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 13 January, 2014, 01:18:52 AM
... but you should also check out The Cars that Ate Paris

Now there's a film I'd love to check out again to see if its as much fun as I remember.

Mabs

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 13 January, 2014, 01:18:52 AM
Quote from: Mabs on 13 January, 2014, 12:31:12 AM
Also, I don't know what's become of Peter Weir of late, but with Witness, Gallipoli, and The Truman Show he has certainly cemented his place on my list of most favourite directors.

Peter Weir is someone who's always in the background and unlike many of his generation churning out consistently good and sometimes exceptional films every few years. His last one is The Way Back.

Picnic at Hanging Rock, Fearless and The Truman Show and even The Mosquito Coast are some of my favourites but you should also check out The Cars that Ate Paris and The Last Wave.

I haven't watched the latter two yet, so'll definitely give 'em a look. Thanks for the suggestions and links, Joe!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

TordelBack

I love The Last Wave, a great experiment in creating a very specific, very familiar and yet very strange feeling.  Terrific performance from the ubiquitous David Gulpilil.

Daveycandlish

RED 2 - a fun Friday night flick with an all star cast. Sod all to do with the book (but then neither was the first one) and much better for it. Recommended, preferably with a few beers.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Chris Tresson

The Breakfast Club.

John Hughes. You can't beat him!

Devons Daddy

Just watched
Despicable Me 2

I roared with laughter!! That is a very funny movie. I did not see the first one. Had a free download from apple over christmas. Was intrigued enough to rent the movie.

Truly excellent.
Family fun caper at its best.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Chris Tresson on 13 January, 2014, 10:31:25 PM
The Breakfast Club.

John Hughes. You can't beat him!

.. just find me a big enough stick and I'll put that to the test  ;)

I, Cosh

I seem to remember it getting a lot of praise on here a few months back, so I was surprised to find a copy of Harold & Maude at the bottom of a plastic crate full of my German flatmate's shoes. From Cool Hand Luke and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest to Amelie and Betty Blue, I can lap up this free spirit shit till the cows come home. Initally I found Harold himself a bit hard to take to but, as the cast of grotesques around him grew, I soon got over that and clutched them both to my bosom.
   The couple of quiet, poignant scenes were really well handled and I was pleasantly surprised that the film had the balls to go all the way. Nice one, Hal.
We never really die.

I, Cosh

Special bonus, unpublished review found in the same folder. I'll spare you all the bit where I decide The Lion King is pish.

Pretty annoyed that I didn't get round to watching Red Road until now as I found it quite mesmerising. Plot summary: quiet woman, clearly trying to cope with some emotional baggage, works as a CCTV operator; she recognises a man from her past and consequences ensue.
Like all the best films, it's cold and bleak and not afraid to be quiet and let the pictures do the talking.

It's mostly shot in parts of Glasgow I'm not terribly familiar with but there's always that frisson on recognising somewhere you know on screen. As an aside, maybe I'll get round to making a compilation of my favourite shots of Glasgow one day. From Deathwatch and Restless Natives to Trainspotting and Furious 6. I digress, the way lighting is used to make the city unfamiliar and threatening jumps out and this is something that continues as an uneasy tension is built in the strangest of ways.

Towards the end, it takes a turn for the melodramatic and unpleasant but it is constantly anchored by a really great performance from Kate Dickie.
We never really die.

Frank

I'll never watch it again, but there is something really compelling about Red Road other than the fact it was directed by Dawn from No. 73. I watched The Butler; it was in no way terrible, but it was the kind of earnest and unremarkable film you'd expect to see at 2pm on Channel Five. The only fun bits were the awful cameos from big name whities as various commanders in chief and incidental details of black popular culture. Yaya Alafia rocks an awesome afro.

Colin YNWA

Well thank you for making me 'waste' 30 minutes of my life watching YouTube clips of Sandi Toksvig and co and that glorious theme tune from No. 73. Used to love that show.

As amazed to be reminded that it was the Sandwich Quiz NOT the toast quiz as my addled memory would have had me believe!

Fungus

Had left Red Road unwatched a l-o-n-g time (comics and other stuff trump films usually) but got round to it recently. One cold/bleak film. Is it background music free ? Feel it could have been. Huge plus for me.
Background music made me abandon The Social Network the other day. That and the yackyackyackyack dialogue. Unwatchable.

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 15 January, 2014, 08:12:41 PM
Well thank you for making me 'waste' 30 minutes of my life watching YouTube clips of Sandi Toksvig and co and that glorious theme tune from No. 73.

I suffered a similar fate: great stuff altogether.  Interesting to see it again after so long - was anyone on that show not gay?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 January, 2014, 09:31:57 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 15 January, 2014, 08:12:41 PM
Well thank you for making me 'waste' 30 minutes of my life watching YouTube clips of Sandi Toksvig and co and that glorious theme tune from No. 73.

I suffered a similar fate: great stuff altogether.  Interesting to see it again after so long - was anyone on that show not gay?

During the time they both worked on it, a male work-acquaintance of mine was shagging Dawn at the height of her RollerGirl phase, so that's at least two.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 January, 2014, 10:17:44 PM
During the time they both worked on it, a male work-acquaintance of mine was shagging Dawn at the height of her RollerGirl phase, so that's at least two.

(mouth drops open)

... it wasn't a mutual acquaintance who, like the show, lived in Maidstone, Kent?