Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

Quite enjoyed this though it's 15 minutes too short! Never thought I'd say that but the last thirty minutes is breathless and could have benefitted from the more relaxed pace of the opening hour.

It's a slightly more analytical take on M:I and Bourne movies with a brutal hotel suite smackdown that could have come from one and a computer hack from the other. Moscow looks uncharactrristacally bustling and cosmopolitan (there are no lingering shots of Kremlin an Red Square on cold winters mornings; it's all neon and shiney cars).

Kiera Knightly is terrible, Brannagh is fun and Chris Pine is the third best actor to play Jack.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sauchie olympics on 09 February, 2014, 09:44:49 AM

It's got him off E4's Misfits too, if that makes things any more classy. The two titles definitely seems to be a case of the name being changed to avoid giving less discerning viewers the impression that the film might be foreign or a bit weird. The poster art gets progressively more classy and allusive the further away you get from Burbank:

I suspect the real-life Dyatlov Pass Incident is better known in Asia, too, so the name itself would have a frisson for Russians that it might not have in, say, the US or here.
@jamesfeistdraws

Ghost MacRoth

Rush

Just brilliant.  Hemsworth is very good as Hunt, but the show is most certainly stolen by Bruhl as Lauda.  I wouldn't think you'd have to be an F1 fan to enjoy this film, as the dynamic between the two rivals is compelling enough to keep your interest.   However, if you ARE an F1 fan, well.....you're in for a treat! 
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Machete.

Mrs X and I loved it.  Although it is a sign that you've become hardened to ultra-violence when the standout scene involves Machete trying to use a mobile.

"Machete don't text"
Lock up your spoons!

Frank

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 09 February, 2014, 06:04:59 PM
Rush Just brilliant.  Hemsworth is very good as Hunt, but the show is most certainly stolen by Bruhl as Lauda.  I wouldn't think you'd have to be an F1 fan to enjoy this film, as the dynamic between the two rivals is compelling enough to keep your interest.   However, if you ARE an F1 fan, well.....you're in for a treat!

I thought the drama, as in most Ron Howard joints, was a little meh, but the racing sequences more than make up for that. Every time Chris Hemsworth took his shirt off I had to do press-ups just to feel better about myself.

Ghost MacRoth

I agree that Howard's stuff does on occasion seem a tad...'beige', but on this occasion, I may have been bias to some degree due to the F1 aspect!  And yes, the racing is awesome!!
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Spikes

Event Horizon - pants then and pants now. May well have turned it off halfway through...

ZenArcade

Yep, Event Horizon wasn't exactly the George Best.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Link Prime

Quote from: Judge Jack on 09 February, 2014, 10:20:32 PM
Event Horizon - pants then and pants now. May well have turned it off halfway through...

Definitely worth a watch with a few beers, for Sam Neill's absolutely hilarious hammy performance alone.
"I am home"

Mabs

Full Metal Jacket on Channel 5 right now, one of my favourite Kubrick films of all time:

Sgt. Hartman: How tall are you, private?

Private Cowboy: Sir, five-foot-nine, sir.

Sgt. Hartman: Five-foot-nine, I didn't know they stacked shit that high!

Also, Joker's 'duality of man' speech cracks me up all the time.  :D
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

ZenArcade

Helicopter scene:  Joker: how do you know which one is the enemy- waist gunner: if they run they're VC if they stand still they're well disciplined VC - Joker: Do you ever shot women and children - waist gunner: sometimes - joker: how do you shoot women and children - waist gunner: easy, you don't lead them as much.
Repulsive but insanely funny at the same time.

ZenArcade

The film's based on a book called Short Timers by a guy called Gustav Hasford, it's a wee bit different but a great read.

Mabs

Quote from: ZenArcade on 10 February, 2014, 12:03:06 AM
The film's based on a book called Short Timers by a guy called Gustav Hasford, it's a wee bit different but a great read.

It's certainly full of dark humour. It was also filmed not too far from where I live (in what is now Canary Wharf etc). I was still at school at the time (86/87 I think) and I remember my teacher telling us that they were shooting a film in the Docklands.

I haven't read the book however, will have to rectify that.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

ThryllSeekyr

The Last Stand and Oblivion last night, but I didn't pay much attention.

ThryllSeekyr

I forgot to mention.....I have seen The Hobbit : The Desolation of Smaug.....

Here is a copy what I have to say about on Facebook.....

QuoteAs I was in Brisbane for the full day last Tuesday. I went and saw the film "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" at the Myer Centre (Cause I like it there.) for the second time since I saw it on Boxing Day last year. I didn't pay so much attention to it the first time round and I still didn't quite it all in the second time. It seemed to go on and on and on until it finally ended. If I wasn't such a J.R.R. Tolkien fan. I might have walked out. Yes, I think the problem with this film is that it seemed to long. It was the first time I saw this film last year, that I my my mind had wandered so much that I didn't even notice the ending of it when Bilbo Baggins declared "What have we done?" as Smaug the dragon flew off towards the lake town. I certainly noticed it when watching the second film, but I missed bit of it. When I took a toilet brake. Yeah, I missed the bit where the Elf-king (Forget his name.) reveals his scarred face. I saw the film later on that night and because of that. I missed the last train home and ended up spending the last part of that night and the next morning wandering the streets of Brisbane.