Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Chef.

Hugely self-indulgent, far-fetched, contrived and a high cheese-factor throughout...

....buuut I still kinda liked it anyway. The heart that went into it shines through and ultimately eclipses the flaws.

Good stuff.

Greg M.

20,000 Days on Earth (2014)

As films about Nick Cave go, this is pretty much review-proof – if you like the man, I imagine you'll enjoy it a lot, as I did. If you're not a fan, I'm not sure it'd convert you. We basically follow Cave around for a day – except the whole thing's knowingly artificial, and thus people like Ray Winstone and Kylie occasionally appear in his car for a chat and then disappear. Throughout, Cave philosophises about his music, shows us some interesting photos, drives about Brighton (where he lives) and sends himself up in a deadpan manner. Oh, and he sings too. I once saw an interview where Cave came across as sullen and belligerent – here, he comes over as a likeable, thoughtful, funny guy. The highlights are probably the bits where he chats to a therapist – it's a shame these only appear in the first half of the film, as they seem to ground everything else and provide a lot of context for the man's obsessions.

Grugz

willow creek stupidest ending since blair witch
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Sideshow Bob

Just watched 47 Ronin on Sky Movies.....

Just completely disappointing......I had expected more because it looked 'fairly' big budget...but ultimately it was lack-lustre and disappointing....It just wasn't sure what type of movie it wanted to be, so ended up being a poor pastiche of many....

Don't waste your time on this one ....If you want to pick up a decent movie about Samauri Warriers,  with some great performances, and a good story...you could do a lot worse that watch The Last Samurai starring Tom Cruise....an infinitely better movie.....( without the 'hocus pocus / witches / demons that this failed to deliver.).
Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Link Prime

Quote from: Grugz on 05 October, 2014, 10:59:47 PM
willow creek stupidest ending since blair witch

I thought so too, until I spent a bit of time Goggling Sasquatch lore.

Grugz

you mean that forest bride rubbish? why would squatchy keep humans as sex toys (and let them keep their knickers on judging by the film) unless mrs squatch had a headache ? we didn't even get a rubbish bigfoot to see .

wasn't impressed, much prefer finding bigfoot on animal planet .

although it wasn't as bad as "mountain monsters" series :lol:
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

Link Prime

Quote from: Grugz on 06 October, 2014, 11:46:44 AM
you mean that forest bride rubbish? why would squatchy keep humans as sex toys

I dunno Grugz, I kinda liked it in retrospect.
The potential of being 'kidnapped' by a Bigfoot (not always for sexual reasons) was not something I'd come across before, and I found much of the related tales and folklore I've since read quite fascinating.

For me, Willow Creek was (another) excellent film by Goldthwait.

Grugz

i just wanted to see one eat 'em both!

Link Prime

Richmond Clements

Animal Kingdom - man that was grim. Grimmer and grim. And that was the grimming of the day. Your mouth is full of grim.

You get the idea...

pictsy

I think the last film I watched was Gangs of New York.  I remember being excited to see it when it was released and hugely disappointed when I finally got to the cinema.

I gave it another go because I thought that I may have been overly harsh of the film.  Alas, in the end I felt all my grievances with the film still held true.  The ending certainly being one of them.  Really the film felt patched together loosely with too much being crammed in that the stitches start to stretch and break.  It would have been nice if it focused on the two main characters and their relationship - which was actually interesting, but it kept diverting off into unnecessary narrating in an overbearing attempt to contextualise the socio-historic setting.

Set designs were good, though.

Tiplodocus

OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN
Well I actually enjoyed this but the first hour set up and initial assault on the Whitehouse is by far the best bit.

Sadly, all of the bad guy reveals are given away by the casting.

As ever with these things it relies on some suspension of disbelief;
[spoiler]- the ground based rapid response team only appear when a ground based threat appears not when the first bogeys appear at the Whitehouse
- there's only two fighter planes covering DC? really? No helicopter gunships?
- there's a gap of about two hours where the bad guys appear to do nothing
- it relies on POTUS being dumb enough to tell his subordinates to give away two parts of a three part password that could destroy the world just to save them a bit of a kicking
- the third password can be cracked one letter at a time. You aren't playing mastermind here. Password keys (well none I have been involved with) don't go "Oooh! You got two letters right but four wrong. Now you got three letters right and three wrong!".[/spoiler]

And the quippery at the end as [spoiler]President Two Face walks though dozens of his dead countrymen and staff[/spoiler] is unforgiveable.

It's no DIE HARD for sure (even though it nearly lifts whole scenes) but it's miles better than WHITE HOUSE DOWN and PAUL BLART: MALL COP.

Oh and at least one great line:
"No, let's play a game of 'FUCK OFF'. You go first!"
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JamesC

I much preferred White House Down as it was far sillier and actioner!

Hawkmumbler

The Equalizer

Dumb as hell. The original TV series with Ewawowa was daft in that 80's late afternoon yank show way, akin to Manimal or Automan. Or, god help you, Street Hawk.
This follows the same feel just with more clean cut effects, some of which are actualy quite good (and eye getting popped out with a shot glass was possibly funnier than it should have been though).

JamesC

There's no way The Equalizer was on in the afternoon slot - it was well violent! It was an ITV after the 10 O'Clock News job!